Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tinted lacquer over sanding sealer?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Matt1011, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Matt1011

Matt1011 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Rockaway, NJ
    Just wondering if tinted lacquer will help even out my finish. The steps I took are as follows, bear in mind I messed up and had to sand the top, back and crotch of my V after I accidentally split the body installing the ferrules.

Sanded down to 320
    Applied tinted grain filler-took neutral grain filler from stewmac and added some stain.
    Sanded down to 320 again.
    Applied many many many coats of stain to get to my desired color
    Applied sanding sealer
    Split the body from the crotch to the bridge pickup
    Glued crack and sanded down again to 320 leaving the edges except the crotch which I've had a heck of a time matching
    Stained again but it's uneven.

It's not so bad but it's also not perfect, so I'm wondering if tinted lacquer will cover the uneven spots. I have so many hours into this guitar from a staining perspective that I really don't want to start over. Is it possible? It's a bummer because before I messed up it was 99℅ to my liking. Now it's about 75℅. It's my first build from scratch and very first finishing attempt so I'm OK with it not being perfect but I want to get to be the best that it can be given my mistakes. Any suggestions short of starting over with it? I'm on my second bottle of stain btw.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.