Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on this concept design?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John Backlund, Dec 19, 2017.

1. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    John will you be coming back to Tennessee ?

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I prefer this look to the original Teardrop.

3. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    No, unless just to visit. I have no business connections to the state anymore.

I wouldn't rule out attending the winter NAMM show sometime in the future, but just as a visitor, not a vendor.

tery likes this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    I really like the bottom half, the rear cut, and the pick guard. The arm rest and top bout needs some work, similar radii as the bottom. The headstock needs to repeat some of the body design elements. Red and white is the best.

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I like them but I'd put a JM vibrato on there

6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Very cool, I like it a lot! I get the forward motion from that shape. I'm undecided about the fret markers but they are different!

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Two things. To me the upper half is fighting with the bottom half instead of complementing it. The other thing (and I say this with a genuine love for your other earlier designs) is that that bite out of the back and the section above it reminds me of the Corvus I owned, only upside down.

Now I couldn't design an original electric guitar if my life depended on it, so take these 2 cents of opinions with a grain of salt.

John Backlund likes this.

8. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I like the design but might tilt the selector switch a bit so it slants slightly up toward the neck side. Beautiful lines, though. And I prefer the blue.

Zepfan and John Backlund like this.

9. Muff

Muff TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2017
    R Can Saw
    If I had a real chance in changing your thought pattern with the guitars it would be ergonomics.
    Then again,,, you have done an OUTSTANDING job of presenting your minds eye ....
    for that I think your top shelf~

10. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I love salt.

11. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    you have a great eye, John, I like these a lot

can't decide whether it's Cadillac Chic or a Sharknado episode of The Jetsons

whatever it is, it's retro-cool

12. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota

In my body shapes and control component positioning, I often compromise some elements of more ideal ergonomics, but some of that is just the price of designing 'out of the box,' and sometimes does require some adaptation and perhaps a bit of inconvenience to the player, which is totally unacceptable to some, and understanding so. Others will forgive some of the awkwardness and accommodate it, considering it a small price to pay for having a crazy-ass guitar like some of these things are.

13. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I'm not all that enthusiatic about the headstock either. To me, in my eyes, it has too much 'Fender' in it, and as a general rule, I try to stay well away from other people's stuff as much as I can....other than that 'George Jetson' vibe I always seem to get tangled up in, but that's ok.

14. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I think this is more than true, the guitar in my signature is my design and there isn't a great deal that is out of the box in terms of its shape although it is ergonomic. The only thing interesting going on is on the pickguard but slide switches and rocker switches are not very user friendly compared to a well placed toggle or lever switch. The current switch layout is more focused on the aesthetics rather than ergonomics.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    The red and blue ones would match the style of my Heil "Fin" mictrophones.

fin.jpg

fin-red.jpg

rburd2 and John Backlund like this.

16. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Thank you, but not likely. My guitars sell by the handful at best, not by truckloads. They are not worth 'serious' production, and are best at being digital concepts to look at, not play.

17. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    That one rules :cool:

18. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I really like the design, a LOT man. Really post modern retro.

Two things.

For the headstock, maybe a shape that compliments the upper bout in the 'fast-forward' way. Kind of to continue the "forward Look" as Mopar called their designs of the late fifties. Maybe angle the top edge of the headstok, with the trailng down edge similar to the bottom of the upper bout.

I worry that the lower bout might make it uncomfortable to play with the guitar resting on the thigh. I guess it could be played with the cutout on the thigh, like I have done leaning on a couch with an offset Vee. lol

I like the switch position personally. But perhaps at a complimentary Forward angle?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I like both designs, and the color schemes too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.