Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on Robin Trower

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TheGoodTexan, Nov 8, 2017.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Frank Marino is my favorite Hendrix acolyte.
    He had the Hendrix-esque vibe, coupled with serious chops.
    Trower lacked/lacks firepower, IMO.

2. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    I think Trower's own words — "you couldn't not be" influenced by Hendrix — answer the question. But Trower definitely had his own unique thing going on.

I was a fan of his early on, I love his fat, juicy powertone. I think he tunes down a half-step, which adds to the juiciness.

How well I remember hearing these words back in the '70s:

"Whaddya wanna listen to—"Bridge of Sighs" or "Dark Side of the Moon?"

nojazzhere likes this.

3. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Bridge of Sighs is still super yum for me. Classic power trio rhythm guitar with huge double stop loaded solos.....

Shamelessly copied ever single bit of it, much more of an influence on my playing than Hendrix.

Seems like a great guy too!

Count me a huge fan.

4. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2014
    AZ
    Big Fan!

I feel he has his a style which stands on it own.
    Very smooth and airy.

I saw him this year. Great show!

If you haven't listened to it yet, checkout his latest album, CD, Download or however you get your music!

IMG_20170511_210525.jpg

hrstrat57 likes this.

5. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Btw, glad to see James Dewar mentioned a few times in this thread. IMO, without Dewar's vocals Robin Trower would not have found the success he did. A bit like Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott.

Praxis likes this.

6. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004

7. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I wish I could find some of The Old Grey Whistle Test performances (of quite a few bands) in higher quality DVD.

Robin Trower 'Bridge Of Sighs' on The Old Grey Whistle Test 1974

oldgofaster likes this.

8. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    I loves me some Robin.....

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Count me as a Trower fan. I don’t follow him much these days, but I did see him in 78 or so and he was one of the rock guitar gods I dug when I was starting out.

Personally, I think he has always had his own thing, and while he is very obviously influenced by Hendrix, his music simultaneously manages to be original. I think he made some great records and I do not consider him a Hendrix wannabe at all, despite the heavy influence.

I think that’s quite an accomplishment.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Jimmy Dewar was phenomenal.

That song "In This Place"

Trower's great on that as well.

I was a huge Trower fan in the late 70's and saw Dewar on his last tour w/ Trower.

Now it's strictly nostalgic , I only listen to that Robin Trower LIVE album, and I always laugh and say "It's like he based his whole career (after Procol Harum) on the Band Of Gypsys record !" :lol:

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m a fan of Dewar and Trower, because of his music first and foremost.

In City Dreams is one of my favorite albums of all time, kinda underrated.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Hard to believe this is what Trower was doing in '68.

Jim W likes this.

13. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I a fan of the man, and the blues based, "gods of rock" era in general.

14. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Yup, me too. And all but Bridge of Sighs have great versions on the “Live!” Album. I’m not sure I’d know how to listen to that album without firing up a big bowl. I probably listened to the Dead under less influence than Trower...

Praxis likes this.

15. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    1979-80 we had a big fruitwood stereo console in a walk-out party basement at a house I grew up in - bar, pool table, shuffleboard, 3 couches and chairs, fireplace.

Stereo console had an auto return arm but it never shut off, so it played the Trower LIVE record over and over and over. We'd crash out after a long night of whatever (it never mattered whatever "whatever" was) and a side of that record would play all night while we slept.

We subliminally knew every note and string scrape on that Lp.

For Jimmy Dewar (read Jonah's comments below - hilarious and spot on ! :lol::lol::lol: )

16. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    I am a fan, and in the camp of preferring his work with Procol Harum. As mentioned above Whiskey Train is a killer track and one of my all time favorites.

His solo work, to me, is so much more "straight ahead" and less eclectic than Hendrix that it is hard to compare them, except for some tonal similarities. I could do with a little less soloing, but that stuff was recorded in the 70s and that's how guitar heroes recorded back then. James Dewar's voice was a plus in my book.

Jim W likes this.

17. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I've not had a great deal of exposure to Robin Trower over the years. Sure, I've heard his stuff and liked it but never been an avid follower.

However, I download off a certain (legal) site and he recently released "Time and Emotion" which I had a sneaky peek at and quite liked it. So, I downloaded that and "Compendium" and I'm starting to get into his work a bit more.

I can see the connection with Hendrix but, as the earlier poster remarked, how couldn't guitarists of that era not be influenced by Hendrix. However, part of me actually likes the fact that RT isn't as flamboyant as Jimi Hendrix.

Much as I love Hendrix's music, there comes a point where I start to lose interest in his musical (and actual) pyrotechnics and just wish he'd play it a bit more "straight". I know that might be heresy to some but I value a bit of restraint and control.

He's playing in London on 29th November, so I might see if I can get a ticket.

18. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    From England and you value a bit of restraint and control ?! That's so surprising. ;)

If I was going to introduce someone to Hendrix I'd hand them Smash Hits and Axis Bold as Love - probably just Axis.

If I was going to introduce someone to Robin Trower, I'd hand them the Band of Gypsys album.

That never gets old...:lol::lol::lol:

Paul Jenkin likes this.

19. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, I've always felt the Hendrix wannabe comments were unfair. And a bit lazy - I could see coming to that conclusion, but only if you never did anything beyond scratching the surface of Robin's stuff.

20. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay
    I don't have a deep knowledge on Trower's work, but this song is absolutely amazing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.