Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tinnitus questions

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by geoff_in_nc, Jun 13, 2018.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    On the tinnitus, I suggest a health care provider's analysis. It was helpful for me to know what's up, what I don't hear, and have a doctor say my family should be respectful and not be important or angry over something I can't fix. Unfortunately there was no fix for the actual problem. They said what I have going on is typical of someone my age who had industrial jobs at an earlier time.

I'm convinced those loud old Macks and Detroit Diesel engines in old poorly insulated trucks did more damage than turbos. Old Mack B series with the non-turbo 673 and 711 were loud. A Cummins engine vs Detroit was always easier on my brain.

This was part of my teenage sound track. Later on Kenworths or Volvos with Cummins were much easier on the brain.

2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2010
    Up The Creek
    Do you consume caffeine too? You said you are on high blood pressure meds, this could be a side effect causing the pulse thing. Might be tied to your BP.

My tinnitus is like a test tone. 11khz steady perfect pitch that never wavers, like a pure sign wave tone. It's always there 24/7, but I've noticed it gradually gets louder the more caffeine I consume. Otherwise it's never loud enough to keep me awake, and I don't notice it until the room I'm in becomes completely quiet. Still, I'm having a formal hearing test done in a couple weeks, first time in over 30 years. Not much they can do about it, I'm sure, but I also would like to confirm my hunch that if I have any hearing loss it is very mild.

I think mine was mainly due to remodeling my house several years ago and all the power tools I used. I wore gloves, knee pads, goggles, hats, etc.....but I never covered my ears. The hand held circular saw was particularly offensive.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    its always the best way and saves you from guessing , all the best with it!

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around

5. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 9, 2007
    "Raleigh-wood"
    I do drink a fair amount of coffee but I've never paid any attention to a correlation .. I'll have to watch that.

BTW thanks all for the responses!

viccortes285 likes this.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The therapy I was reading about is relatively recent— last five years, maybe?

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I have a ringing in my ears and have had it for about three years, my doctor thinks it due to the Morphine and other opioids.
    I think that it will take care of itself in time.

8. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    I've had it for years (loud work environment, loud music, gunfire) and it too pulses with my heartbeat. No blood pressure issues. I've had it so long that I can sorta forget about it for long periods until I think about it. I will be very happy when they find a cure.

9. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have had it for a few years, and I can definitely tell it has gotten louder (worse) as time has passed.

I am hopeful there will be some sort of cell-regeneration therapy that can either heal, or fix the hairs that have been damaged.

The way I figure it, if they can clone kittens and sheep, there ought to be a way to clone the damaged hairs inside the cochlea.

I did find it interesting that folks either suffer from two forms of tinnitus: Subjective and Objective.

In Subjective, only you can hear it, as it is the perception of hearing the noise, via the damaged pathway, and your brain interprets it as noise.

With the Objective version, your Doctor can actually hear what you are hearing during an appointment, and this is usually a blood vessel or damaged bone issue...

Either way, I cannot wait til someone figure out how to fix it.

I've grown weary of listening to it...
    ~syf

10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

This article covers the range of modalities used for treating tinnitus. The good news is that some patients report
    significant improvement with treatment, especially for more severe cases. The bad news is that overall current treatments have at best mixed results. No sure fire cure right now for either subjective or objective tinnitus. There are several drug based approaches, as well as
    cognitive behavioral-- "tinnitus retraining therapy".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3227628/

11. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina

i am surprised that I am not hard of hearing from working around F4s and B52s without hearing orotection. I notice that I have tinnitus when I am in a quiet room. I don't seem to have any major hearing oroblems, I watch TV with the sound at a lower volume, and I don't have problems hearing people speak.

Toto'sDad likes this.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Count yourself lucky! I lost the one good ear I had left when I was too close to a .357 magnum without hearing protection. I had blood in my ear for quite a while, I really took a blast from that thing. It wasn't the person's fault shooting (my wife) someone tapped me on the shoulder and I reached up pushed my earmuffs back thinking she was empty, but just then she fired her final round about three feet from my right ear. After several months my ear began to get better but it's never fully recovered and that has been almost eighteen years ago.

13. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    I think it was the F4s that got me. Im 65 and started noticing about 10 years ago. It hasn't gotten much worse but it is a major pain. Doctors just look at you and tell you there isn't anything they can do. On the plus side, I shouldn't have to live with it for all that much longer.

rad1 and OneHenry like this.

14. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I have reduced hearing in both ears.

Probably from being in the drum corp in high school, rehearsing in small choir rooms with cinder block walls, thin commercial carpeting on the floor and slight spray on acoustic dampening on the ceiling 20+ feet above.

Field drums are made to be heard across a field. And teenagers aren't known for moderation...

Then the loud concerts. Probably loudest was Metallica in 1988 on the And Justice for All.. tour. 4 of use shoving cigarette butts into our ears so we could stand being 30 feet away from the left side mains.

Next day at school our ears were still ringing.

Then the loud engines I was exposed to going to races. Remember seeing Can Am cars running at Mid Ohio 30-40 feet away from the track.

Of course I was a firearm enthusiast for half my life, and even though I wore ear muffs (good ones with microphones and speakers in them so I could hear range commands and talk) there was always a tiny bit of SPL getting through.

Worked in kitchens a lot growing up, and the constant thrum of exhaust hoods would make me so aware of the silence once I left work.

I have a steady high pitched static sound in my head all the time. Need to have background noise/sound so I don't go crazy.

15. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2006
    Kansas City
    Mine rings in A, so i just go with it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.