Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on Triple Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Txncharley, Sep 29, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Welcome back. ;)
    Nashville Tele fine place to re-start IMO for blues, classic rock, everything except shred and modern heavy metal.

Pat most attention to the neck/frets for compatibility [with your hands/druthers]. Nashvilles generally have less vintage handling. More modern neck/frets output, and nut width generally.

As said, swapping pickups/switching to suite your playing style once getting a neck and overall weight Tele if that is a factor considerations probably.

Have an amp, of is that next?

2. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm a purist. Use a tele the classic way it was meant. Want three single-coils? Get a strat. Want two humbuckers? Get an LP.
    But I don't begrudge others who enjoy and use "hybrids", that's just me.

3. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2013
    minneapolis

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    a little too much information there. ;)

paparoof likes this.

5. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

That’s a great instrument. Also I’d look also at a 60s or 50s classic player Baja.

6. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    IF one is GOOD and two are BETTER, then three are certainly BESTEST ! ! !

7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    It was this maths that made me try one. ... and I put it back on the shelf

8. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Sorta like the space women in the rebooted SCI-FI movie TOTAL RECALL ? ? ? :rolleyes:

re: three is b(r)estest.

9. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Triple Tele was short lived here and flipped. Frets less friendly to my amateur hands, and found the 3x cfg superfluous in use. But the 7.4 lb TT was too nice for parting... Although if bigger frets than may have happened.

I'd add i have several Nasville setup Teles including one with EMGs, middle PU ceramic Strat EMG.

I tend to grab a two pickup tele mostly to reflect same sentiment in the thread already. But you will have more than one sooner than you may think most likely. So if the first one is a Nash no biggie...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

10. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I will disagree, learn what works for you. The getting is the only way you are going to determine that probably.

Nothing personal Rich, but can we really count out all the Alberts, Becks, Keefs etc etc with non standard Teles solidly etched into recorded and live rock/blues musical history. FOr ourselves perhaps, but I submit not blanketly for others.

11. rich815

Sure. That's why I said above "I'm a purist" and "That's just me."

12. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Ahh..., but how to ascertain ahead of time the player getting his first will be or not? ;) Or eventually will become for that matter.

I also mentioned my leaning that way as well. But over the year helping folks with either new PUs, routing in a third, or plain building a piney for a latent Tele player [see how I did that?] I have come to a point not interjecting what folks need cause you or I have it yada yada.

But it is good the OP sees this point/counter point as well perhaps.

I was going to start my 1st reply to you "not picking on you" but decided I would pick on you...:D

13. rich815

:mad::p:D Lol. It's all good. :)

14. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    You'll need to check with Rick Nielsen about a 3-neck Tele.

15. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I love the necks on the Triple Teles. The design is essentially a Baja Tele with smaller fret wire and the different electronics. Any color you like, so long as it's black! ;)

I used to prefer larger fretwire, but the Triple Tele convinced me otherwise.

The Nashville Teles are great too. That model was recently updated with noiseless pickups and different wood options, but the older ones are wonderful guitars as well, so maybe you can luck into a good deal on an older one.

The earlier Nashvilles came with Texas Specials, which sound very nice to me, but they aren't as universally liked as the Nocaster pickups found in the Triple Tele.

Let us know what you end up with!

16. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    I have and absolutely love my Nashville but I'd love a triple too!

JayFreddy likes this.

17. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Specials or Tex Mex?

18. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    You know, I'm not sure... LOL

Now that you mention it, I think my older one (2005) came with the Texas Specials, but the newer one (2014) has the Tex Mex... Maybe they're both Tex Mex... I dunno, I like 'em just fine.

Did the OP ever check back in here or did we dun' run 'em oft? ;)

19. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Squier%20Vintage%20Modified%20Tele®%20SSH%20Olympic%20White%20Maple.png I like my three pick-up Tele. Mini - humbucker is awesome. It's only a Squier, though.(Still a sweet axe) I want to add a Nashville in Candy Apple Red to my collection, but for now this little lady has to do.

teletimetx likes this.

20. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    There is always:

CAR.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.