Tiger did it!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Apr 14, 2019.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Within the bounds of the Decorum of the Forum, frankly I don't have any warm feelings headed your way right now. Defending Lance Armstrong is a truly disgusting thing. And Equating this Woods guy to him is IMO outrageous.

And you can go back through the annals of this Forum - I'm a pretty stalwart fan of any golfer other than Woods. I just happen to think it was a great thing for him to come back like this, and at least win this one Masters.

Back in the days of Hinault and LeMond, I had so many friends who followed bikes. Then came the Cult of Armstrong, and to go against him would be to deny 9/11 or something. He defined the sport and used his cancer story as a shield to enable himself to go lots of drugs and really, the authorities feared what would happen if they outed him. As for the competition, you could either dose some also, or retire. Or do what Marco Pantani did.

So in the end, and this applies triple to the USA, pro bike racing was destroyed by the mendacity of Lance Armstrong. Woods' actions, to the contrary, will in the end have a net favorable impact on Pro Golf. What we're actually looking at is two people far different than you would have us believe.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Georox and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Me too. From whence he's come, to fall so far and hard, physically and morally, to experience the exhilaration and then the shame. It transcends sports. It's inspirational. I'm very happy for him, his children and his mom.
    Some jackass on Twitter (they are the same) posted a picture of him receiving accolades on the course alongside his mug shot. I hate that stuff.
    His swing is the best I've ever seen it. Much smoother and relaxed. No longer grip and rip. Like an aging pitcher has to learn how to pitch after he's lost his fastball, Tiger looks pretty good for what every thought was a washed up 43 year old professional golfer!!!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This is very thoughtful. We can always hope its the case that he's finally grown up (took me 'till I was 33).
    It is alleged he took PEDs, he started messing around with that Navy Seal training and then he won Torrey Pines on a bad knee which probably affected his swing and his back. I'm not certain of the temporal sequence but your are correct, he got away from what he did best.
    I'm just glad to see him with his kids and Mom enjoying the moment. Brought a tear to my eye.

4. NewKid

NewKid TDPRI Member

Red Sox 2004 comeback was the greatest in sports history for me and I'm a die-hard Yankee fan. That was one of the most frustrating weeks I can remember when those dirty, hairy, Red Sox players just would not quit. Hats off to them for ending the curse of the Bambino.

Tiger Woods was the reason I took up golf in 1997. Today I would rather buy another Tele or amp than spend my money on a round of golf.

Milspec and boris bubbanov like this.
  5. boris bubbanov

I think many folks thought, if the circumstances were right, and he was within range like this, he might find the Old Tiger. There is something of a Finesse that, once you have it, you've got an ability to close the next guy may simply not have.

I just assumed, he'd have a bad day on one of the lead-in days and fall out of range. I remember when I saw him that few strokes behind going into the final day I thought "oh".

I can just imagine Molinari, looking over his shoulder (so to speak) and being spooked. Not a single other contestant in the top 18 blew up to a 74 like that. But Woods had to play well to get Molinari to start messing up, I think. There's nothing like a veteran golfer to put on a charge and get the top guy thinking too much about the wrong things.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A funny thing happens as you grow older. It gets harder and harder to criticize anyone for anything, because if you're honest you probably have done the same thing you are criticizing someone else for, or maybe even worse. I have done some things I'm not proud of, even done things I hope no one ever finds out about. I have a mean streak that runs through me that my daddy gave me, and it's just there. My mother was a gentle soul, and took life as it came to her. In my latter years I have tried to temper my inherited disposition from my dad, with some of my mother's.

There have been times the mean streak saved my life, there have been times when it hurt my life, sometimes badly. We are what we are. Tiger is the sum total of his life, and unless you are really pure in heart, and I seriously doubt that you are, it might not be a bad thing to temper your judgement. Unless of course you're one of those 18 handicap guys on the internet that can drive the ball 300 yards right down the middle and put like a demon, at least on the internet.

Pointmonger, JL_LI, P Thought and 5 others like this.
  7. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Actually, PEDs are not only used for building strength: anabolic and corticosteroids are well-known in medical literature as indicated for enhancing and speeding recovery from injuries. I would imagine that any use he made of PEDs were for the latter, rather than former, and IMO, that is a perfectly reasonable adjunct to other medical treatment for a professional athlete while sidelined with injury.

Otherwise, I was really interested to see that he had won yesterday. That's a heck of a thing, after a decade of trouble.

dan1952 likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Some people affect others with a natural intimidation that they don't even have to turn on, it's just there. If you were to go back and watch the 1986 Masters that Jack Nicklaus won, you would be amazed at the really good players of the day who did the same thing that Molinari and the others did in the final round of this years Masters. When the then great players heard the Jack roars, they started shaking in their boots, or golf shoes as it were.

