Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thoughts on 50's Tele Refins

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by steveokla, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I have to say, as the owner of a '56 myself, I'm glad to see you hang onto it.

t guitar floyd likes this.

2. steveokla

steveokla TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2011
    oklahoma
    I thank you for you post. I'm convinced it's the way to go, but, truth is, confirmation from someone in the know with the same axe is reassuring.

I'd also add there's a sense of relief: I don't relish the 'hunt' so much as I used to. I've been through a lot of gear, and the process is taxing. I've been sitting on the same stuff now for about eight years. A '68 Tele will do very nicely to fill that void if I can find one. Keep your eyes peeled for me!

3. steveokla

steveokla TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2011
    oklahoma
    Just for yuks, here are pix of the '53 that I was considering. Full neck and body rein by Tom Murphy. IMG_6371.jpg

t guitar floyd likes this.

4. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    The name Phil Glaser rings a bell, but can't quite place him . . . is he in OKC? Norman?
    I used to live there in the days of Don Teeter in OKC and Phil Sampson in Lawton. I moved away in the early '70s. My wife is from Tahlequah and when we visit, that's usually where we go nowadays.
    Don't know too many folks in the repair business anymore, unfortunately. :(

5. steveokla

steveokla TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2011
    oklahoma
    In Nashville. As I understand it, he's the guitar tech to the stars--did all the repairs for the celebs after the flood in Nashville back in 2010. He's also the rep for Plek in the US. (Glaser is an engineer by training.)The handful of shops that do plek must go to Glaer's shop for training on the machine and such. I think he's also pretty close with Gruhn.

6. steveokla

steveokla TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2011
    oklahoma
    file_zps86a2d78f.jpg Damn! Here's the Strat I'd end up with along with the '53 Refin Tele. It's a 61, original except pot and frets. To say it's been played would be a masterpiece of understatement. Not to everyone's taste, but, frankly, it's a look I love. The combination of those two guitars gets me tempted again. Talk me out of it (or not?)!

Major Gruber likes this.

7. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Damn. But you and I are in the same age group. My strat has been with me for three decades plus. I've had one pickup rewound by fralin. But it still sounds unlike any other strat I've owned.

I would miss it. I've turned down many trades. And cash offers.

Hang on to the one you know you love.

8. steveokla

steveokla TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2011
    oklahoma
    Seeing this pic kinda stirred my interest in the 53 refin and that Strat again when I'd convinced myself just to keep the 56 Strat, find a 78 Tele and forget about it.

9. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK
    Oh just buy the '53 Steve! :)

10. steveokla

steveokla TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2011
    oklahoma
    Looks like I'll be getting the chance to play it (and the '61 Strat) in the next couple weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks, Steve

Masterbuilt likes this.

11. unseen hand

unseen hand Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2014
    Phoenix, Az
    Since we're talking refins why not save a bunch of money and get a 68 refin?

I have a refinished 56 esquire coming my way in about a week or so so I'll be able to report back. it's mostly original except for the refin and tuners. To be honest the neck, body and pickup are my biggest concern. For the sake of this conversation I'll let you know that I paid 6.5k. That's way more then I've ever spent on a guitar but I'm a tele fanatic and always dreamed of a 50's guitar so I gave myself a present. For me the price seemed fair considering originals of that vintage are going 3-4x that. I'm a player so I could care less about what I consider the non essential parts. It's big bux for me but worth every penny if it's in the zone of the other whitegaurds I've played. Luckily for me I'll have a few days to play her

Masterbuilt and Major Gruber like this.

12. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    That's an amazing looking strat, I love them so much when they've been played like this!

13. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    I can't wait to see pix of it! ;)

14. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK
    Wow, that IS a great price. Not seen a 50's Tele for that little for quite some time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.