Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

[EDIT] I wrote/posted the below before reading far enough down to see that you had already figured out what I feared too. I'm still an advocate for trying to just stuff in some paper or something that will just mask from the back.

Jup, I am trying to understand the objective with masking the (non-F) holes. It seems to me you just don't want paint to get inside the cavity and show through the F-hole, and I get that. But I am fearful of those dowels. What's going to happen when you take them out? I really think there is huge potential for chipping, and the tighter they are the worse. I don't see why just getting them masked from the back and letting some flake be in the sides of the holes would be bad. That's easy to sand, ream, or scrape off down to a clean edge. But I have no idea how to pull those dowels out without maybe messing up the surrounding finish. Am I missing a key part of the plan?
    Just my two cents,
    Rex

CraigB likes this.
  2. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Ooooooh, I can't wait. Looks like soon you will have a Darn Pretty Pink (DPP) guitar.

CraigB and Jupiter like this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Well, you realized the danger all right! :)

My thinking with these plugs is that this way I don’t have to try to dig paper or whatever out through the f-holes. I could see myself jamming a wad of newspaper all the way down by the end block, or bunging up the edges of the f-hole fishing around with a coat hanger. These little sponges can get pulled out or pushed through depending on what seems best. But in any case, I’ll be having a good chat with the painters when I take it in, and I’ll go with what they recommend. Maybe they even have some slick trick for sticking tape over the hole from the inside!

CraigB likes this.
  4. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Hey Jup, how about having the washers for your pots stuck on there with a tiny bit of CA or double-stick tape and then masking the top of the washers? The tape should lift off clean and any buildup around the outer edges of the tape should be fairly easy to scrape flat. Dunno, maybe that's not something you'd want to do, but just a thought!

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

At first I liked this idea, but then I thought: What if the washer gets slightly off-center? Wouldn't it leave a little crescent shaped bare spot exposed, where the washer was, during spraying?

CraigB likes this.
  6. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Great point Bill...I was thinking the washer would just remain installed after painting, lift tape, clean up any paint buildup, shiny washer, ready to install the pots. It would have to be centered on there right to start with. I did this on one of my builds and it worked great. The only difference is mine were inset in the top, so after painting and before pulling the tape, I had to go around the perimeter with an Xacto blade.

Blue Bill likes this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

"Black Sparkle":twisted:

R. Stratenstein likes this.
  8. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Balloons. They fit through small holes. They expand to seal. Not much sticks to them.

Just a thought.

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

And a good one, too. You can use heavy duty ones, or even non lubricated condoms, inflated, and not only mask the holes, but also provide great amusement for the boys down at the paint shop. Pop them when done, and they should be east to fish out with long hemostats or needle nose pliers.

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Brilliant!!
    Stick them in through the f-hole. Inflate to cover the pot/jack holes. Then slide your existing f-hole makers back into position.

Nosmo - that's a great idea.

Now everyone can follow up with their condom jokes...

Barncaster and Zepfan like this.
  11. Jupiter

Been there done that for my Build Challenge git.

12. Jupiter

Zounds!

13. Jupiter

I woulda totally gone with the balloons idea if I’d had some balloons and if I hadn’t already spent 40 minutes on these little sponges. Anyway we’ll see what the pros think when I take it in tomorrow.

Did the neck like that:
    0AE112A3-CD9A-43E6-839F-A7A5E25566B6.jpeg

Frog tape on the binding and FB, then blue exterior at the joints and where I expect a lot of spray, Cuz I’m confident nothing will penetrate that stuff.

Wrapped some extra newspaper around the headstock for padding. Not sure how they will want to hang it yet...
    6FFEACAA-CFFC-43BB-8846-AED04936288E.jpeg

I’m getting excited! Hope it costs less than 500 bucks with them masking the binding. I’m also thinking I’ll ask them to mask the edges of the f-holes for the flake, but peel it for the clear, like the binding.

Last thing to do tonight is to go over the binding with an alcohol-dipped cotton swab and make sure it’s clean of black residue.

14. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I think I would have just taped up the neck/headstock, no wrapping of anything, that way they could easily hang it with a cord... I don’t see where you’ve left them any secure way to attach a cord anywhere. Although I suppose they could tie a cord tightly around the neck where it meets the headstock, if they can feel around for that area. Or, you could attach a cord for them to use for hanging.

15. Jupiter

Yeah, I think they can still loop around the headstock, but maybe I’ll do it for them. I wanted to pad a bit, and also wanted to avoid so much tape residue on the FB, etc.

RLee77 likes this.
  16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yeah I agree about the tape residue, I wouldn’t want that either.
    It looks like it’s gettin’ very close to DPP time!

17. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Did I hear the word..."tomorrow?"

18. Jupiter

Well, I'm not sure they are open tomorrow or if they will be able to take it then, but I'm definitely popping it in the car and driving down there, so...

19. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Asmith, RogerC and El Famoso like this.
  20. Jupiter

Bird's away!
    signal auto.PNG

Gonna cost me about $460US (tax incl!)--which for the record you can just throw another Epi Dot 400 Pro on the pile of what I coulda bought with what I've spent on this project...I think we are at about 4 Epi Dots at this point. :lol::lol::cry::cry:

ANYWAY...

Should take less than a week. They looked askance at my stain and shellac, and I guess they are gonna spray a base/prep coat. I'm also asking them to do the masking of the binding, so I felt an extra 150 bucks was fair enough. I also dropped off the DPP and some holo that I want them to add a pinch or two of.

The kid I talked to seemed to understand very well what I wanted regarding the f-holes and stuff. They didn't say anything about the little sponge plugs, but I got a feeling they are just going to do that part whatever way they think is best, and I'm gonna let 'em! :)

It's a cool shop, BTW. They specialized in auto customization, but in the showroom there are a whole bunch of other objects that they've flaked, and they even sell paint, flakes, pinstriping tape, funky spray templates and spray rigs retail now. They didn't have DPP though, so I'm glad I brought my own.

So now we wait.

A little more. ;)

darkforce, Barncaster, Colors and 8 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.