Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

thumb pick

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by valleyartsman, Nov 9, 2005.

1. jdfoosh357

jdfoosh357 Tele-Holic

Oct 7, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    for strickly rhythm........i wouldn't use a thumbpick.

2. tcouch

tcouch Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2004
    kentucky
    Put me in on the Thumb Pick, i have been playing the Thumb Pick and 2 Fingers Style for 20 years, i guess its what you start out with but its like starting over when i try a Flat pick.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

3. RHytonen

RHytonen TDPRI Member

Since I started on steel string acoustic (Folkie/ragtime/dreadnought-D18) in the early 60's, I've been using a thumb and fingerpicks. Right in the beginning I decided, intuitively, I wanted the fingerpicks bent minutely "hooked" at the very tips. It has served me well to this day, for chicken/popping etc., even with the Tele (my first elecric, at 73!) At this age I found, with my RH CTS, I also need to "leash" the fingerpicks with rubberbands, and I can "brush"-strum (as fast as I like, Carter "church-lick" style,) because the "hooks" also keep them from hanging up on the backhand stroke. And I never lose a pick in the 'box'...or across the room.... IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1534.JPG

1955 and JustABluesGuy like this.

4. Dadzmad

Dadzmad TDPRI Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Wisconsin USA
    Yes I use a thumb pick even on a tele. I favor the Golden Gate yellow striped picks.

5. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    That's how I learned to play. I have a hard time with a flat pick.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I use a thumb pick or no pick.

7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I've tried to use a thumb pick, but just haven't been able to keep it from rolling around on my thumb.

I also find it very difficult to do alternate picking with a thumb pick. My cousin is a very good thumb pick picker, but has as much trouble using a flatpick as I do with a thumb pick.

I use my thumb and fingers, or pick and finders, or just pick. Thumbpicks and slide have so far eluded me for the most part. I guess I need to do some intensive wood shedding...

8. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    My cousin is great with a thumb pick. I wish I could use one as well.

9. murdude

murdude TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    Thumb picking really does open up a different world and I love it. I have been using them for about six months and have pretty much adapted to playing most music that I do. I had trouble using them with a Tele' at first because I would pick too deeply and hit the guitars body. But, thanks to Fred Kelly Slick Picks, I can manage pretty well now. Playing shuffle and Rockabilly type rhythms, is a challenge that I haven't totally figured out yet and find easier with a flat pick. But, I'm sure I will work it out with practice.

10. DugT

DugT TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    Do you really pick with your little finger?

11. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

12. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    I used to use Fred Kelly bumble bee picks. Pricey jazz picks with a loop. These days, I'll use any kind and adjust my technique.

I mostly hybrid pick Danny Gatton style but use a thumb pick on banjo exclusively.

Crobbins likes this.

13. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Just grow your thumbnail, no?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.