Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Timeline, events, etc. for wedding gig

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Junkyard Dog, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Here's what we got for an upcoming wedding. No way they will hold to the timeline, but seems like a good plan of attack in general. What do ya'll think?

To help with your planning, here is your timeline for the day. Please let us know if it okay, or if you have any suggestions or questions. Here we go for Saturday, June 30!

3:00PM - The venue opens for setup
    4:45PM - Begin playing Spotify playlist “Cocktail Hour” (in case people show up early)
    5:00PM - Cocktail hour begins (that means for you guys too, grab a beer!)
    5:30PM - Parents and Wedding Party Grand Entrance - Can you please announce the names and play during our entrances? Songs are totally at your discretion (Hey Good Lookin would be fun if it works and doesn’t mess up your set later on). Entrances will be in the following order:
    Parents of the Groom...names removed
    Parents of the Bride...names removed
    Groomsman and Bridesmaid...names removed
    Groomsman and Bridesmaid...names removed
    Best Man and Maid of Honor...names removed
    Mr and Mrs...names removed!!!!!!!!
    5:40PM - Mr and Mrs’s first dance - please play Whatever It Is - Zac Brown Band (on iPhone under playlist “First Dance”)
    5:45PM - Brides’s Dad will borrow your mic to make a brief welcome speech
    5:50PM - Groom's Dad will borrow your mic to say a brief prayer before dinner
    5:55PM - Please let folks know that dinner is ready, time to grab a plate and get to eating (food will be buffet style)! The wedding party will need to go grab their plates first, then everyone else is welcome to make their way the buffet table.
    Please play the Spotify playlist “Dinner”
    Please be sure to grab your plates!!
    6:35PM - Toasts begin while people continue to eat their dinner
    Best Man will borrow your mic to make his toast
    Maid of Honor will borrow your mic to make her toast
    6:45PM (or whenever the toasts are over)
    Mother-Son dance for Groom and his Mom - please play Through The Years - Kenny Rogers (on iPhone under playlist “Mother Son Dance”)
    Father-Daughter dance for Bride and her Dad - please play Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins (on iPhone under playlist “Father Daughter Dance”)
    6:55PM (or whenever the Father Daughter dance is done) - the photographer will take a group photo on the dance floor immediate before you guys start playing - please make an announcement asking everyone to come onto the dance floor for a photo (they way we can get a photo of everyone there, and then everyone is on the floor when you guys start playing - voila!)
    7:00PM-8:10PM - Your first set
    8:10PM-8:30PM - you guys take a break and we’ll cut the cake and serve coffee and tea. Please let people know that we’ll be cutting the cake and play the Spotify playlist “Cake Cutting”
    8:30PM-9:50PM - Your second set
    9:50PM - please call last song asking everyone to join us on the dance floor for one last song of the night - at the end of the song, please let people know that we will be leaving and please help play us out the door (and if you guys happen to know a few bars of Happy Trails that would be hilarious, otherwise, whatever sounds good to your ear to end the night on a high note).
    10:00PM - reception ends
    11:00PM - we need to be cleaned up and out of the venue

2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I wish more people were this organized.... sure it may drift, but it's great to at least know the order of the events so you can be prepared - and know what is expected of you.

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Agree. The last wedding I played we had absolutely zero instructions. Moments before the wedding party entered, the wedding planner said she would need me to announce the names. Fine. No problem. Just give me the names, I said. She says she has them on her phone and for me to give her my number and she will just text them to me. Well, I don't have a phone on me I tell her. She becomes infuriated and "what do you mean you don't have a phone??!?" and so forth. I try to calmly explain that while I do own a phone, it is in my vehicle parked outside. Anyway, after this ordeal, the groom walks right up to the stage and says he and his uncle would like to use our guitars to perform some special song for the bride. And...it just went on and on from there.

4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I have also been informed that...

"Our wedding coordinator, will have an iPhone on hand with music loaded on it. She will hand this off to you at the beginning of the night. I’ll also bring it to the walk through Tuesday so that you can see how we have the playlists set up, it’s very simple. We have Spotify premium so there will not be ads and all songs will be loaded on the device so they will not require an internet connection to play. We have each of these songs saved so if you could just hit “play” at the appropriate moment, that would be fantastic."

