Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

THR10 - aftermarket power supply?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Treeface, May 9, 2017.

1. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    In the swamp. . .

2. metastable

metastable TDPRI Member

Jul 17, 2012
    As long as the voltage is the same as well as the polarity of the plug, it should be ok. The adaptor can have more Amps that the THR10 needs, but that won't be detrimental, it will pull as many as it needs.

If you exceed the rated voltage or get the polarity wrong, then you will have issues.

Whether it will be "noisy" I don't think you can tell until you get it. From memory, any switched adaptors are pretty noisy when it comes to audio equipment. Cant' tell if that one is switched or not.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    There is one sold on fleaBay specifically for the THR10 for $35/free shipping. The specs don't tell you what I would want to know, but you could ask for the output voltage and amps and check to see if it matches the owner's' manual which I easily found online. "New", 10 available, 99.3% rating. See "AC DC power adapter for Yamaha THR10 ..."

4. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2003
    Markdale, Ontario
    I have used several different aftermarket laptop power supplies with 100% satisfaction and they usually cost about $10...selectable voltage and usually twice the current of the stock psu. Most of these units come with a set of adapter ends to fit various computers and should include one that fits the THR. I even have a 12v adapter cable that works flawlessly in an automotive setting. I have yet to hear noise from any of these solutions powering my THR10C.

No need to spend big bucks on the bay!

Darkness likes this.

5. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    In the swamp. . .
    The aftermarket adaptor's tip, irritatingly, does not fir the THR10. I wonder if Yamaha has a proprietary connector in an attempt to force you to use their adaptor. Back to the drawing board.

6. Berek Halfhand

Berek Halfhand Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Yes I bought a 15v Toshiba laptop adapter for $8 knowing the tip would not fit. I had an old tip from something close around the house so I spliced it on. Would not quite fit. Tried to dig away at some plastic in the bogus tip to make it fit and broke it completely.

I have been unable to find a electric parts supply house that has the Yamaha tip. Lots of places sell the board-side part of the connector, but the tip is a mystery. I am sure they did this on purpose.

There must be one somewhere???

7. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    I'm confused. One post said aftermarket supplies work fine and another says the Yamaha tip is hard or impossible to find. Which is it?

LPBlue likes this.

8. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2003
    Markdale, Ontario
    Old post, I know... The plug used on the THR seems to be an older hd design and I have several plugs from sets supplied with the aftermarket stuff. My first good OE hit was the psu from an old (but still functional and stored) Samsung flat screen monitor dating back to 03. As I stated previously, I found a lot of suitable, inexpensive alternatives to "bowing to the distributor and his sub contractor to The Rising Sun":twisted:

Jimclarke100 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.