Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on this concept design?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John Backlund, Dec 19, 2017.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    This only exists as my illustration, and is not being built, and is not for sale, but I invite some opinions on it, positive or negative. It's a bit of a different 'direction' for me, although I still tend towards retro-gaudiness. I figure the only thing left off of this thing is a trem, which it would easily accommodate.

Ok, I'm behind the couch, let 'er rip, boys! Sic 'em!!!!
    IMG_20171217_003945.jpg IMG_20171217_005446.jpg
    IMG_20171217_012301.jpg

2. Muff

Muff TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2017
    R Can Saw
    I believe they would sell "MY Friend"
    I mean yeah,, where would one put the strap,,, then again thats not a problem just LOOKin

3. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Older cheap-style trem would be nice on that (not Fender offset, nor strat-style, and a Bigsby type would take up space).

Like one of these:
    [​IMG]

The exact placement of that hook on the lower bout might need adjusting in order to accommodate seated playing without it digging into the leg.

4. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ
    Looks neck heavy.
    But, who cares?:)

BTW: How did you do those illustrations? They are really cool.

5. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Those look fantastic John.

6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I want a Red one :)

7. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'

Oh yeah! DO EEEET!

Edit:

Move the pickup selector switch. I foresee someone picking or strumming near the neck and bumping up against the switch.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017

8. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Green one works for me. Red and Blue despite being the same shape look somehow different.

9. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I love that first guitar. Has a classic '50's look.

[​IMG]

10. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I'm (still) using the same antique, completely obsolete, Corel Paint Shop Pro X graphics program I've been designing on for the past decade. I can only manage to create flat-on, top views of the guitars with it, but that's been enough to get the idea across.

Nickadermis likes this.

11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Look coolly retro. I'd put a whammy on there for good measure.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The colors are good and I like the design for the most part. A tremolo option would be good. The old Teisco style or a better Jag or Mustang style would be nice.

The only negative fro me is the cutout on the rear. It just doesn't go with that shape to me. Something that more resembles the front I think would look better. So no cutaway at the rear for my opinion.

13. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I made four color variations (push-button computer tweaking of the original red version) here's the green one...
    IMG_20171217_010147.jpg

14. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    The headstock is quite 'Fenderesque', being an inline style with a round nose, but varies away in the lower lines.

15. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    I was thinking "odd wangbar" too.
    Something like an Eko or Wandre?
    Keep going John!

Nickadermis and John Backlund like this.

16. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    The rear cutout is bound to be a somewhat controversial design 'feature', but, it helps to de-conventionalize the guitar body from being 'just another offset' in basic profile. I made that mistake years ago with my model 800, and ended up with the most forgettable design I ever came up with.

This guitar has what I call a 'fast-forward' look, the entire guitar body is visually thrusting to the right as viewed from the front. The rear cutout reinforces that visual motion with a 'push'.

17. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Here's another concept from the other end of the stylistic scale. I've always liked 'teardrop' guitars, and every now and then take a shot at a variation of the theme.

These designs illustrate the 'swept back' rather than a 'fast-forward' design approach to 'fast-looking' guitar shapes.
    IMG_20171216_183121.jpg
    IMG_20171216_181822.jpg

Too much artsy-fartsy, design-ey, gobbledee-goop talk here. My head is starting to hurt. I have no idea what I'm talking about, but if it looks good, it is good. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

18. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Huge thumbs-up from me.

19. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2017
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nice looking, a reverse Firebird body style... on original concept guitar post

Two names ideas come to mind, The Bellaire Custom, or the George Jetson Special

20. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I forgot to place the strap buttons on the art, as well as the cable input Jack.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.