Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on the Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by SonicDiveBomb, Aug 21, 2017.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Just picked this guy up. I found one for a cheap price that's literally untouched! It's a USA one from the 90's. Had to replace the reverb tank, but that's it. Everything was immaculate. The seller told me it was never even turned on, as they've never even owned a guitar (fancy that huh?)

What do you guys think about the cleans? A true fender tube amp at heart? Is there any major differences between the USA made one and the new Mexican ones?

t guitar floyd and Dismalhead like this.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    IMO they don't have the classic Fender tone, but it's still a good amp. It makes a great pedal platform too.

SonicDiveBomb likes this.

3. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    Why would you have to replace the reverb tank if it was never turned on?

I have a Blues Deluxe which is a variation on a theme. It is an okay amp, but once I got a Tweed Bassman, it has remained in the reserve status.

The Hotrod Deville is a very popular amp and appears on stages across the world so you can certainly make great music with it. It is its own flavor of Fender and does not sound like earlier generations of Fender amps exactly.

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Don't turn up the reverb too much.

Don't chuck it around. They're a bit fragile, be careful with cords in the inputs, you don't want to pay to have them replaced.

It's worth getting it electrically checked by a tech - the big filter caps are possibly/probably gone, it's nearly twenty years old and no use is worse than a lot for them, if one fritzes it could take the power tranny.

Plus it'll almost certainly sound better rebiased. They come very cold from new which makes them sound a bit stiff and lifeless. The other thing, IMO is get them to replace the volume pot - it's linear, which means on '2' it's actually about 80% max volume. Volume pots should have a log taper, so it ramps up slowly. It's very hard to get these where you want them. 1.5 can be 'no balls' and 2.1 is 'call the cops' loud......

mnutz likes this.

5. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I've played about 250 gigs with mine in the past 2 years. Had to get it retubed last year, but when I bought it it was literally untouched. Mine is also from the late 90s or early 2000s. I was on the market for a hot rod deluxe but this popped up on CL for $300 in new condition. Now I just have back problems from carrying it around. Haha. I don't use the drive channels at all. I just dial in a good clean sound and use my pedalboard for dirt.

Dismalhead and SonicDiveBomb like this.

6. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    If you want a better control on the volume, simply replace the V1 12ax7 tube for a lower rated series tube like a 12ay7 or 12au7, especially if you play clean or want to play clean, and add pedals for effects. It will make the volume work much more smoothly without the sudden dramatic ramp up past 2. This is a lot simpler solution than replacing a pot.

t guitar floyd likes this.

7. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Yessir! Did this mod, replaced V1 with a 12au7. Very good advice for anyone else with this amp. Works wonders!

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I've been trying to convince my friend for weeks to do this.

9. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    It is an inexpensive experiment that is easy to reverse if you don't like it, but no one ever dislikes the result.

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I changed V1 in mine. I'm a big fan of the amp. Loud, clean and handles pedals very well. Best yet, for me at least - it's affordable.

The reverb stinks though.

11. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Very good question. Still scratching my head to this one. But everything was just perfect besides that. Mice maybe? Who know.

I took advantage of that situation though, by replacing it with a very competent reverb to fix the "crap reverb" many describe when owning this amp

JustABluesGuy likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.