Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

THR10 and Knobs

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Warren01, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Warren01

Warren01 TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Castlegar BC
    Curious about how the knobs work in conjunction with presets and/or computer interface. Suppose I dial in the Gain and Master knobs to full on and save this as my preset. Later on I adjust these same knobs to the 12 o'clock position and leave them there. Moments later I load my preset (with the gain & master full on). The knobs don't magically start turning to match these settings. Consequently, once I touch the gain knob, does it reset itself to the position on the knob dial, or from the preset position. And if it does reset itself to what the knob is indicating, how could one tweak the preset unless they set up the dials to exactly what they were saved as? If they don't reset, can you theoretically push a setting past the range of the dial? As you can tell, newbie with the amp.

2. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I was waiting to see if someone knowledgable would respond to your post, but I guess I'll have to do...

I believe that when you touch a knob you leave the preset. It's no surprise you don't see knobs move when you select a prior preset, that would require servo motors on the knobs and be a little ridiculous.

I doubt seriously if the amp would allow you to "push" extra gain or other effect or volume by adding on through mods to existing preset.

That said, I have no idea what I'm talking about and haven't tried it on my THR.

3. Marcus M B

Marcus M B TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    London, England
    This is an interesting question and I wish I knew the answer. I barely know what most of the knobs do even without presets or computer interface. I think it would be really cool to have presets work so that the knobs turned by themselves. That would give it a really futuristic air. Here's hoping someone knowledgeable turns up...

4. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I don't have a THR but I do have a DigiStomp.
    Some of the original dig amplifiers from Yamaha, DID have motorized knobs.
    [​IMG]

In general, according to my memory, when you load a preset and all the values change, each knob has it;s own memory, and moving the knob ( might have to go over or under the preset value) will change just that parameter. The others remain at the preset value loaded from memory.

5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    When you touch the knob you lose the preset for that knob.

jimash likes this.

6. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I'm fairly certain that what @dkmw is correct, and it's one of (several) design choices that have frustrated me about the THR10. This becomes an issue for level control. I have a preset for what is sort of a hack-ish dotted-8th Vox delay. If I hit the preset button and find it too loud, I can roll back the "guitar" device volume (the one labeled output, see highlighted knob below).
    [​IMG]

BUT, I'm pretty sure if you touch any of the other knobs pertaining to anything else, it kicks you out of the preset, and then you are basically in what would be called "Panel" mode on a BOSS Katana. I haven't used the THR10 as much lately, so I could be wrong, but this was a major annoyance to me. In other modeling amps (like the Fender Mustang), you could just tweak a single parameter and then the SAVE button would light up. You could edit individual parameters like "BASS" or "GAIN" on the device without hooking up to a PC, and all the non-edited parameters remain "as is".

I think Yamaha's idea was that they didn't want confusion where the knobs were set to things other than what they physically displayed. But they created a much more annoying issue in the process (IMO). I just got a Katana 100, and I'm very thankful they did not go with this approach. One of the things you can do on that amp is load in additional hidden amp models using the software. But they require a bunch of EQ tweaking and other optimization - so it's appreciated that I can do that on the amp (and re-save), as opposed to having to carry my 32lb amp up two flights of stairs to plug into a PC every time.

The THR10 is obviously much more portable, but I don't like the editing software and still don't want to have to plug it into a PC unless I really have to. I'll say it for 300th time, also, it would have been nice if it was class-compliant USB, so they could have just made a proper iOS editor and given us the option to fix it that way.

7. Warren01

Warren01 TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Castlegar BC
    Makes sense that as soon as you touch one of the controls, it reverts back to the knob setting. Guess one could check by loading a pre-set on the computer and seeing what happens on there. As far as presets on the device itself, you probably can't tweak it unless you remember how the knobs were set originally. Like many things, idea looks good on the drawing board, but in practise . . .

8. metastable

metastable TDPRI Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Peavey gets around it by having lights on the dial that are independent of where the knob turns to, so they can set the value to where the actual value is for the preset https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/658/118347 No need for motors.

I just had a play with my THR10. I opened the app to and setup one of my presets, I set the app gain to 10 and then the physical knob to 1. I then pressed the preset and all the knob graphics in the app changed to the preset values i.e. 10 for gain, and so did the sound. When I touched the physical gain knob slightly (so the amp knew I was changing it), the gain knob graphic in the app jumped down to match the physical value (1). For all the other knob graphics they stayed at the values of the preset, even though the physical knob values were widely different. They only changed to the physical knob values when I touched each of them individually. So it would seem that only the knob you touch then resets to whatever the value of the knob is. If you don't touch the dial, it will stay at the preset level.

9. ahmetomer

ahmetomer TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2017
    tr
    It is possible in thr10 app. I use it for low volume tones that i need to increase volume with out altering master and gain. Compressor RACK output

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.