Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Nice to have it listed out, thanks! The saddles are already slotted--though I'm wondering now if the spacing is right for the PUs...might end up replacing and re-slotting...

R. Stratenstein likes this.
  2. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    It probably shows this on your plans, but don't forget that normally a tune a matic bridge is not parallel to the tailpiece. It is generally angled toward the tailpiece on the bass side. This is fairly critical because of the limited adjustment available for setting intonation.
    Cheers,
    Woody

Wallace Snr likes this.
  3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    When I get around to building the Gibson style that I want I'm going to use this method for lining up the bridge and tailpiece. It makes sense. Look at around 6:40.

Zepfan likes this.
  4. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Neck looks amazing! Moderneguy approach is exactlly what I do to locate the bridge. I typically don't drill the bridge holes until after the finish is on. In any case you need to intonate the two e strings before deciding where to drill. Going to be great.

Jupiter likes this.
  5. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yep, my plan has it slightly canted. I was aware of it, but I've never had to DO one that way before. With the method people have mentioned here, I guess it'll be easy to find the necessary angle.

Good ol Fletch. He's got lots of good simple methods, and like you, next time I built something with a set neck, I'll be watching this series again. I'm itching to make something kinda like these too. I tell ya one thing for sure, though, the next set neck I build is gonna have a flat top and the tenon's gonna the the width of the neck!

The mere thought of drilling holes into the top of a finished guitar makes my nads suck up into my body cavity... :eek::oops:

Barncaster likes this.
  6. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    man, I miss this post for just a bit and come back to such a treat. It's looking great, Jup, even without the MOT heel cap.

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Mr. Smith, my middle school photography teacher, once wrote on my report card, "works in spurts". I've really taken that to heart over the years...

8. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Running out of things to do before gluing in the neck...

Really hard to get these tuners lined up straight! They aren’t in a straight line, and they don’t have nice straight edges like vintage klusons...
    FB2F9F33-1C7C-4932-AC3B-5C77B7205DDC.jpeg

I bought some small bean tuning knobs to switch these funky hipshot knobs out, but looking at this headstock, I kinda like these!
    7B384857-4062-448F-AA83-375C5A659E43.jpeg

Drilled the holes after testing a screw into some scrap mahogany, but I’m afraid to test fit all the tuners and potentially snap a screw off... lol
    18E0C631-B0E0-42BB-BE1D-0004B0E405C8.jpeg

A few nights of final sanding and I think there will be gluation next weekend. And then hardly any scary things after that!

Cat MacKinnon likes this.
  9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Trust your eyes friend, they don't lie

Barncaster likes this.
  10. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    maybe not but they sure change their mind...

AAT65, LeftFinger and Barncaster like this.
  11. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

That’s why I like tuners with flat sides. A straight edge makes it a no brainer. Jup, there must be a cad drawing on line that can serve as a template.

12. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    aligning those style of tuners, on that style of headstock, with that kind of hole placement is a proper faff. You seem to have done well. The best I've ever come up with is to tighten the top bolt and wiggle till it gets close. I've been making my own blueprints in inkscape, so one printed off with a simple vertical center line for each hole could do the trick, I suppose.

13. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    P.S. that volute is, dare I say, sexy. I don't know why, but volutes really get me.

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Oh Nic, the image I get after that admission is you wearing a pea green bell-bottomed polyester leisure suit and driving a 77 Chrysler Cordoba with Ricardo Montalban.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  15. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    RICH CORINTHIAN LEATHER!

Barncaster likes this.
  16. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Why are you following me?

Barncaster likes this.
  17. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Wax your tuner screws Jup, you won't break any off during test fitting with wax.

crazydave911, Barncaster and ndeli55 like this.
  18. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Welp, here goes nuthin...
    D8DCD9A1-E22B-4741-A940-EF6558BC350E.jpeg

Barncaster and RogerC like this.
  19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So there’s that:
    353A2BB0-EE31-4EF7-AD1A-AD71083D6807.jpeg

A moment of panic when I couldn’t get the neck seated after putting the glue on—it gets tacky so fast! But the first clamp squeezed it down tight. I THINK it’s in there all the way, but hard to tell with the masking tape and rubber cauls in the way. Whatever; it’s not going anywhere now...

Not a lot of progress this weekend, though that was a crucial step. Spent all Saturday building a basketball hoop for the boy... Next weekend: the bridge.

richa, Tezuka27, Barncaster and 2 others like this.
  20. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    About an hour in the clamps was as long as I could stand to wait. Peeled everything off and it looks...
    A134DDFE-435D-4A6D-A4A1-FC4BD74459EC.jpeg

Okay! It’s a hair proud of the body on this side and the back; it’ll take some careful sanding to bring that flush. It’s about twice as cumbersome to work on as before, but on the other hand, it’s definitely a guitar now! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.