Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on this concept design?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John Backlund, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Hobs

Hobs TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I really like the turquoise variant of the first set. I think it would look even better if there was a change in body and headstock thickness of maybe 1/8" where the line between turquoise and white is, rather than just a masked paint line. Probably easier to mask that way, too.

2. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    On my monitor, the un-enlarged pictures pick up a moiré pattern in the solid color areas which makes them look somewhat like a carbon fiber weave. I kind of like it.

3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    I like all your designs John. Hope more of them get into production.

Cheers,
    Geoff

4. Archey

Archey TDPRI Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Indiana
    I dig everything about it except for the headstock shape. In my opinion they would look better with something sleek and streamlined to match the feel of the body. Perhaps even a three on a side slotted headstock could look pretty nice on them.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    DSCF3845.JPG Maybe something similar to a Ric style headstock. Or maybe something like I did on my CBG like this:

6. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    hey John ! i like your designs very much :) i'll throw it out there.

- i'd extend the upper part of the pick guard almost to the end of the body following the paint line
    - id change the fret markers with a shape that's identical to pick guard ( see the white thingie under the neck )
    - i'd add a second line of the same color

i don't have photoshop ( i suck at that stuff so don't laugh too much ;) ) i however made this just to get you the idea about what i mean :) hope you like it ;)

Yeah and maybe i'll add a "number" i don't know why .. eleven comes to me .. ( yeah maybe not this font something more resembling the " general lee font ")

version-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    John Backlund likes this.

7. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Here's the revised model 1200 with the new headstock. I wanted it to remain a six-in-a-row style but avoid any direct Fender comparisons.

The bevel cut on the rear body cutout is gone, but may be retained on a final version if it is ever produced.

This one has block fretboard inlays rather than the elliptical ones on the first version.

The bridge is also repositioned, and the pickguard plate reshaped and enlarged slightly to accommodate it.
    FB_IMG_1515101867594.jpg

FB_IMG_1515101877444.jpg

Archey and brogh like this.

8. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    I like the red and white, with the new headstock design, and a big 5 behind the bridge. Yup. Speed Racer!

brogh likes this.

9. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    I like it, especially the read one, but would make the headstock slimmer. What about using the (by scaling) the same volute of the bottom part of the body?

Archey likes this.

10. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    btw.. reverse headstock would allow to have a "fin"... like in '60s cars

brogh and John Backlund like this.

11. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    They've been having problems from the prospective manufacturer concerning painted parallel color stripes similar to what is on your 1200 post. My archtop 'Rockerbox' design had striping but the company that was to build them didn't want to paint them that way, and it kind of screws up the design to omit them. I don't understand what the problem is, I would be fine with clearcoat-sealed matching pin-stripe tape if it would be easier.

Not sure about the numbers on this one, but will probably use them this way on a future design at some point.

brogh likes this.

12. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I might see how that would look

13. dablues

dablues Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2007
    Oregon, USA
    I’m floored by these designs, because they are unique and clearly present your personality, I think. I really don’t care so much about ergonomics as long as the guitar has a personality, and these have it in spades! Well done.

John Backlund likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.