Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on Triple Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Txncharley, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Txncharley

Txncharley NEW MEMBER!

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Howdy, I am about to buy my first telecaster, and I found this nice black Tele with 3 single coil pickups. Kind of unusual I thought, but she felt good in my hands!
    I recently started playing again after a long hiatus, and play blues, classic rock type music, and I like a guitar that does everything except shred and modern heavy metal. (I am 55 yrs old) Like that punchy, overdriven sound of Kieth Richards.
    I was able to plug it in and quietly play it for a few minutes, and it sounds good from what I can tell. Before I go back and completely fall in love, I like to know the group's thoughts on Triple Teles, or whatever they are called. Help?

Tim S likes this.

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Well - there is an official "Triple Tele" that has three pickups, all at a slant.

There is also the "Nashville Telecaster" that has three pickups, but only the bridge one is slanted.

Lots of people like the Nashville - it's a decent choice with a few "extra options" above a "regular" Telecaster.

You may want to check out a regular, two pickup Tele?

The Triple Tele was a custom one-off, limited run.

Triple Tele:
    [​IMG]

Nashville Telecaster:

[​IMG]

teletimetx and shupe13 like this.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Oh! And welcome to the site!

4. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    TheBadHombre and Minimalist518 like this.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    On my avatar pic.....I have a three p/up Tele.....RARELY use middle P/up, but it's there for the occasional "out of phase Strat" sound when I want it.

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Not something I'd chase down, but not something I'd turn down either.
    My favorite strat tones we're the in between ones. Sold all my strats though so...must not have been that into it.
    Fwiw I have 4-way switches in both my teles.

7. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    If it feels good in your hands and you like the sound of it, buy it. If you decide you don't like the extra pickup later, take it out and put in a 3 (or 4) way switch and a standard pickguard will cover it.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

TT is a nice guitar. It can cover Strat needs, or with a push/pull tone pot for series you can cover Les Paul desires.

ShadowChancer likes this.

9. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    A standard pickguard will only work if you want to Esquire it. Otherwise you'll need a custom one to deal with the slanted neck pickup.

10. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I wouldn't say the third pup is going to give you anything "more" necessarily. A standard two, depending on the pups and how you wire, can be just as or more versatile.

So don't fall into any "more is better" mentality re 3 pups versus two.

And you're gonna have a lot more purchase ptions looking at twos, i.e. colors, pups, neck radius, bridges.

Piggy Stu likes this.

11. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I can deal with the Nashville tele, but that triple thing.. I'm gonna be bangin my pick against the bottom of that middle pickup all night long and I imagine I'd be irritated in about 30 seconds

and over it in 5 minutes.

with the Nashville and a strat, I can find space between bridge and middle to pick.

But I disagree about two verses three pickups. That strat bridge+middle out of phase thing is golden.

Cant get that with traditional Tele wiring etc.

12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    I'd say try a 2-PU with traditional bridge before you buy. And if you're after versatility, try a Baja (50s or 60s depending on how you like the neck and fretboard). Just my .02$

Piggy Stu likes this.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, Charley!

If you found a nice MIM Tele in black with the 3 bridge pickups in it, at a fair price, I'd say go for it.

You can always change out or yank out those pickups you find to be excess and those specific pickups are worth decent money.

A great Tele starting place, I think.

milocj and ShadowChancer like this.

14. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    OP: Get whatever rings your chimes.

If you're looking for Triple Tele owners to say it's a decent guitar and that you're not delusional, I'll say "I believe that's all true. "

Piggy Stu likes this.

15. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY

16. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I tried a triple tele en route to my baja. Continued on to the 60s baja which suited me better

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    i was hoping we were talkin a 3 neck tele, here

nojazzhere, Crawldaddy and AAT65 like this.

18. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    That we’ve got to see! Surely somebody here has built one...

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

shupe13 and AlbertaGriff like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.