Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on this bad-boy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hendrixlvr, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

1970's Gibson SG Jr *Swap/Trade* on Kijiji https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/guel...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Just messaged him to see what he'd take for cash....I think I may be able to remove the gold paint. I follow a guy on YouTube who removed paint from a '63 Strat and didn't disturb the original finish and it turned out really good.

Only way to tell if it's an original pickup would be to pull it out and look at the back I guess....

BadMojo likes this.

2. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Oh wait a min....it has a humbucker....jr's came with p-90's....

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I'd be willing to pay (or swap) for maybe half of what it would cost for one in decent shape. I've got an '83 that I've done a lot of crap to over the years, and that's how I'd value it if I went to sell it.

4. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Ok. Dude says he can't take less than $1200 Canadian. So that would be about $960 USD. Would be a total shot in the dark as who knows what's under that paint. I could spend that money and get a total dud, or I could spend it and get something really cool that I'm not expecting....hmmmm

5. Dismalhead

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I just scanned EBay for them and you can probably get one in good shape for just a bit more than that. If it were me, I'd pass.

Steve Holt likes this.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks like walnut colour where the forearm rubbed off the gold paint, eh?

7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Entirely up to you but my spidey sense is tingling

Ad worded in such a way, like when someone knows but isn't saying

I would jog on

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Expensive problem, cheap might be worth the risk.
    No way to know what sins hide under the paint and plastic parts.

Mr Green Genes and Hendrixlvr like this.

9. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Yea. He gave me the serial number but I'm not coming up with anything.

From what I'm reading, they stopped making them in 1971, and at that point they had moved away from the dog ear'd p-90, and had started with the soap bar p-90's....hmmmm. Interesting lol. It looks like it's got the volute that the 70's Gibson had....

Dismalhead likes this.

10. Dismalhead

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana

12. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Yea. Something looks a little off with the headstock logo too. I agree.... I think imma walk away from this one....fack. So many of these things I've walked away from through the years. I just found and played a 65 sg jr in the local store...broken headstock repair, new tuners....they want $3000....almost pulled the trigger but damn that's a lot of money...I wish Gibson would reissue one of these things

Dismalhead and Obsessed like this.

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Ten out of ten to the owner on his descriptive writing, but it just sounds too much like people who try to pass off partscasters as some original they discovered on top of granpa's wardrobe... they don't know for sure how long it was there but it sounds amazing on a dark windy night as a wolf howled on a lonely mountain

All it is missing for me is 'I don't know much about guitars and am selling this for my husband, whose name escapes me at this moment in time'

14. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

:lol::lol::lol:

15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    The most profitable decisions I ever made in life was saying no when my gut told me to

Maybe this is all genuine: all I can say is my nose tickles

Obsessed and Hendrixlvr like this.

16. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

This is why I love these forums. So many good knowledgable people have helped me out over the years and saved me ALOT of money haha

Obsessed likes this.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Nothing more difficult to do is passing on a guitar that you really like, but ... (fill in the blank), makes you hesitate.

18. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I forget when I realised my subconscious knows about 10 times more than I do but I try to always follow it when I can hear it, like if I were a child with a parent who tells me when it is safe to cross

19. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    The control layout doesn't look like any SG I know of, SG-100 The SG or Firebrand come to mind (natural headstock) but they look different. Look at the control rout at the back it is very unique. If there is only one Gibson like this someone will point it out. But without any hint...

Hendrixlvr likes this.

20. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

Oh yea you're right! I never even noticed that. Can't blame the seller on this one though. It was just one guitar that was thrown in with a bunch of other stuff for a trade. I'm sure he's just going by what he's been told

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.