Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    My wife and I were running a few weeks ago, and toward the end of the run I thought I may have hit a runner's high because my legs felt a lot lighter, and I had this weird feeling. Turns out it was just REALLY low blood sugar :lol:.

I've been type 1 diabetic since I was 7, and when we got back to our car, I checked my blood sugar. It's supposed to be 80-120. Mine was 45 :eek:.

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Is this the new secret weapon Rog?

RogerC likes this.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    ALL RIGHT, THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I've been messing with this thing for almost two years. 2018 is the year it's getting finished. So there's my long-term goal: totally finished in 2018.

Short-term goal: FB decisively located and frets installed before New Years.

Mid-term goal: neck mounted and shaped by March 17 (2-year anniversary of this thread).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Now there's some real encouragement!

I will ignore precedent and human nature, and inertia, and say, I got faith in you, Jupe, there's nothing you can't do if you set your mind to it. The unveiling in all her pink glory will be a moment of triumph not to be forgotten. Now getcherassta work.:lol::lol:

RogerC likes this.

6. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Keep at it, Jupe! That there 'life' thing gets in the way from time to time, doesn't it, what with intercontinental excursions, half-marathons, typhoons, school trips... you just need the odd earthquake or plague of locusts to collect the set. Actually, being in Japan the earthquake is a given, so stock up on Raid next time you go to the shop.

And just dashing off the occasional ES-335 can't be nearly as much entertainment as spending three months working out how to do that little bit of binding there without needing to trim that just yet, 'cos I want to rig this thing with one of those.........

RogerC likes this.

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    'Kay, that's done:
    IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3504.JPG

I got some little brads that I'll sink into the neck and snip off so they just barely protrude into that little bit of FB under the fret tangs. Or maybe I'll make teeny dowels out of some toothpicks. Anyways, now I can install the frets into this board.

8. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I went with maple. Cut a little stick from an offcut, chucked it up in my hand drill and used sandpaper and files to make it littler, snipped off a bit, and glued it into the holes. Trimmed it short, and maybe it'll work. ;-)
    IMG_3509.JPG

Just waiting for the glue to dry now...

9. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Attaboy! Looking good.

10. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Thanks! As it turns out, there wasn't enough glue, I guess, cuz when I test-fit it, the pegs stuck into the FB and pulled out of the neck. :rolleyes: I kinda crushed one when I tried to pull it back out, so I guess they are staying with the FB thru the fretting process... I'll just drill some relief holes in the backing board I use for pressing the frets in.

Barncaster likes this.

11. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    You can't snatch'em out with some needle-nose pliers?.

EDIT:
    Ahh, just reread your post, looks like you did try the needle nose or other grab technique, and ruined a mini-dowel.

Carry on. Good progress.

12. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yep, I hadda re-do one. I suppose I could poke em back out from the other side, but it just seems better at this point to quit fussing with em. It won't significantly complicate fretting, and they're time-consuming to fashion.

13. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    So....what was it you were building again?

titan uranus, El Famoso and Zepfan like this.

14. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Glad you have set yourself a goal, maybe seeing your progress will give me the proper kick in the rear end to restart mine... but I doubt it.

Good work!

15. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I think it was a garage. Oh, no, wait, that was me, but I had to have it deleted.

16. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    And I was halfway through replying when it went pop. The general gist was agreeing with everyone else.

And on the garage front, if you've got the slab and a chop saw, get a bunch of framing 4x2 delivered and you're halfway there. Get the family around, get the barbie going, and co-opt the able-bodied into some manual labour. Job done. :)

17. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Without derailing Jupe's thread any further, into forbidden territory--yes, I have walked, and yes, that's most likely what will happen out back. :cool:

fenderchamp likes this.

18. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I fergit exactly, but anyway it needs a fretboard.

AAT65 likes this.

19. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    And a lovely one it is!

20. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    so FAR...

I'm pretty worried about messing up my binding when I press the frets in...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.