I see all sorts of possible SNAFUs with me having to use this lady's phone to play the music.

5. jazzereh

jazzereh TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yep, definitely good to have a plan like this. At least the couple have thought things through. I've played a good number of weddings both with this kind of instruction going in and without. Fortunately no disasters as JD has posted.

First thing I'd say is that I've never played a wedding that stayed on schedule so plan for that.
    Secondly, when do you guys get to eat? That's a long booking and I always advise clients that the band needs this time and that the dinner is provided as part of the booking.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    They did include time for the band to eat. I usually don't eat at these kinds of gigs or at least don't mow down a whole plate...I might have a victory beer towards the end. Yeah, it's a long one...probably will be 7 hours for me at the venue. Pays $300, so...not terrible, not great. Thankfully I have been shielded from the customer and am just getting these emails forwarded to me from the bass player who books us. I think he has met with them in person THREE times already.

7. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've played a bunch of weddings, and it's funny how the band/frontman (me in this case) ends up doing more of the organizing than the blasted wedding "planner" (if they even have them). On many occasions I just told the bride and groom to give me a loose idea of what they wanted, and then I just took over - the guy with the microphone gets the most attention!

I have a cheap wireless mic that I bring for the toasts, which works way better than trying to get drunk Uncle Charlie on the stage to say a few words.

In one wedding, I was also best man. There was a girl who was going to sing a couple of songs during the ceremony, and totally freaked out when I tried to show her my little powered mixer, and connecting her phone made her panic even worse.

So I went old school - I made 4 CDs, and labeled them 1-4 and the name of the one song on there (yup, one song per CD, except for the last one, which was the walkout music). I showed her how to swap the CDs in my little portable player and had one piece of bright tape next to the Play button. No fumbling with playlists and menus, and it all worked out just fine.

One of the very first weddings I played was a really big event. We were supposed to play something like 3 sets. But granny wanted to hear some polka music, so I stuck a cassette in that they handed me (pre-CD days!) and off they went. We finally got to play, and about half way through the first set they announced they were leaving, etc. So we stopped playing. The bride's father came up to us and gushed about how great we were and how he couldn't believe how long we had played! He must have thought we snuck an accordion on stage to play all those polkas!

Cheers,
    Doug

Tele1966 and Paul in Colorado like this.

8. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    and then the battery dies.

9. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Mar 19, 2003
    Paris region, France
    On most European wedding receptions you would still have many hours to go at that point. If not days.

Deeve likes this.

10. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    Are you responsible for playing the wedding march over the PA? You will need to have all that extra music dialed in.

I must say @Junkyard Dog, after reading the timeline you are "literally" venturing into the eye of a hurricane.

11. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Depending on the size of the guest list, they'll never feed everyone from a buffet in an hour. Nor cake everyone in 20 minutes.

Junkyard Dog likes this.

12. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    No, we won't have to deal with that. The wedding ceremony is somewhere else...we won't even be there for it.

Tele1966 likes this.

13. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have a CD with multiple versions of the Wedding March - short (90 sec), medium (2 min), and long (4 min), depending on how far they have to march!

Plus some other assorted wedding music like Canon in D, Bridal Chorus (Here Comes the Bride) (again, multiple length versions), A Thousand Years (very popular), etc.

I have a few assorted country tunes (hey I'm in Texas) like George Strait's You're something Special to Me.

And for fun, if they don't have anything very well planned music wise, I like to throw in (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher by Jackie Wilson, and Celebration by Kool and the Gang.

So I always have something in my back pocket, even if I'm not supposed to be the main provider of music.

Cheers,
    Doug

P.S. I don't do DJ work, and I'm old school, so I keep a variety of CDs for break music too, depending on the crowd (RnR, polka, country, etc). And of course none of them have songs that the band plays. But I don't have music on my phone or laptop at a gig.

Junkyard Dog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.