Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

Jup, has mastered the bannister workbench

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    And built an anti gravity guitar?

Explains the duration of the build I guess. Just needs a flux capacitor in it now

3. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Careful what you ask for, but I don't want anymore delays.

4. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    [​IMG]

Good Lord Jup that gives me the heebie jeebies.
    If I tried that and I would almost certainly manage to nudge the whole thing off the rail and down the stairwell.
    This is no time to tempt Murphy....

Zepfan likes this.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Bravo, Jupe ! I tap the dust off my files and rasps all the time. I wonder, along with Rich, if yours might have been over-tempered and embrittled?

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

One step nearer dear DPP to thee....

kdmerchant and RogerC like this.

7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    downloadfile.jpg

2blue2, Barncaster, AAT65 and 2 others like this.

8. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    How's about overdrives? :lol:

ndeli55 likes this.

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

10. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I had the same thought, except it would have been my cat, seeing something new and jumping up to investigate.

11. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    This is looking so damn good I've resolved to no longer tease about the build time. Your own little Sistine Chapel, whatever it takes.

ndeli55 and Jupiter like this.

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Everybody chill; I got this.
    high up.gif

If I don't finish it in 2018 it's goin in the woodstove!

13. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    We're here for support. NOOOOO wood stove please. It's looking on point

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Are you sure this job's in competent hands? Soiently, We're all incompetent! Nuk Nuk Nuk

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Doing a great job Jupiter. I'm sure that this will turn out to be an awesome guitar when it's finished. Sometime in the future.:D

16. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So I've got the neck carve about 98% done, but it seems to be like the jumping frog thing: every day I spend on it advances it half the distance to finished... The last little bit is taking forever, and one little careless nick means another 30 minutes to fix it and blend the adjustment in. :rolleyes: But we're about at the point where I might as well glue it in; I'll prolly have to fix a bunch of work damage after that point anyway, so there's no point in fussing every little detail yet. :p

Roughed out (roughed in?) a temporary nut from a piece of Corian (TM). Used the nut slot spacing pdf that's floating around out on the web. I might regret that later, since if I spend a lot of work on this, and it works out, I might not ever get around to making the bone nut. :lol: Corian's really easy to work and it doesn't stink as much as bone...
    IMG_2276.jpg

Taped a coupla washers together to approximate the thickness of the bridge adjustment wheel and the flange on the bushing and yeah, looks like it'll only be a couple turns of the adjustment wheels to get the string height right. So i'm not planning to fuss with the tenon thickness any more.

I have the Dot plans that tell me where to locate the bridge, but who knows how and where I've deviated from the plans. I've given myself a cushion here and there, and then lost track of where they were, so I dunno if the bridge still belongs where the drawing has it.
    IMG_2277.jpg

So I used Dan Erlewine's method of measuring from the nut to the 12th fret, then adding 9/64" to that, marking it on the straight edge, and then putting that mark at the middle of the saddle adjustment space.
    IMG_2278.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think the bridge is ending up a couple mms farther down the body than the plans called for.

With the bridge located on the center line, the strings are evenly spaced relative to the edges of the FB, which means, I guess, that the neck tenon and mortise are straight and in the right place--or at least my errors have cancelled out. :)
    IMG_2280.jpg

Everything looks copacetic! Kind of a lot of space between the strings and the edges of the FB, but they are parallel, and the string spacing is about where I like it on my other guitars. It's good to have that cushion, I guess, because I can roll the FB a bit more.
    IMG_2279.jpg

A bit of work on the fret ends and I'll be ready to glue! I won't drill the actual bridge/stoptail holes until after that.

Time to start hunting down a shop to spray this baby.

17. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks great Jup - really clean. Just remember (and you probably know this) that the bridge is the last thing you need drill for. Once you've glued the neck and aligned the tailpiece in place string up the guitar with the two E strings (and something to give you some height under the bridge) and be happy with the intonation on those two strings (everything else will fall inbetween) - and mark off your bridge placement.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    crazydave911 and Barncaster like this.

18. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Whoa...it never occurred to me to do the tailpiece first! Isn't that weird? I was just thinking from the nut to the body, and the first thing you hit is the bridge...

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    ModerneGuy and crazydave911 like this.

19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Decided to cut the heel flush, figuring if I screw it up, I can add a MOTS heel cap.

Pencilled a line where the body met the heel, and made a little fence from a maple scrap. Then I tucked a strip of mdf under it until it was at a 4º angle to the bottom of the tenon (which is parallel to the FB).
    IMG_2284.jpg

Then I used my fret slot saw, cuz it's nice and rigid. It didn't cut easily, but it cut pretty straight.
    IMG_2285.jpg

And that came out better than I'd hoped!
    IMG_2287.jpg

Only down side is that it pretty much eliminates the MOTS heel cap...

BluesBlooded, Colors and ModerneGuy like this.

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Definitely what MG said.
    1. Glue the neck in
    2. Slide in your temp nut with correct spacing and string slot depths.
    3. Use high and low E strings to correctly align tailpiece and drill/ install.
    4. Set bridge saddles to roughly standard stagger and slip bridge under strings and use shims to get it to correct height. (Protect guitar surface with wood first shim)
    5. Install all other strings. I say use all strings as I have a factory SG where one of the middle 4 saddles for some reason needs more than standard adjustment travel for proper intonation. Now is the time to know if weirdness exists in your guitar.
    6. Slither bridge around till strings are aligned. Mark string positions on saddles
    7. File in saddle slots and dress
    8. Re-shim bridge height to compensate for bridge saddle slotting
    9. Set neck relief
    10. Intonate all strings till ears and equipment are happy.
    11. Time to mark and drill for bridge ferrules!
    Rob

ndeli55 and ModerneGuy like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.