Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on this concept design?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John Backlund, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I have always liked your designs John. This one has your stamp of design and shows growth of your design prowess. I think this concept is fabulous in every way. My one tiny concern is the selector switch. Even though I like it aesthetically, I'm thinking that every LP player is going to want that switch action 90 degrees rotated just from habit. Anyway, I think you hit it out of the ballpark with this one. Good luck with development.

Signed,
    Retired Product Design Engineer

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Very modern quasi-italian Jetson like.
    I like it..might make headstock more like body
    curve...in lieu of fendery..but..maybe...imho
    ps..did not know you were the famous Eastwood dude.
    keep on keep it on.

3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    Were you the dude who designed the retro futuristic guitars and started a kickstarter campaign at some point ? They look awesome.

Boomhauer and John Backlund like this.

4. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2011
    Somerset UK
    I love the body shape and think it's spot on in red. It puts me in mind of 1950's sci-fi images. I do think however that the headstock shape is wrong. I don't know what is right but possibly something akin to a Firebird.

John Backlund likes this.

5. dogwatermike

dogwatermike Tele-Meister

May 10, 2014
    albuquerque
    I absolutely love your designs John!

John Backlund likes this.

6. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I need to avoid any obvious or direct commercial associations with my posts here, so all I will say is that the "famous" part of your comment is perhaps a well-intended exaggeration of the reality, but thank you anyway.

uriah1 likes this.

7. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Yes, on the first question, though I'm far from the first to do so.

I never personally started a Kickstarter project, though I was about to attempt one when another party intervened and things went in a different direction, all for the good I might add.

At a previous point, yet another party started three different Kickstarter projects. I believe one was successful while the other two were not.

Had I personally initiated a Kickstarter project on my own, it would have almost certainly failed.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017

8. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I hope to soon upgrade my TDPRI member status here as a 'Vendor', then I will be able to speak more freely of my projects and commercial associations. It's way more than high time I did this, I've been a 'free' member here since, I think, 2003, when I bought my first, and only, Telecaster, and have benefitted greatly from that 'free' membership on several levels. I'm embarrassingly late in doing so, but as they say, better late than never. Hopefully, I can then open up a lot more about my guitar-related projects around the first of the year.

9. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Okay, I hurried this along, and am now a TDPRI Vendor member, so as soon as my upgrade payment goes through, I will be able to openly discuss and promote my guitars in much more detail in the Vendor's forum than I could in the past. This is all a good thing, and will be a lot more informative for those interested in such things. As soon as I'm able to, I will post images of these guitar designs, as well as future ideas in the Vendor forum for discussion and feedback.

LowThudd likes this.

10. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

I've always liked your designs John and it seems you still have the "skills".. I think your talents should be seen as equal to any of the classic guitar shape designers and of course you can't help but take something from all of them ...keep up the great work and one of these days someone is going to take one of your designs and hit a homer ...

the 400 is awesome brought to life..

158996_eMFvYfWuXAnqitFy1INjbBwad.img_assist_custom.jpg

I'd rock this baby ...reminds me of a
    Buick Roadmaster

158996_O5EXxgqlTpUnemTeyNGc0ikzx.img_assist_custom.jpg

11. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2017
    I was going to say that it reminds me of a Backlund...then I paid closer attention. :eek:

12. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    These are stunning designs - perhaps not the most conventionally ergonomic, but that matters not a jot.

I see the sweeping lines of the bodies, and the 50's styling, and am sold.

They really are something to behold.

13. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    ...CLASSIC is right! Damm ! That looks like an early 50s before double headlights

14. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    The 2nd 'pointy' body design is somewhat like a 'Phantom' from early VOX back in the 60s. I favor 2 volume and 1 tone knob to blend the volume of the 2 pickups when in middle position.

15. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    I like the original set you posted, definitely carries on the Backlund vibe; only change I'd make is different inlays on the board, maybe something slanty to go with the body contours--That make any sense??

16. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Before there's any commitment to produce this guitar, I will submit another version with traditional block fretboard inlays.

17. smokehousewilly

smokehousewilly Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2009
    the big apple
    Bright pink, pls. With a fat, classical style neck.

18. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Nylon strings?

19. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Bend, OR
    They look great, I like them. Reminds me of something from fallout which is good. I think the pickup selector switch would get in the way though and I think it would be good to try and get the pickups spaced out a little more, they look pretty close together.

20. smokehousewilly

smokehousewilly Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2009
    the big apple
    NO!

Would look good headless, too, but that's just me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.