Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Well doneJupiter, ol' bean. I went back to post #1 of this epic tale, where you modestly stated, in all caps, "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING !"
    Well, here we are some 16 months later, and you have obviously come a long way. Anyone who uses "goo" and "splooge" in a single post is clearly in command of their craft. Can't wait to see whats next. Watchin closely.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    submarineforest likes this.

2. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Nice! This bound fretboard thing worketh upon me most strangely. :)

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    And the rest of us are eagerly awaiting the finish stages. DPP has reach mythical status here, and the fact that we might actually see it on a guitar somewhat soon is rather exhilarating. It's kind of like the pitch drop community (see here for explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_drop_experiment)

Mbechmann and Captain Nutslot like this.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Well, yeah, I'm awaiting it too, but I hope y'all remember that I said I'm not gonna paint this myself! My plan is to prep it, prime it, mask it, and drop it off at a car customizing shop. I haven't asked 'em for a quote yet, and if it comes in over a coupla hunnerd bucks I might have to re-think it, but I DON'T wanna be wet-sanding all these contours. I'll do the neck, the headstock, etc., but don't expect the usual flaky drama this time!

5. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Heh, I STILL have no idea what I'm doing NEXT!

Barncaster and Meteorman like this.

6. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Ok. So. Here's what I did next:

Broke out the ol' radiusing jig, which I kinda thought I wouldn't have to use, on account of I had a nice pre-radiused FB, but whatever.
    IMG_1736.jpg

Double-checked the center line and found it was off by HALF A MILLIMETER! :eek:
    IMG_1737.jpg

It's a tiny amount, but come on, man, if you're gonna build guitars, you really ought to be able to hit a center line. :oops:

Then I was thinking about how to stick the FB down. Plan A: DS tape, but it's 1) SUPER STICKY and 2) not zero thickness. So I was worried about getting the FB back off the jig without it breaking at a fret slot, and also worried about getting bumps or warbles in the FB because of the tape underneath.
    IMG_1738.jpg

Genius idea (that didn't work):
    IMG_1739.jpg

Luckily I tested it with the off-cut, which twisted back off the bench much easier than I was comfortable with.
    IMG_1740.jpg

It MIGHTA worked, with the whole FB sprayed, but the last thing I wanted to risk was having the FB slopping around while I'm sanding it, so back to the tape.

TBC

Barncaster and Captain Nutslot like this.

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I figured that while the board might flex appreciably lengthwise, it's pretty stable side-to-side, so I decided on long thin strips of tape along the edges, instead of cutting a bunch of little squares of tape. I also started with masking tape on the FB, which will lift up a lot easier when I hit it with naphtha after the sanding.
    IMG_1741.jpg

Seemed to work pretty good. Definitely showed that I had taken a bit extra off the edges when I sanded last time...
    IMG_1744.jpg

Buffed up with some micromesh pads.
    IMG_1745 (1).jpg

Looks alright.
    IMG_1746 (1).jpg

Then hadda dig all that crap out of the slots with the handy-dandy S-M crap digger outer.
    IMG_1748 (1).jpg

There's a bit more cleaning up to do on the binding where I built it up with goop, and I need to clean up the joints at the dusty end of the FB, but that's about as far as I'm getting before September. At one point I thought I'd have the neck done by now; then I thought I'd at least finish the FB and headstock, but now I'm just looking to get everything buttoned up for a one-month sleep. Humidity's outrageous here in the summer, so I need to do some prep:
    [​IMG]

These dealiebobbers suck the water out of the air and turn it into a liquid that doesn't evaporate, which collects in the bottom of the plastic box. I'll be setting 15-18 of them out all around the house, but all my guitars, amps and build projects go into a walk-in closet with about three of 'em.

8. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Nice shinny ebony fretboard. Well done! Enjoy the summer break!

9. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Got my nibbler home! Now I just gotta not mess up the slot for the frets....
    IMG_3330.JPG

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

11. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Nice! Relaxing! Fattening! A little bit smoky...

Barncaster and BluesBlooded like this.

12. Barncaster

Hmm, hmm, hmm, tap, tap, tap

Captain Nutslot and CraigB like this.

13. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    MR. JUPITER. DOG PECKER PINK PLEASE :)

Zepfan likes this.

14. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Apologies, everybody. Production has stalled. I have done some work and I have some pics that I haven't uploaded yet. I'm involved in putting together a trio for a performance in November, and I've been playing more than tinkering these days (I know, it's weird). Plus I'm training for a half marathon that's the week after the performance. So building time has been limited, but I promise I'll have an update for ya soon.

ndeli55, Mbechmann and RogerC like this.

15. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Toronto
    Jup,
    First if you're training for a half marathon, and playing in a trio... 1/2 plus 1/3 so that leave you 1/8 of your time to build, if my math is right.

16. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Nice! I'm training for my first 1/2 as well. I've never run farther than 4 miles before, but I had to set a tough goal to get my butt into shape.

Mbechmann likes this.

17. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Um, I think you are forgetting Facebook...

I ran a marathon 15 years ago--about wrecked me. Hadn't run farther than 5k after that until about last June. I've been gradually building mileage since then, and today ran my longest run since the marathon: 15.34km in 1:43:57, which is about 1 min/km slower than my goal (I'm trying to finish inside of 2 hours). I'm at the point now where the first 10k is pretty easy, which is definitely progress, but it's hard to see how I'm gonna shave that much time off... I have just under 2 months to get there. I'm at least confident I can finish, but when I ran the marathon, the last half was like the Bataan Death March, and I don't want to finish that way.

I know exactly what you mean about the goal thing! I don't do regular every day healthy lifestyle stuff very well, but if I can lifehack myself some kind of goal/competition, I'm capable of sustained effort--just like I only practice guitar consistently when I set up a gig that I gotta get ready for.

RogerC likes this.

18. Barncaster

Firstly, guys, remember the two bandaids! No joke. Secondly, it's nice to read your typing Jup! A picture or two of the progress wouldn't be bad.

19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I thought about that last week! The final 4k last week was kinda ouchy...this week I wore a proper running jersey and had no problems. They might be getting calloused (heh try not to picture that).

Barncaster likes this.

20. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

Final 4K! No thanks. The first 4K would be too plenty

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.