Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on Robin Trower

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TheGoodTexan, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    I have seen RT twice: around the time of the "Salty Dog"album and later "Broken Barricades" both times he and Procol Harum were fantastic - lots of guitar. PH was and is still a fine live band. I like his solo stuff also especially his "blues" recordings. Have yet to see him live solo, but still hope to. I prefer him to Hendrix.

elihu likes this.

2. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

I saw RT in Seattle in 1977 (he was very popular in Seattle- maybe due to the Hendrix connection?)
    I, too, saw him again this past summer here in Phoenix.
    I expected a nice trip down some nostalgic lane.
    Instead I left the theater w/ RT as my new favorite guitar player, again.

At 32, and again at 72 (years of age), he was awesome.

elihu, ac15 and Xingshen71 like this.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Been a fan since his first album and still am a fan.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Like SRV, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, etc., Robin Trower's playing to my ears is more interesting than his music.

Zepfan likes this.

5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Oh, we can do wild and raucous well enough - it's just that we like to have something to contrast it against, now and again :cool:

6. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I listen to Trower’s classic mid 70s records frequently. I think that there was a definite Band of Gypsys influence. IMO, the possibility that his playing style would have developed in the way that it did independent of the Hendrix influence is very unlikely, but then “who knows.”

7. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I love Robin Trower's music. I love Jimi's music. I see them as different artists. I have particular love for Robin because "Bridge of Sighs" was big in my teens. Many of his records are great.

P.S. James Dewar was key to Robin's sound. Great bass and vocal from James Dewar, formerly of Stone the Crows.

8. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC

9. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC

A big advantage to Robin's sound is that James Dewar was not only an infinitely better vocalist than Jimi, he was one of the most soulful voices in Rock music. RT should not be dismissed.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    4pickupguy, BorderRadio and elihu like this.

10. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Funny, I always thought he sounded like molten lead...or plutonium. But yeah, smooth! And he's one of those few who you can recognize with just a couple of notes. Sure, he gets the same heavy strat neck pickup sound he always does but also his note choice is pretty unique. Cool phrases...

Zepfan and Dan R like this.

11. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas

12. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    Trower with Ferry....live "I Put a Spell On You"

13. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    When I was coming up, me and all my guitar playing friends saw everything through the lens of Jimi Hendrix: Jimi Hendrix WAS electric guitar playing. So when Robin Trower came out we liked him just fine: he was doing what we wanted to do. (And much better than we could at the time.)
    Randy Hansen? Nah. (No disrespect intended; it was just a different approach in our worldview: it was theater.))

14. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    At the end of the day, the man can play. I only wish I could play like Robin Trower.

Zepfan likes this.

15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky

I have never thought of Robin as being all that overly Hendrix-like. Robin's tone is much thicker and heavier than Jimi ever was.

it's a whole different set of thoughts i have towards Robin Trower - and before i go any farther, i need to say two things. First, i LOVE Robin Trower. he is one of the prime reasons i've been a strat guy for years. Second: i am sorry, oh suzerains of the TDPRI, but this subject can be ignored only so long. ban me if you must. i'll miss you all.

in the period that Bridge of Sighs was new, all of my pot-head friends and i LOVED that record. That big molten uni-vibe-distortion sounded exactly like the chemical filtering through our brains. it sounded like afternoons spent stoned at the mall or wherever.

in those days, the record companies discovered a market. the market was white teenagers that smoked reefer. Robin Trower was one of the biggest, most successful products of that age.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    In the spirit of that “shoegaze” thread, this could arguably be proto-gaze too, once you subtract Trower’s melodic lines. :D

elihu likes this.

17. jackleg

jackleg Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 19, 2004
    hansen is hendrix, trower is trower!!! listen to robin's 'somethings about to change' cd. microbends galore... played at the right place, at the right time..

18. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    Robin Trower is criminally underrated. I would say that he was influenced by Hendix, but he doesn't play like him. Jimi was always about the blues and R&B. These are the elements that Trower lacks. ,RT's music is gentle and beautiful, but bluesy. He uses only one of the many elements of Hendrix' music, and what RT lacks in spontaneity results in spacey well constructed solos. He is like a classical musician who writes in the style of Jimi, but he lacks the background of the American way, the racist chitlin' circuit, Jimi's dreams which inspired his music, etc. RT is from Britain. He focused on the beauty of songs like 'Gold and Rose' and '1983 ( a Merman should I turn to be)'.

He's not Jimi, but his vibrato is maybe second or third to BBKing and/or Peter Green. He should be in the R&R HOF as far as I'm concerned. We are all influenced by Jimi, but few of us could compose like RT. I think Hendrix knew of Robin's doings when he was alive as there is a quote from Jimi:

"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes"

I remember listening to the Procul Harum record A Salty Dog, back in 1971. It was my girlfriend's (at the time). There was a cut called Whisky Train and I immediately asked who is this guitarist? It was Robin and I remember trying to emulate it on my acoustic and later on my roommate's electric guitar. OK, so I'm a fan. I'd say I'm a much bigger Hendrix fanThen his solo albums soon appeared and I was hooked. This music seems to hit my mind in an ethereal place. It is like my limbic system is hostage to the music. I long for those carefree days of my youth, before I went to med school in Chicago, and nearly lost touch with all enjoyable things.

As a guitarist I freely steal and use licks like Peter Green did with BBKing, SRV to Albert King, Prince to Santana, Santana to Peter Green, Eric Clapton to anyone who plays blues. So who is to judge someone for Robin's malfeasances...? If anyone's hands are clean the go ahead and criticize. I totally enjoy what he's done and it seems he might do more even without a damn top 40 song. I envy what he's done for age discrimination, and whatever his music does to open minds and doors.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Early 70's Robin Trower, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck and Richie Blackmoore were tops with a Strat and they made me want a Strat. Then along came EVH and changed things a lot.

20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Big plus 1 here. There is not a band where Dewar's vocals wouldn't over shadow everyone else. Absolutely my favorite rock singer of all time. The most powerful voice belted out by the most soulful singer to ever grace a stage. Trowers sound complimented Dewars voice perfectly. Nobody has come remotely close to Dewar since.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.