Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Thought a Twin was Supposed to be the Loudest Clean?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scrapyardblue, Mar 18, 2017.

1. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    But lets not forget that there were a few DR201's also - f'ing scary thought.

2. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Holy cow. Curiosity + Google yielded this: the Crate BV600H. 300W out of 8 12AX7s, 2 12AU7s, and 6 6550s.

3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    My 1977 Ultralinear 135 watt Twin will peel paint.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    First off, I am a big Whitey Morgan fan and been to a few sound checks where that Twin was plenty loud. The key is the speakers though, if you run the JBL's or Altecs, it would sound a whole lot louder than with less efficient speakers.

I love those Altec speakers and even my mid-size amps sound a lot louder with that cabinet.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    But lets not forget that there were a few DR201's also - f'ing scary thought.

I saw one of these one lunchtime on stage in a deserted pub in the Midlands. It just sat there, all on its own exuding a terrible menace....

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Come on... 15 watts is more than enough for anything :)

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    When I read that a Twin is reeeaaaly loud I figure it's one o' those country players talkin'.
    I've often had to turn down a 50w Marshall so a Twin could be heard.
    I've had a UL Twin and a Bassman 135, certainly louder than an 85-100w Twin, but not as loud as your basic metal panel 100w Marshall.
    Not sure a JCM800 is as loud, maybe not.
    I've run a Bassman 135 (same output section and transformers as UL TR) and a '70 Marshall Super Bass into the same cab and the Marshall was painfully louder.
    Ampeg V4 or VT22?
    Hiwatt?
    I'd be interested to hear an HD130 next to a UL TR, haven't had the pleasure/ pain of both in the same room.

The circuitry that keeps a Twin clean, basically prevents it from getting much louder after clipping AFAIK.
    Some four el34 Marshalls and Hiwatts making 100w at clipping (vol on 2-3) have been measured at 170w full volume AFAIK.
    Quite a few 100w Marshalls are not like this though, AFAIK the loudest were maybe '68-'74, plus the first 45/100 was more powerful than the second 100, though I've never experienced that amp.

IMO a TR is a very popular loud amp.
    And it's a small lightweight loud tube amp.
    But it's not a very loud, loud amp.

Paul G. and waparker4 like this.
  9. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    My Vibrosonic Reverb (8 ohm Twin) with the JBL D130 was plenty loud and clean, thank you. Only amp I owned that sounded great in a high school gym.

10. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Exactly!!

telemnemonics and bparnell57 like this.
  11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Not even for a soldering iron. :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.