Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    FWIW, that's reading 94.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Oh, I thought it was 86.

Don’t let the angle thing buffalo you. You’re gonna mock it up with bridge, tailpiece and other parts anyway, right? Nothing is permanent until you glue it (although I will admit to some wonky shimming on the rare occasion . .) Regardless of what the maths tell you, if it’s right, it’s right, or else needs some tweaking, when you dry-fit it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Not just that, but Jup's in Japan, so that's metric.

Let's see, googling "converting metric ° to imperial °". Ok, so it's 94° celsius ...

Holy cow, Jup. You've really messed something up there. According to the calculator I found on Google, that's a 201° neck angle :eek:

LowThudd and RLee77 like this.

4. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    No way man, I got the plans right here. It's...oh...wait a minnit...
    IMG_3552.JPG
    Dang...

5. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Ottawa
    Only another 79 pages to catch up to this year -- subscribed, for sure.

6. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That's okay, we'll wait.

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Mkay, so I'm trying to figure out how to cut the birdseye view profile of the neck. I had already roughed out the horizontal profile a while ago (like over a year ago...), so I'm not working with a trued-up block of wood. There's only one dressed face, which is the part where the FB is going to go, so I need to key off of that.

The only way I could think of to do this is to use the router table. I'll make a mdf template with the neck width and the tenon on it. I've spend most of the day plotting this out, measuring and double-checking against my plans.
    IMG_3554.JPG

It has been time-consuming, but I think it has helped me to visualize the geometry of the neck joint. I know that in fact it's not that complicated of a joint, but since I've been sort of winging it, and not necessarily doing things in the best order for a smooth workflow, I really need to double-check things to make sure I don't accidentally cut off some wood I might need later...

Things I have thought about:
    • Gotta remember to cut off that part of the tenon that fills up the PU cavity before I glue the neck in; I have NO way to do it afterwards (routing will NOT be possible).
    • I'm very concerned about getting the mortise route snug and straight; I'll have to spend a long time messing around on that jig.
    • The "throat" of the body (the part where the heel of the neck meets the body) is not cut to length yet, because I might need extra length there due to my PDF plan not printing out precisely (it's a long boring story I mentioned back 20 pages or so); need to think out how that might affect bridge placement, etc.
    • If I use a template to route the tenon, I'll still need to hand cut the inside corners. Also, since I don't have very long pattern-following bits, I'll have to do a fair bit of hand cutting elsewhere as well.
    • I need to find a way to tilt my template 4 degrees when I get to the tenon part.
    • Etc.

8. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Ottawa
    You're too kind!

9. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So I'm making a template for the top-view outline of the neck. To get the sides perfectly straight, I'm going to route the template against a piece of high-precision extruded aluminum.
    IMG_3574.JPG

Problem is, my routing station is out here...
    IMG_3575.JPG

That snow has been hanging around the better part of a week. Not arctic conditions, of course, but still, it's kinda cold to be goofing around outside...

Got the sides done, and then set up to do the tenon.
    IMG_3577.JPG

Easy Peasy, except that of course, the router can't get the inside corners.
    IMG_3579.JPG

I started to chisel em, then quit because the same thing's gonna happen when I do the neck itself. Not much looking forward to trying to chisel perfectly straight, true faces at those points, but it's pretty much an unavoidable step at some point down the line.

So the next plan is to stick that template onto the top of the neck, flip it over, and use the router table to get the sides of the neck and tenon into shape.
    IMG_3581.JPG

The outline is about 1mm wide; just being conservative. I'll file it when I do the back contour. I made the tenon a coupla hairs wider than spec too, just in case something goes bad when I do the mortise in the body.

I don't have any bits long enough to get to the bottom of the tenon, so I'll be doing that part by hand too. Running out of daylight now, though, so I guess that's it for this weekend. I'm looking at gluing the headstock face on, but I don't think I'll mess with it until I get the neck shape cut, so as to avoid work-damaging that part any sooner than necessary. :rolleyes: I'll do it before gluing the FB on, though.

darkforce and BluesBlooded like this.

10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    But it’s only a little bit of snow - - -:)

Seriously, this is getting real, now.

11. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    It has been a pretty boring stretch for the last, I dunno, year or so. :oops: There were plenty of chills thrills and spills when I was putting the body together, but most of what I've been doing since the Fall would fit in one reasonable post...

But now that I've started moving again, I'm trying to keep the momentum going! :) Routing the mortise is gonna take some jigging to get the angle right, and that means a lot of time setting up outside, so it might not happen until March (I'm on vacation for two weeks then), but that oughta be kinda interesting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.