Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Started measuring things here and there: width and thickness of the body where it meets the neck compared to the neck's current dimensions, depth of the mortise, length of the body from the butt end to where it meets the neck, etc., and it actually seems like maybe I haven't screwed anything up yet!

I'm sort of fired up now, and it's a bummer that it's only Tuesday... Weekend seems far away...

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Rick,
    When did you write a book?
    Rob

LeftFinger likes this.

3. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Rick
    In your book make sure to mention that the problem with the duck cement is the feathers whereas monkey glue only has problems with fur and crowd control

Barncaster likes this.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Sharp chisel?

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Why, Rob, I'm surprised you haven't figured out my secrets yet. First, I am Dan Earlewine, knower and diseminator of all that is right and holy about guitar-fixing and making, and
    (2) My books are all ghost written by famed writing firm of Mr. Simian Yeknom, a subsidiary of Fusion GPS, at an undisclosed location.

I think Lefty tumbled onto half my secret, with his comment above. I will also mention that in addition to poo, mashed banana , ape fur, and spit on the pages, maintaining the steady flow of malted adult beverages is amongst the other frustrations of this mode of production.

In the publicity photo below, Mr. Y's lead typist, Susehr Dragknuckle, had to be restrained so we could use Duck adhesive to affix his hat, accounting for his somber look. He is a studious fellow, not taken with frivolities like hats.

[​IMG]

oheare likes this.

6. Barncaster

Well Rick, I mean Dan,

I’m glad you are working with Simian and Susehr. Solid guys.... er whatever.

That look on Susehr’s face might not be from being restrained as he is known for partaking in such dalliances but I digress. The look is probably the result of the previous night’s malt hydration attempts gone wrong.

Keep us up to date on any forthcoming novels and luthier glue recipe developments. Jup would probably like a little fur to go with the DPP.

Rob

7. LeftFinger

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Rob
    I think the look on Susehr’s face may have more to do with the use of the aforementioned glue in Crowd control mode to hold the aforementioned Susehr in his/her chair.
    I see Susehr is using the old Borcamatic 2001 that only types in one color of crayon.

Barncaster likes this.

8. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    My bit for cutting the mortise arrived, and it's a HONKER!
    IMG_3671.JPG

Here's hoping my Bosch laminate trimmer can spin it....

LowThudd and Colors like this.

9. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Karma.
    Even the router bit verges on DPP.

Rock-Ola and Barncaster like this.

10. Barncaster

Do you sense a theme developing here?

Zepfan likes this.

11. LeftFinger

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    It's pretty
    The problem I had with big bits and 1/4" shanks was keeping the bit tight. Could have been the crappy sears router

12. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Man, that is a honker. Tiny bites, take tiny bites. Make women and children leave the room . . .

Barncaster and tdoty like this.

13. LeftFinger

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    but Rick it's Pretty
    It's hot pink
    mine are mostly the color of
    well monkey pee :oops:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Barncaster likes this.

14. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Ottawa
    Uh, hate to mention it, but that text and the background colour of the forum are dang near the same.

Barncaster likes this.

15. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Would that be the color of monkey pee?

Barncaster and oheare like this.

16. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Ottawa
    Welp, I may be in the minority around here, but I'm not terribly familiar with the colours of assorted simian excretions.

..but probably.

Barncaster likes this.

17. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yeah, these KERV bits are a very unintimidating color; makes you feel like they would never do anything to hurt you.

But ya still gotta LOOK OUT!

Barncaster likes this.

18. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I have blue ones, and orange ones, and red ones, a white one, and several with no color at all, but none with pink, DPP, or monkey pee yellow.

Yes, think of the pink as the color of torn flesh, just a millisecond before the blood starts gushing out. They’re all waiting for a chance to do that-never trust a machine that uses power to tear wood asunder.

BluesBlooded likes this.

19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Remember when I thought I had accidentally cut the neck blank too short? Back like two years ago? What, you don't remember that?? I couldn't figure out what I did wrong, until very recently. Turns out that I HADN'T made a mistake; I had just forgotten about the 4° back tilt. When I cut that into the heel, everything lined up like it was supposed to. Heh heh.

Tonight I worked on the tenon. I needed to cut the bottom of it to the appropriate thickness for the depth of the mortise. Of course, the mortise isn't cut yet, but I need to get things close enough so that I can test fit it when the mortise is ready.

I measured 1.5" from the top of the neck blank, with a little bit of cushion, drew a line, and mounted the neck onto a piece of extruded alum.
    IMG_3672.JPG

Used that to keep the neck straight and square against the bandsaw fence.
    IMG_3674.JPG

Kinda worked.
    IMG_3676.JPG

Then after a bit of chiseling, I think the tenon is about 90% there--which is to say, about half the work on it is done. :D
    IMG_3677.JPG

And it's only Friday night! :)

Next thing I think is to dig around in all the jigs and forms I used to build the body and work out a way to hold it flat and level. If I can do that, then it'll be time to cut the throat (I dunno what you call it, but I mean the part of the body where it meets the neck) to length and nice and square to the center line of the body.

And if I can do THAT, then it'll be time to figger out a way to get a 4° angle on my router table rails... it would be awesome (and surprising) if I could cut that mortise this weekend... oh well, if I get that far by March I will reckon I'm on schedule.

20. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Looking good Jup!!

Jupiter likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.