Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Threaded neck inserts

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GuitarJonz, Oct 10, 2018.

1. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    So, I have a used Warmoth strat neck, which came with threaded neck inserts and the associated bolts. However, they don't line up with the holes in my guitar body. I can fill those easily enough, if needed, but what's the best way to line up & drill the new holes in the body, so the bolts will accurately go through and fit into the threaded inserts correctly?

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Spread a thin layer of playdough on the neck pocket and put the neck against it.
    That's all I've got...
    Actually...you should probably use a piece of paper or thin cardboard to make a template.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Boiled_Strings likes this.
  3. joealso

joealso Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    once you make your template , with card board or what ever you use to mark the new screw holes and use a very small drill bit to place pilot holes with a drill press , fill the first original holes with dowels and finish flush , then re-bore the new holes and re-use the neck plate from your guitar you got the neck from

5. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Look at your neck plate. Does it line up with the holes on the neck? If so, you can measure for the correct location and use the neck plate as a template. It is pretty easy to use a scratch awl or nail to mark the center of the holes using the neck plate as a template. If the holes don't line up then you will have issues just attaching the neck plate. Also, note that the holes in the body should be oversized so that you can adjust the neck side-to-side once you fit the neck to the body. A drill press would be nice, but it isn't essential. Especially when you consider that the holes need to oversized slightly.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Another reason why I have no love for this machine insert in the heels of guitar necks.

You may have to fill the existing holes in the body, then do a template.

lammie200 and 24 track like this.
  7. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Drill press all the way, that's how the pro luthiers do it. I wouldn't even attempt it any other way. I researched threaded neck inserts quite a bit for my next project because I travel by air a lot and want to be able to have a guitar where I can unscrew the neck repeatedly without losing any neck heel wood (haven't taken the plunge yet), so I just checked my bookmarked links for this subject and here's what I recommend to read—especially the first link:

http://www.philtone.com/inserts.html

https://www.deemic.com/threaded-neck-inserts.html

8. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    1. Get a couple of short machine screws with the same thread pattern as the inserts.
    2. Cut off the heads.
    3. Put them in the chuck of your drill press, and use a metal file to grind the tips to a point.
    4. Using pliers, insert the pointed screws into the neck, flat end first, leaving the points exposed, with just enough screw shaft that you can get them back out with pliers.
    5. Align the neck in the pocket.
    6. Use a clamp to gently and evenly squeeze the neck into the pocket, leaving four impressions perfectly centred under the threaded inserts.
    7. Use your drill press and brad-point bits to drill the holes from the pocket side, at the marked centres. Go slowly. As soon as the tip of the brad point starts to penetrate the finish of the first one, stop, and set your depth stop.
    8. After drilling all four, flip the body over and finish 5he holes from the back of the body. Brad-point bits done this way will help minimize chipping the finish.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Thanks for the ideas, I'll try some of these.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.