Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jup may be in the US for his summer vacation.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Not yet, but I might as well be! Sorry gang, kinda lost the plot for a while. I've been doing a bit of work on the FB binding, and I have pics, but haven't got around to updating. On the other hand, I have lost 11 kilos!

3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Narrator: After Jupiter had his hernia removed he scrapped the crap hobby of guitar building and guitars in general. His new hobby is fitness and has been hibernating at his local gym for the past month.

Mbechmann, AAT65 and fenderchamp like this.

4. Barncaster

How did you lose 11k????? I need to do that bad.

5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Reduce the number of winds... you should know that ;-)

6. Barncaster

Wind? I am full of wind and like to reduce it. It does not help....

Mbechmann, richa and Mat UK like this.

7. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ha, very good

8. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Maybe the surgery was more extreme than first planned? :eek:

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    11 Kiilos? Why that's almost, uh, umm, well, a hell of a lot street value!

[​IMG]

Barncaster, richa and CraigB like this.

10. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I was in a Biggest Loser competition for 10 weeks. My plan was simple:

1. Eat about the same kinds of stuff at meals, but half as much;
    2. Cut out between meal snacks, and especially sugar;
    3. Exercise for 30min to an hour about 3 times a day.

#3 sounds extreme, but it was mostly very low-impact stuff: walking and easy pedaling on the exercise bike while I played Angry Birds 2. I did a bit of running, too, once my hernia scar settled down, and played basketball on Wednesday nights, but I couldn't get too strenuous because I wasn't eating much....

I only got 3rd place, because two other guys were REAL maniacs, but I dropped about 17% of my body weight, and I got my money back. :cool:

Anyway, since that ended, I've been casting around for my next goal, and I think I'm going for a sub-2-hour half marathon in November. If training goes well over the summer, I might aim for 1:30. :) I've also started lifting to get back the muscle mass I lost over the last couple years of relative inactivity.

Anyway, I've also about finished binding my fretboard, and I'm starting to wonder how I'm gonna fret it with this dang binding on, and then how I'm gonna stick it in the right place on the neck... pics tonight maybe!

11. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So here's my build-related question: is it worth the money for one of those S-M tang nippers? It's a pretty specialized tool, and I don't bind a lot of fretboards...

12. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

I just happened to find one used on flea bay that had gone up cheap, like a few minutes earlier, so I jumped on it. My plan had been (if I could not find one used) to try my Dremel with an abrasive disk, and holding the fret with something other than my fingers, see how it did. If that did the job all by itself, or got me close enough to reasonable fine fine work, that would have been a go. Having said that, the fret tang nipper is incredibly sweet. It does a perfect job. Hmm, come to think of it, watch for PM. . . . .

13. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    you can buy a cheaper version, look for nipper. I would think you could find local in Japan.

good luck,
    Jim

14. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    this has been posted somewhere here before, but this $14 tool can be easily modified to work as a fret tang nipper.

https://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Plate...e=UTF8&qid=1498913497&sr=8-2&keywords=nibbler

just dremel or file a groove in which the fret crown lies.
    locate the groove so the fret tang is nipped cleanly at its root by the plunger.
    I saw this tip on this forum, gambled the $14, and tried it,
    Is it a quality tool ? - not really -- but it nips frets tangs just fine at my level of use.

[​IMG]Untitled by , on Flickr

Mat UK likes this.

15. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Hmm...I remember this coming up, but I didn't really "get it" at the time; now it makes sense. And the price is right... Gonna pop that on my amazon wishlist.

16. Barncaster

The Marlboro Monkey. Could be a career in this if somewhat truncated.

17. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    I made one of those fret tang nippers years ago and it does work quite well. I don't know what Stew Mac is selling these days, but when I made mine it was pretty much a copy of theirs. Like Mike says a nibbler and a little quality Dremel time and you're there.
    Cheers,
    Woody

18. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    All righty then...

I haven't been totally idle here, build-wise, though "incremental" probably overstates the pace of progress...

This fretboard is something that I've done some research on, and I THOUGHT I had it worked out in my head, but it's been so long since I watched the relevant videos, that I've sort of forgotten how I was going to do it. :oops: On the other hand, I don't wanna go back and watch all 6 hours of video that I watched about it last year! :D So I'm kinda halfway remembering and halfway figgering it out as I go...

Anyway, the inlays are laid in, and I thought they looked pretty good, until I got 'em sanded flat and the white powder from sanding them got into the cracks between the MOTS and the ebony, and I realized that I should've used more epoxy goop. I'll deal with that in a moment, but the next thing was BINDING the FB.
    IMG_1664.jpg

So the puzzle was how to stick the stuff on. Acetone has worked okay for the body, and maybe I shoulda trusted it, but this ebony is really smooth, and kinda oily, and I was afraid that the stress of fretting and all that would lead to the binding lifting off somewhere along the way. I also considered epoxy, but I didn't want to be trying to dig that splooge out of the fret slots, so I settled on CA gel. But CA gel takes way too long to cure; I can't just hold it in place. Needed to rig something.

So I started digging through the boneyard/island of misfit jigs. Found some stuff I could use.
    IMG_1666.jpg

Screwed the aluminiuium down so it fit the taper of the FB.
    IMG_1667.jpg

I put some baking paper down so the FB wouldn't get glued to the jig, applied the CA to the binding, slipped it between the FB and the sides, and then tapped it from the left with a rubber mallet to wedge it into the jig. Couple clamps to compensate for any flex in the alum.
    IMG_1668.jpg

It worked quite well, except for one thing that I actually thought about in advance but then forgot to prevent:
    IMG_1671.jpg

Dangit: needed to tap the binding down to make sure it was flush with the bottom of the FB.

I fix it in the next post.

Captain Nutslot likes this.

19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Made goo:
    IMG_1673.jpg

Binding shavings melted in acetone. Works pretty good, though there is sometimes the issue of bubbles. Nothing a few re-applications can't fix. It's also less of an issue if you let the goo thicken a bit before applying, which it will naturally do while you are messing around with the lid off.

It REALLY shrinks, which is another reason you gotta take a few passes at it. Luckily, I'd already built the form for it...
    IMG_1674.jpg

Sanded the extra splooge down using the same jig to hold everything square. Fixed a couple other little spots where the scraper slipped while I was taking off some of the excess binding height too.
    IMG_1675.jpg

The end piece was another little puzzle. Kinda proud of how I figured that out:
    IMG_1734 (1).jpg

I wedged the FB back into the jig, glued in the endpiece, then clamped a caul in place and tapped it tight with the mallet. And it worked! I made sure to get the binding flush with the bottom of the FB, too. :) You can also see that before that step I used some more epoxy to fill all the little gaps so no white powder will get in there when I do my final sanding.
    IMG_1735 (1).jpg

Speaking of final sanding, when I sanded the inlays flush, I felt like I wasn't holding the radius block exactly straight and square and flat, and I might have added a touch tighter radius to the edges of the FB than I wanted, so this time around I'm gonna break out the old radiusing jig to hold the block in proper alignment. Somehow I thought I wouldn't need that thing for this build...

20. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Deftly done, Professor!:cool:

Barncaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.