Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of making wood chips.

It's the time of year when we usually have a build challenge. It's a good time for me, because I have the second half of March off from work every year. I have the stock and parts and some templates for a lap steel project, and was thinking I'd start cutting wood this week.

Then, quite by chance, I found these at a website that I've used in the past for neck blanks, fretboards, etc.:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The prices were shocking: top, back sides and neck, all for about $100US.

I posted in another thread about this stuff, just to sort of brag about having such a cool resource in Japan. I shoulda known what the reaction would be. ;)

Thing is, I have never seriously considered building a hollow body. There's no way I could ever produce the plates, and just couldn't imagine trying to bend those sides. Yikes.

But here it is, practically all the hard work already done, right? Right??

And then I got dared, and double dog dared, and I started thinking...

I have a Gibby-scale, already-slotted fretboard blank. I have a bone nut blank. I've got some funky mahogany lying around that could be the center block and the kerfing. I have the fretwire...

And I have this:
    [​IMG]
    It's been sitting around my house for about 2 years, just waiting for a project epic enough to deserve it.

This project would certainly be epic enough. :cool:

And so, we are at the beginning of an epic journey. Guaranteed to be epic, not only because it's gonna be a frickin' DPP ES-335, but because there is so much STUFF that has to be done--tools to buy, jigs to build, parts to source, whole new skill sets to acquire, stupid questions to ask--that by the time it's done, you're gonna feel like you've trudged past the gates of Mordor to Mount Doom with the One Ring around your neck. :D

But first, a disclaimer: this thread is for entertainment purposes only. Management bears no responsibility for damage, injury or other mayhem which might result from following this thread, or from attempting any of the procedures depicted herein. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING.

Anyway, the plates, sides and neck blank are ordered; standing by for a shipping notice. Could be a week or two, which is fine, because I gotta a ton of work to do before I need to touch that stuff.

1. Buy band saw.
    2. Find place to put band saw.
    3. Paste together the plans that I've printed out on multiple sheets of A3
    4. Make templates for top and back.
    5. Build outer form.
    6. Rebuild my router sled.

Heck, if I get that much done before the stuff gets here, it'll be a miracle...

I also have a ton of studying to do. I've been googling websites, poring over pdfs, and I'm hip deep in this video series that Cat hipped me to:

I'm binge-watching it while I ride my stationary bike, and I've just gotten to the point where he gets the box closed up. It was like 8 episodes before he even got up to what I'll have when my delivery arrives :D, but his experiments and skillz are interesting to watch.

Turns out there's a fair bit more to it than just gluing the top and back and sides together... :confused:

Stay Tuned!

2. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    I'll be watching closely!!

nick0 likes this.

3. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks Jupiterballs!

Finally, an infamous DPP build awakens with a vengeance

kissTheApex likes this.

4. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2012
    Vancouver
    I couldn't figure out what DPP meant. I even went to the site. LOL!

5. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    cant wait to see this progress.

6. erix

erix TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

May 12, 2014
    Richland, MI
    Thank you for doing this! I need a mood-lightener build.

7. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

This build is Mr. Yeknom approved.
    [​IMG]
    Rob

jpbturbo likes this.

8. ajr969

ajr969 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2011
    NW Georgia
    Yes! The DPP guitar is finally on track to becoming a reality :)

crazydave911 and songtalk like this.

9. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    I can't wait! This will definitely be an epic thread!
    Cheers,
    Woody

songtalk likes this.

10. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Much rejoicing!!!!

11. Coolhand23

Coolhand23 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Midwest
    I have watched (most of) Jason Beam's epic ES-335 build series also. He impresses me with the way he thinks things through, adjusts as necessary, experimenting along the way. Good luck with the build.

12. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Was wondering what the monkeys would think of DPP and I see Rob already has that covered :D
    Will be watching this Jupe , looks like its gonna be fun . I watched all those videos a while ago , interesting indeed .

13. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Vengeance is mine!
    I have to admit, the name was a big part of its appeal...
    Guaranteed to be an emotional roller coaster...
    Noice!
    Yes, after two years of jokes, we will finally get--prolly another two years of jokes.
    Yes, but he still misses things now and then. It's fun to try to catch the mistakes before he does.

kissTheApex likes this.

14. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Good lord! I'm so anticipating this build I believe I'm seeing pink monkeys!

Come to think of it is there a MPP glitta?

15. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Apr 26, 2009
    Toronto
    In for the ride Jupiter...

16. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    I think that's MPB or is that just their Butts Maybe it's MBB

17. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Oct 2, 2013
    Reno
    Okay Jupe...I'll be following this one. The concept looks like it should be in one of those 'gentleman' shows in Vegas but I like the idea. I mean...Pink is so manly...

18. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Ya gotta be secure in yer manhood to rock the pink stripper dust, that's a fact. :cool:

24 track likes this.

19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So welcome, everybody!

I spent my first actual money on this project today! Ordered my Big Ten Inch bandsaw and a 6mm 6T blade. So that was like 400 bucks.

Also bought a MIJ flexible pull-saw: about 15 bucks
    A 1/4 sheet of luan ply and another of mdf: 7-8 bucks each

Add to that the 100-sumthin bucks for the wood, and I've already spent more than it would cost for a new Epi Dot with upgrades. o_O

As Capt Nutslot would say, "Love hurts!" :D

lbridenstine likes this.

20. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Is Li'l Daddy Roth related to the late, great Ed "Big Daddy" Roth?

24 track likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.