Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Changed my mind. LOL

I decided that since I'd already drawn the lines for the 4° back tilt at the heel, I'd saw that before routing.
    IMG_3639.JPG

I used a ruler as a guide and made the first cut with my fret saw, because it doesn't flex.
    IMG_3640.JPG

Then I made the second cut with a Japanese flush-cut saw, riding along the tenon.
    IMG_3641.JPG

Not perfect but within a few chisel cuts.
    IMG_3642.JPG

NOW we'll set up the router table...

RogerC and Barncaster like this.
  2. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I'm so, uh, tickled, to see this moving forward again. Good work, Jup.

3. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

4. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So I routed a bit more off the sides. Nuthin to see, really. After that I worked on squaring up the headstock plate where it fits against the nut.
    IMG_3643.JPG

And I got the transition cleaned up enough so that I can cut the binding channel.
    IMG_3644.JPG

And then, because I'm an idiot, I tried to force the nut into that slot and busted the end of the binding loose on the treble side. :oops: A little CA got it back on there, but now I have a little CA to clean up.

1. Neck binding is stupid.
    2. The more you fuss around, the greater the chance of work damage.

ANYWays, I guess I'm at the point now where I can start experimenting with binding channel width and depth. I also need to fill some gaps in the FB binding. Adventures in Acetone!

BluesBlooded and Mat UK like this.
  5. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I don't have any good pics of the binding thing cuz there's no time to goof around with acetone, but what I did was rip a thin little strip of binding on the bandsaw, then stuck it onto the low spot with acetone, then scraped it flat. Dunno if it'll ultimately be invisible or not once it's glued onto the neck and sanded a bit.

Edit: okay, FB's all right, headstock transition is close enough to route binding channels. Not bad for an afternoon's work.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    oheare likes this.
  6. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I’d go out, find, and post Bob Dylan’s I Was So Much Older Then, I’m Younger Than That Now, but I’m at church and can’t be bothered.

That linked-video response garnered a staunch chuckle from me.

And, as always, lookin’ good Jup. Can’t wait for the DPP

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Okay, so I got this bit from S-M a while ago, and I'm itchin to try it out.
    IMG_3646.JPG

Made a test cut on a piece of maple. It's actually a hair deeper than I wanted (I'd rather scrape binding than sand headstock), but really just a teensy bit, and I'll have to sand router burn off anyways, so <shrug>.
    IMG_3647.JPG

I set the width so that the HS binding goes just a hair past the edge of the nut, so there'll be a bit of continuity between FB and HS binding.
    IMG_3648.JPG

And then I just did it.
    IMG_3649.JPG

Got a teensy chip out on one of the corners of the ebony; Guess I'll pack some dust in the corner after the binding goes on.

Looks all right, I guess! Made a heluva mess of my bench, though... :eek:
    IMG_3650.JPG

I'm sort of chomping at the bit to glue the binding on, but something is telling me to drill out the tuner holes, do final thicknessing of the headstock and rough out the volute first, just to slightly reduce the danger of work damage to the binding. That's prolly wise, huh?

8. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I did cut the binding though.
    IMG_3652.JPG

I promise I was REALLY careful! Took a few tries and I used up a whole length of S-M binding to get the size right.
    IMG_3653.JPG

I think that'll look nice. Now I'm debating between CA and acetone for this...

Barncaster likes this.
  9. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

May 13, 2015
    Cicero, IL
    Great to see you doing God's work right there jupe, can't wait to see the finished product

10. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Thanks, Lord! I dunno if it's his work I'm doing, but I sure talk to him a lot while I'm at it.

So I'm looking at these hipshot tuners last week, and wondering about the holes I need to drill. Google "hipshot installation" and guys are talking about 25/64ths bits and .388" bits, and I'm like, "wut?" o_O Why in blazes would you make a part where the hole diameter could be almost whatever you want, and make it 25/64"?? Who the heck has a 25/64" bit lying around? So I start digging through my bits and drilling test holes. 9mm: too tight. 9.5mm: hmm, a bit of reaming would do it. Then a light comes on--10mm: bingo! :) Now THERE'S a nice round number for ya! I shoulda guessed from the weirdness of the Imperial measurement that it was actually metric.

Man I pity you poor buggers still trying to deal with inches. :rolleyes:

:D

11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    This post reminded me of the book Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

12. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    yeh, minus the zen part

and the art part

Barncaster and Rock-Ola like this.
  13. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice work Jup. Yeah, that probably is wise - this is from my current build ...and I need to drill 12 holes in that thing! Lots of scope for things to go wrong.:eek: Your patience on the other hand is admirable - but could you move it on a bit faster:) Can't wait to see it in all its DPP glory. Cheers.

[​IMG]

14. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Good to keep the motorcycle bit though

Jupiter likes this.
  15. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Drilled halfway through from the front, then the rest of the way from the back, to avoid a blowout when the bit went through.

IMG_3654.JPG

Spent a LONG time lining up the bit with the pilot hole in each case. Thought I was nailing it at first, but there was a bit of drift on the last three holes. Doesn't really matter, since the bushings that go in from the front are smaller than 10mm diameter anyway, but it's annoying when you try to do something but get inconsistent results...

Test fitting the tuners demonstrated that the headstock needs to lose about 2mm in thickness yet. I used the Saf-T Planer last time, and it worked okay, but it's kind of a hassle setting up the drill press for it so I think I'll try my luck with a fence for the OSS. I can rough in the volute at the same time then.

ModerneGuy likes this.
  16. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I like that headstock--but I don't envy you trying to drill those holes...

17. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So I tried the OSS.
    IMG_3655.JPG

I did not do a great job.
    IMG_3656.JPG

Took some elbow grease.
    IMG_3657.JPG

And about 45 more minutes.
    IMG_3658.JPG

So much for leaving a bit of extra thickness...:rolleyes:

Hm, maybe I can stick the binding on tomorrow...

18. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    As I student of history I thought I would do some archaeology and find the source of the river Nile

I managed to follow it upstream to the Jurassic Period, and found this specimen in the image below

What say you of this fossilized post, gentlemen of the Royal Institute? The higher, more recent layer of sediments contained a stegosaurus building a jazz archtop, if that helps date it. My own instincts suggest it post dates the Permian Extinction, but I would welcome opinions

Screenshot_2018-02-11-11-47-23.png

LeftFinger likes this.
  19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    "Six months": what was I thinking? LOL

20. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Maybe 'month' is a slang Japanese term meaning '1000 years'?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.