Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Time between cuts

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GotTheSilver, Apr 21, 2017.

1. GotTheSilver

GotTheSilver TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Hi,

I have a pretty basic question. How long should you wait between cutting your neck shape out of the neck blank and glueing on the fingerboard?

I ask because I have been told different things. One person told me you should cut out the neck and glue it to the fingerboard the same day, so that if things move they move together. Someone else told me that you should wait at least a few days after cutting the neck before gluing the fingerboard to it, as this allows the neck to move and you can refine it before glueing on the fretboard, resulting in lower internal tension.

Is there a right or wrong answer to this?

Thanks,
    John

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    What happens if they move together in the wrong direction? I think it is wise to cut the wood a bit oversize and and let it move, then make the neck to its final dimensions. That's what I do. I've done it other ways and was sorry for it once in a while.

Dunkerhook and nosmo like this.
  3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I never make the first cut the final cut. I like to leave some time for internal stresses to work their way out and to make sure everything is acclimated. Just make sure you leave some extra material on...

EDIT: If you are hand planing before gluing, it's good to glue shortly after the last planing passes, since modern glues bond at a small scale level. Then again, I've done it other ways and the joints still hold, but give them a few more decades and I can give you more input :)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. GotTheSilver

GotTheSilver TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the responses. This confirms what I was thinking.

The guy that told me to cut the neck and glue on the fingerboard in the same day attended one of the well known schools of lutherie, which is why I wanted to consider this approach. In the end, giving the wood time to move before doing final cuts and gluing makes a lot of sense to me.

DrASATele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.