Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Three-way mini switch

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by fordguy_85, Sep 23, 2017.

1. fordguy_85

fordguy_85 TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Narrows, VA
    Hey guys, I acquired the MIJ Tele the other day, and it has a 3-way mini toggle switch on the control plate that is not wired to anything. I think that it was possibly added to coil split a bridge humbucker that has since been exchanged for one without splitting ability.

My question is, what else can I use the switch for? I'm guessing a series/parallel setup, but what other options are there? I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer.

IMG_0837.JPG

2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    Is the switch on/on/on or on/off/on ? I presume there are 6 lugs on the bottom? You would need to replace it with a two way on/on switch if you wanted to do the series/parallel option.

fordguy_85 likes this.

3. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use mine to split the bridge coils.. it gives me more options on the middle pos....

on/on/on... front/back/full ...

Cream Tele pu and switch.jpg

fordguy_85 likes this.

4. fordguy_85

fordguy_85 TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Narrows, VA
    It's an on/on/on switch...

5. ScottJPatrick

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    Taken from an old thread on TDPRI....but these are for a humbucker with 4 wires, if your current humbucker doesn't have them I'm not sure what use a 3 way on/on/on switch would be, deaf eddie would be the guy to ask.

311209-b662276fb03a81ee8a0aa9635d4555e9.gif

moosie and fordguy_85 like this.

6. fordguy_85

fordguy_85 TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Narrows, VA
    Thanks Scott. The current 'bucker only has two wires, so idk what good it could do me...

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You could also do a Varitone switch setup like the Esquire's had. One position for bright volume only, put the current tone cap on another position and a different value cap on the other position.

fordguy_85 likes this.

8. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    Varitones used an inductor along with capacitors to alter the sound, which works differently than just using capacitors the way the Esquire circuit did.

You could use it as a series/parallel switch for the neck pickup, use it for different tone caps, add/remove treble bypass on the volume knob... The fact that it's 3 positions instead of 2 wouldn't stop you from doing these things, but I'd probably replace it with an on/on switch instead.

fordguy_85 likes this.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You don't have to have an inductor. As long as the switch "Varies" the tone choice it can be a "Varitone Switch" basically.

fordguy_85 likes this.

10. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    You can't wipe your nose on your sleeve and call it a kleenex. ;-)

moosie and fordguy_85 like this.

11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Can I hate you guys, I'm not even sure I have a use for an old school varitone with the inductor but now that it's been brought up I've come up with an idea and now have a compulsion to make that idea happen...

(I'm sure it's not you guys really and I just have some form of OCD o_O)

fordguy_85 likes this.

12. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    :cry:

So all tone controls shall now be called varitones!

fordguy_85 likes this.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You better find out all the details, parts and values of parts so everybody will be able to call it a "Varitone Switch". We wouldn't want any fakes would we?

fordguy_85 likes this.

14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Leave it unwired, and have it as a 'Mojo' control.

...or, more sensibly, coil split, tone cap variations - or my favourite - a switch to bypass the tone control altogether - for esquire-style crispness.

fordguy_85 likes this.

15. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Well that variable Cap idea I came up with could be used with a 100k resistor and a 1.5H inductor to form a varitone circuit, I'm probably going to put that in the squier, I can get a suitable inductor on ebay for £5 in the form of a small audio transformer and I have some 100k resistors about as well so it wouldn't be much and I've just bought a pup for the middle position so I may as well put that in there while I'm at it.

Back to the OP's question, I would consider the following, a blower switch (bypasses controls), fixed bass cut and a phase switch. You can only use 2 obviously as one position is needed as a standard mode.

Zepfan and fordguy_85 like this.

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Maybe the OP should just completely remove that switch because Real Tele's don't have that. You also have the wrong pickup in the bridge, you'll have to fix that too.;)

All kidding aside, you got lots of choices to choose from and let us know if you need any wiring help.(traditional or non-traditional):twisted::lol:

fordguy_85 likes this.

17. ScottJPatrick

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    Depends how much you like the current humbucker, if you're not thrilled about it there are lots of good options out there, then utilise the three way switch any way you like.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    fordguy_85 likes this.

18. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Varicoil split is a good option for some pickups. The varibypass can be a bit too subtle for some tone controls.

The varibass cut and variphase switches are good ideas. The variblower switch won't work for people that like to use their varivolume knobs.

fordguy_85 and Asmith like this.

19. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    yes but a variblower is good for jumping from a preset varivolume when using a tube amp set at a varigain point that's just past break up point so you can jump from variclean to varidistorion at the flick of a variswitch although I understand that some people are happy riding the varivolume for this effect instead. But it's also good for jumping from a varitone setting for a dark tone to a bright clear tone at the flick of a variswitch like going from the neck variposition with the varitone rolled off to the bridge variposition with no varitone on a strat. Or you can do the LP varistutter trick by setting the varivolume to zero and flicking the variswitch backwards and forwards rapidly.

fordguy_85 likes this.

20. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Could just trade it for a VariStrat.

Asmith likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.