Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

THR 10 or Amplifi 30?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Fenderflame, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Anyone here have both. On paper the Line6 looks to do much more but I know there's a lot of love for the Yamaha.

Actually, whichever I go for from these two my money goes to Mr Yamaha anyway doesn't it?

Just want a little FRFR media speaker with a guitar amp built in for my office. Mustang, Katana and Code are too big.

2. heminator

heminator NEW MEMBER!

Jan 9, 2016
    Virginia
    I own a THR-10c and I've played an Amplifi. I think this is one of those situations where there's no right answer, it's just what works best for you. I know the THR-10c well obviously, and with a touch of on board reverb it sounds just great for practicing. The Amplifi also sounds good, and plenty good enough as a practice amp. I didn't like the sound quite as much as the THR, but on the other hand I haven't spent enough time with the Amplifi and you can do a lot of tweaking with the thing, so I'm not a reliable judge.

Basically, you should ask what you need it for? The THR is 10 watts, I think? Plenty loud enough for practicing and enough to fill a room, but the Amplifi 30 watt has to be louder obviously (I didn't crank it when I played it). There are also fair bit more tones and tweaking available on the Amplifi than the THR (though you can plug it in to your computer and there are lots of extra tweaks that can be done with the THR -- just not as extensive). Both work great to run backing tracks/play music when you're not using them -- though the Amplifi probably has the edge here because it's louder and has a bigger speaker array. I think the aesthetics of the THR are much better, for what that's worth.

The THR amp sim is also kind of unique, such that IIRC they modeled the amp circuitry and not the end sound. What that means is the knobs/controls are interactive and it feels and responds like real amp in way that's cool and unique. I usually just plug into the DR, Matchless, or JTM45 setting and go on my THR-10c -- so if you're not going to be doing much tweaking and you just want something you can plug into quickly, tweak a few knobs, I'd say get the THR. If you want a really wide range of tones, would use it as a loud portable speaker a lot, and and don't mind messing with the phone app, go with the Amplifi.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

3. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Hmmm. Tried them both today and the THR sounded like a guitar amp. The Amplifi (tried a 70 and a 150 - no 30 in stock) just didn't sound good enough. Weird as a play a JTV59 through a POD 500HDX so I know how good Line6 stuff can be. Decision made...

4. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I think mine is the THR10x. I don't have the other amp. I will say, like most of these amps not all the settings are that great. However, the couple settings I like, when I add a touch of reverb and the built in slap back type delay, I'm very pleased with those sounds with my tele for practicing

5. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    The THR really does sound like a guitar amp. I have the original and the high gain thr10x. I love them both so much I bought the 100 watt dual head. It too sounds great but I wish it had presets and ALL the voices of all 3 of the little ones. I think I'd have my final amp if they offered that.

6. kyljoy

kyljoy TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2017
    US
    I've got a Amplifi 30 for sale if you're interested. Of course, that should tell you something.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.