Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on this bad-boy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hendrixlvr, Oct 4, 2017.

1. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    But it has mojo! ;)

Obsessed likes this.

2. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

3. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Holic

Aug 21, 2004
    San Diego
    El Pass-O...

Hendrixlvr likes this.

4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    With all due respect, I'd pass on that one.
    That poor guitar, whatever it really is, has had a rough life.
    I openly wonder if it has it's original Serial Numbers on it.

nojazzhere likes this.

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    "Players Guitar" = Mods made with NO consideration to re-sale Value.

6. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Yea. I've already messaged him that I passed on it

7. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Too many questionable things

8. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    good move, certainly not an SG Jnr whatever it is, possibly a modified version of 'the sg'

9. jimmytheshoe

jimmytheshoe TDPRI Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Chicago

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I have been a sucker for curiosity, and this one is odd.
    Could be a SG with a cover over the neck pup rout, but the controls are wrong.
    Even the cheap "The SG" had front rout guard mounted controls.
    Could be a Jr but it would have been a lot of work to change the stud mount under the TOM to a TOM mount and add a tailpiece stud mount, plus other oddities like the headstock.
    Looks nice though!
    What the hell is it?
    How much money is the guy valuing it at?

I have replaced wood in vintage guitars so it looked like it was never routed, and swapped parts so it looked right at a glance.

Unless it's a recent Chinese relic job, it could be a nice guitar for the right price.
    It's just a very odd guitar to build as a fake.

I have an '80s Explorer with a filled Kahler rout and TOM.

11. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Telemnemonics made think again: Yes, the cutaways are shaped like some 1970's SG, given this and the control layout and the clear headstock (not black) it could be an SG-100 (probably the cheapest model then).

Someone could have put a veneer cap to hide the control rout, and other screw holes, installed a new bridge and pickguard, rout for the humbucker, and gold finish and side jack... That's a lot of work...

People were not as proficient with routers as today so he could have done the easiest thing and open the back of the control cavity, hence conserving the control layout from the SG-100... It didn't matter since it was not intended as a fake but only to look like the nicer guitar.

So if not a japanes fake, it could be the cheapest vintage Gibson from a moderately desirable period, and heavily modified. It' hard to put a price on that (as on mojo). ;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Hendrixlvr likes this.

12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I can't look past someone saying it is the best pickup they ever heard

Would you be selling the best guitar you ever heard, cheap? Who is the person who gave it to him in a trade who didn't know a Gibson had value?

All the different weirdy things more expert people mentioned on here would make me keep browsing elsewhere. Someone advertised a remarkably cheap Gibson near to my office, and I told them I could pop across to them at lunch because I only work at XYZ corp... investigating fraud

Guitar immediately deleted and never got reply

Similar guitar advertised nearby so went to see it using a different number to contact: worst fake I ever saw and the guy admitted it

This may be some genuine guy selling a rare prototype worth millions. If it was next door I would go see it, but I wouldn't put much effort in

13. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    Much looks wrong to me. The closer SG I can find is the SG-X... but, although the control layout is closer than the one of the other SGs, it is different. The most strange things, to me, are: the shape and position of the back routing, the jack position (btw would be interesting to see how is mounted) and the colour of the headstock.

14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Not for nothing, but we had a *ahem* "luthier" around here back in the 70s and 80s named Tom Barth, who would regularly take perfectly fine guitars (mostly Gibsons) and turn them into monstrosities like that.

He was the father of the "Barth Vader," a solidbody guitar with an MXR five-band EQ built into it. Unplayable, but hey! at least it sounded bad!

Hendrixlvr and Piggy Stu like this.

15. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

So I'm thinking this poor guy is on the up and up. He's changed the ad a little to reflect a few of the things I told him about from my own research. This one is sure a puzzler though....I wonder if he'd let me pull the pickguard to see what's happening under it lol. It's definitely and old guitar as it looks like the lacquer is 'checked'....of course it could be just a relic job as stated earlier....hmmmm

16. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Oh! And I just noticed the input jack is on the edge like a tele, not on the top like an SG....curiouser and curiouser

17. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Found this on reverb...it's expired but it does show the same characteristics as the 'gold one' on kijiji. IMG_9154.PNG

18. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Funny thing is I reread the ad and thought it had changed - spooky

People have the morality they can afford. If I was starving to death I would steal a loaf of bread if there was no alternative

I would love to really look at that guitar. I suspect it never saw a Gibson factory. The sad thing to me is that I am pretty sure this seller is aware of the truth

19. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    You missread my last post. I didn't say it is a highly valuable guitar, I said it might be a heavily modified cheap Gibson, no real value remaining. Other posters are thinking this kind of mods are possible.

My point was only to investigate and speculate for fun.

I agree that I wouldn't trust this seller even if he was selling an apparently perfectly legit Gibson, I'd fear it would be fake, or real but stolen, broken...

Now the picture found by the OP on Reverb is funny because it is showing the same guitar model, but it is still not a SG known to me and this picture is not related to a real sale, no information here, except that there are two of it now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.