Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on Neck Pickup Positioning

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Cheap Trills, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

May 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi! I'm curious about anyone's thoughts on positioning/distancing of neck pickups on Tele or Strat style guitars. I've heard the arguments both suggesting and debunking positioning at the 24th fret, but I was hoping to get some thoughts from experienced folks here on the sonic considerations of neck pickup placement

2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Wherever you put it, its position changes as soon as you fret a note. If you put it there to capture a certain node, then it will only work on open strings.

I tend to go with what's familiar, because it's familiar.

brookdalebill and Cheap Trills like this.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    My consideration is both the strat and tele neck pickups sound great. So I guess they are good where they are :)

4. since71

since71 TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2016
    London
    Magnetic pull at the node point has some effect? Who knows? But it took me years to realise Maxvintage's point about it only being the node on an open string. Crikey, I can be so stupid sometimes. Waparker4 has got it nailed, though - the Tele works, accept it, digest the data and play.

5. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    Here & Now
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Cheap Trills likes this.

6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I always wondered about a movable pickup to find the sweet spots. But I assume it's been done. Way before I was born...

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the idea of positioning it where the 23 fret would be. Prime number and all that. Although, 25 is a perfect square and is tempting, too.

BorderRadio and Sjnoring like this.

8. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan

9. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Hi guys,

I just thought of something for my Strat, a custom HSH pickguard. Will it hurt (magneticaly wise) if I position the single coil pickup just beside the neck pickup like so?

Capture.PNG

Please enlighten me.

Thanks!

10. tedtan

tedtan TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Kansas City
    It won't hurt anything. Steve Morse has done something similar for years

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SonsOfMoog likes this.

11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Regardless of what key you are in a Middle p-up never sounds like a Neck...Moving a p-up a fraction of an inch really effects the sound alot, thats why 24 fret necks sound off. Keep it standard.

tubejockey likes this.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Compare the sound of 'equivalent' Les Pauls to SGs. The SGs have the extra frets and push the neck pickup closer to the bridge. Or the sound of a Strat, that generally has three equivalent-wound-kohm pickups and switching between them shows you the trend in tone. Putting a pickup in the middle of a middle and neck position would give you an average tone between them.

Get a piece of stiff cardboard, trace out your current pickguard and the new location(s) you want to try, mount everything to that cardboard and install it. You'll get a sense for how it changes. Then you can order a custom cut pickguard and know exactly what you'll get for tone.

Iago, hellopike and Teleterr like this.

13. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    These sound incredible, and the pickup is nowhere near the 24th fret node.

Attached Files:

14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I have uni-route Mule I use for p-up tests. From trying every position I d recommend placing it on a Harmonic. But since its the Neck , only the 5th would be an option. I find the 5th boring for lack of a better word. Just no zing. The 6th is sweet. The 7th, oddly, is Necky to me. Its gives great vowel tones on bends so thats probably why, since it is brighter in general. But w the last two you re in middle territory, the normal middle being in between. Its the 2nd node of the 13th harmonic on a Strat.

15. tedtan

tedtan TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Kansas City
    The pickup sound isn't based on nodes as the the nodes only apply to a few notes on each string. The sound has more to do with the location of the pickup.

A string makes a lot of overtones/harmonics near the bridge and nut as it vibrates and fewer as you get closer to the 12th fret. At the 12th fret, there will be no overtones, only the fundamental. So a pickup placed near the bridge will pick up a lot of overtones and be brighter sounding, and will get warmer and fuller the closer it gets to the 12th fret. If you were to continue moving it from the 12th fret to the nut you will find the reverse: it's warmest at the 12th fret and gets brighter the closer it gets to the nut.

16. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    BINGO.

17. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    True, but on the two-pickup models the neck p'up is indeed right in the area of what would be fret 24.

Danjabellza likes this.

18. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    True. Most guitars put it under that node. 24 fret guitars sound pretty nice in the neck position, and they have to shift the neck pickup out of the way of the neck. I'd argue that anyone listening on a blind test couldn't tell if a neck pickup was under the node or not.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

For a 21 fret (or less) neck, I bet putting the pup where the 23rd fret would be gives a similar result.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.