Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Couldn’t put it off any longer. I’ll tell ya right now it was fully as much hassle as I’d feared. :rolleyes:

To get the rubber tubing onto the pots, I found the easiest thing was to jam this punch in and roll the rubbber back, kinda like a condom in reverse.
    A34592EE-A98E-44AF-89CC-24FDF71D6C94.jpeg

The rubber tubing is so bulky I decided to only put it on the second set after the first two pots went in. As it was, I ended up jamming some of the pots through and popping the tubing on through the f-hole.
    7C92868F-D1BE-4B48-B548-4E7C0A97DE4A.jpeg
    D9B11C30-A089-48A3-AD82-BEF218073AAB.jpeg

Man, I worked up a sweat getting that junk in there... Then, of COURSE, on the last pot, the harness got up under the lock washer, and when I tried to pull the shaft of the pot through the hole by threading on the nut and tightening it, I cross-threaded the sumbich. :mad:

And THEN, trying to fix that, I made a big scratch in the finish with a crescent wrench. :mad::mad:
    0DF5012C-3626-40ED-A0E6-CEB6939CFFF8.jpeg

I literally ripped my shirt off. :lol: And I rapped my bench a good one with that offending wrench. :lol: Words were said, too...

Then I took a breath, and got out a diamond file and my magnifying specs, and cleaned up the threads on the shaft of the pot a bit. A little brass filing was blocking the thread, and it was easily filed off.

Popped on the knobs, and voilá!
    F6811AF9-09DD-44B0-9B76-38055CED21B4.jpeg

Still gotta screw down the PU rings, and check if I wrecked the wiring cramming it in. :rolleyes:

But it’s getting towards time to start dinner, so that’ll have to wait until tonight. Anyway, I’m exhausted now...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Jupiter

BTW, the big lesson from today is:
    Buy the hardware before you start cutting anything! I really wish I had known how honkin those long-shaft pots were when I was cutting the access hole; I woulda opened that sucker up BIG time...

Barncaster likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Almost forgot!
    7D10C288-D140-4852-9DF4-5F773082D75A.jpeg

Looks pretty classy. I’ll peel the plastic off some day.
    97EDEE73-5C09-4011-A89D-7327E9AAC59D.jpeg

That nut has to go, though... I got a bone blank here, but I reckon it can wait until the first string change.

Barncaster and BluesBlooded like this.
  4. Rock-Ola

Rock-Ola Tele-Meister

That truss rod cover is screaming for a "DPP-335" engraving.

Barncaster, AAT65 and Jupiter like this.
  5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Lovely... just lovely!

Jupiter likes this.
  6. Jupiter

Maybe next time lol

7. Jupiter

Welp, it makes noise! :)

A mere 1060 days after my first post in this thread, I plugged it into my acoustic amp and did some strumming. I guess I didn’t bust up the wiring when I installed it, cuz even through the fishman it was sweet.
    3EE53849-EDF7-4BF0-9E7F-93771226BC85.jpeg

Still needs some strap pins (and a strap!), and I need to dial in the bridge height and PU height, and of course it needs to sing through a toob amp, all of which except the strap can happen tomorrow. For now it’s almost 10pm, and it’s time to go soak in the tub...
    6981D459-2E5A-450B-999E-E3DBCA14F0C0.jpeg

Mbechmann, zippofan, Mr_Q and 17 others like this.
  8. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

BEAUTIFUL - and 1 week shy of 3 years from start. Great thread, and I can't wait to hear it sing - "You Ain't Nuthin But A Houndog".

CraigB likes this.
  9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Yeeeesssssssss!!!!!

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Jup,
    As far as pickup heights go, start the bridge pickup at about 4mm and the neck at about 8mm and twerk from there.
    Rob

CraigB and Jupiter like this.
  11. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Not sure why you would want to soak it in the tub, but it's yours so go ahead and do what you will.

12. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

Wow. She’s a thing of beauty Jup. Such a thoroughly dedicated effort all round.

Jupiter likes this.
  13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Good show, old boy! I once removed the electronics from my old Gretsch, mainly to shoot Deoxit into the pots and check the values on the tone pots. Painted f- holes so everything had to go back through the bridge pickup hole. Is truly an humbling experience! With a lot of despair thrown in for laughs.

Barncaster likes this.
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've had dreams of being at work before, you have something on your mind and you'll end up dreaming about it sometimes.
    I'm on the ending recovery of the Flu and had one of those high fever dreams of being held prisoner in Kattegat by King Ivar. I had been watching the Vikings on TV earlier.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

It’s alive! Congrats, getting that wiring in and working is a major milestone. It looks great.

Jupiter and crazydave911 like this.
  16. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Looking good Jupiter, its ashame about the scratch will there be an attempt to fix it, i think it could give this thread another 6 months of posts.

17. Jupiter

Actually, I expect there will be an attempt to fix it. There are also a couple other scratches that were on it when it came back from the shop. The pattern of the flake is so busy that you can’t see them as surface, but there are white lines. I’m thinking about just trying to flow some water-thin CA into em; I think they’d disappear. Definitely don’t want to get stuck buffing this thing though...

I can’t imagine trying to accomplish this without having access through the f-hole. :eek: I had a wooden dowel, fingers, dental picks, rubber hose and lock washers all going through the f-hole while I was doing this—way more than I thought I would need to do. I’m sure I would have ripped it all out and started over with mini-pots and little cheapo caps and no treble bleeds...

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Superlative job!

Jupiter likes this.
  19. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

I did a crescent wrench scratch once. I didn't tear my shirt off, but I did throw the wrench across the garage and cussed a lot...made the extra effort to polish it out. Within a couple months of playing, wondered why I even bothered.

It looks spectacular, Jup! Great job. Play it...scratch it up.

Jupiter likes this.
  20. Jupiter

Anybody happen to know of anything I could just rub into those scratches to make the white disappear? I don’t need to completely fill em. Wait, there’s some automotive stuff isn’t there? I think I even used it on the car once...where’d I put that stuff?

Treadplatedual likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.