Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Three way toggle switch wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GigsbyBoyUK, Sep 18, 2017.

1. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    I may be getting easily confused in my old age but...

I just wired a Les Paul from scratch and I think I've seen wiring diagrams show two different ways of wiring the three-way toggle switch.

Some show this:
    Ground tab = between the two tabs that go to the neck and bridge volume pots.
    Output (to jack socket) tab = the tab on its own on the other side of the switch.

And some seem to show it the other way round.

Please, someone, put me straight! Which way is right?

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Would you please post pics or drawings of the switch in question for dummies like me? I'm trying to learn, and I'd like to follow this post. Perhaps you can refer to these images I've posted below so I can follow? I'm going to change the switch in my Epiphone Les Paul soon to a Switchcraft type.

For example:

Here is an Epiphone overseas Les Paul switch
    epiphone overseas les_paul_switch.png

And here is a Switchcraft toggle, which has the ground and the "out" opposite the overseas diagram above:
    SwitchcraftToggle.jpg

Here is a bottom view of the same Switchcraft-type switch (the straight switch):
    1240_allswitches.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

3. GigsbyBoyUK

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Mine is the stock Epi switch.

4. GigsbyBoyUK

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.