It's funny, yesterday when Tiger won, I was out playing golf. When Jack won, I was out playing golf, when I heard he had won, after my round I rushed home and watched it on my then whizzy VCR! At first I thought there must have been a mistake, but as the event unfolded sure enough Jack had won. Great players threw it in reverse and came back to him, then just pulled over and let him by. It didn't help Ballesteros that people were chanting hit it in the water on 15 which he did. Tiger has his crowds, and they love him. When Jack Nicklaus first came on tour the crowds hated him, and loved Arnold Palmer. If Palmer hit it in the trees, the ball was kicked or thrown back out in the fairway by one of Arnold's Army. You'll always have that, it's human nature. Finally the crowds warmed to the "fat man" as Nicklaus was often referred to, and the rest is history.

Chip and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

To those of you who don't play golf, you cannot imagine the pressure of playing golf in even a local tournament or for that matter for fifty bucks against a buddy. The air gets thinner the closer you get to winning, the putts look like they're breaking both ways. Putting is probably the worst, people get the yips, and can't take the putter back, sometimes it just goes off in their hands. The only thing in life that comes close to the pressure of winning at golf is kind of like a young man's first experience in matters of the heart, sometimes the pressure is so great, the race is over before it even starts.

Georox, rcole_sooner and 8barlouie like this.
  10. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ve been a fan of Tiger Woods since I saw him on the Mike Douglas Show way back in the 70s. I remember calling my brother into the room and telling him we were going to be hearing more about this little kid. Sure enough, we all did. He’s got laser focus, works harder, and practices longer than most any athlete you can name. Ok, he effed up. Big time. So have I. So have most of us. He did his time and paid his dues. Then, he worked and worked, and got healed, and worked and worked some more. He had major problems trying to get back in the game and suffered one embarrassing set back after another. But through it all, he never gave up. He kept working.

That is why I admire and respect Tiger Woods.

68tele, MattyK-USA and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Would that it could ... but I can't connect the dots like that. I don't see how any athlete's accomplishments are relevant.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

I lived outside Columbus, OH as Jack came to the fore, and so locally the OH people went for Jack and the PA people stayed with Arnie. All the caddying I ever did in this world was within a few miles of Columbus and there were nothing but Nicklaus fans among those golfers. I don't think anyone there ever ordered an "Arnold Palmer" in the clubhouse (not that I spent more than 5 seconds in there).

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. boris bubbanov

Often, they're not. And when they are significant, they usually break the other way. This IMO is the exception.

I'm awkward, in the role of Optimist. But someone's got to be that guy, right now.

Musicians cannot change the World either. Except when they do.

P Thought and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I am on the fence- agnostic about Tiger in many ways. It does seem to me he has become more human over the years, and his fall from
    grace had something to do with that. I was actually thinking that you really couldn't write a better movie script. Title: The Comeback.

You see, for the movie to be good, the protagonist has to first suffer a serious fall from grace, brought about by his own inner demons.
    Then you need to have additional woes piled on to make the comeback seem even more impossible-- for example, multiple back surgeries. Then the script
    calls for the protagonist to have some moral epiphanies-- to realize that the world doesn't revolve around him. Then the script calls for him
    to approach the game with a totally new mindset and newly found humility. He no longer focuses on himself, but more on his family: he realizes he needs
    to be a role model for his sons so they learn from a redeemed father what it is to be a real mensch.

Whether the reality tracks the story line perfectly or not is immaterial-- it's close enough that any decent Hollywood writer could polish it up
    in the final editing.

15. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

You are correct, @bsman !

16. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Big news - a 500 pound gorilla was taught to play golf. The big day comes for his exhibition. Gorilla tees it up on a 630 yard par 5. Swings his driver like a pro, hits his drive 300 yards. 330 left to the green, gorilla walks up, hits a 4 wood 300 yards to about 30 yards from the green. Gorilla walks up, takes out his pitching wedge, takes a perfect swing. Gorilla hits the pitching wedge 300 yards...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

In every single one of Tiger's first 14 major victories, he was leading going into the final round. Every one. In the 1997 Masters at the age of 21, he won by 12 strokes. Do you think he was doping in the PGA at the age of 21?

I'm not fan of Tiger, but I think you're full of it regarding PED use being responsible for his success.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

haha, yeah I'm glad for Tiger and all, but he ain't uniting this country by winning the Masters.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't follow any of it in much detail but these things stand out.
    1. It appears that a rough time has passed for Tiger Woods. I hope the guy and anyone struggling can stay on a better path.
    2. I'm glad he won at that place knowing it's history and what I remember as a kid. When I was a kid most of the golf courses near our town still had restricted signs.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

France is pulling together now.

william tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.