Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thought a Twin was Supposed to be the Loudest Clean?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scrapyardblue, Mar 18, 2017.

1. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I played with a guy who used a Hiwatt 50 through an Orange 4X12 and wouldn't use an overdrive pedal. He said he had to turn it up to get "that sound." You can get into a volume war with a Hiwatt, but you aren't likely to prevail. I used a 50 watt JCM800 and a 2X12 with JBL E-120s. Won't beat the Hiwatt on dBs, but e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e dB is right in the hurty part.

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    The loudest clean I ever got from an amp without any pedals or mic's, just pure amp was a Dual Showman with 2x15? D130's.
    It wasn't my amp and I only got to play around with it about 10 minutes, but I was blown away.
    Never could justify owning an amp like that and I guess that was the case for most people because I do not see very much attention to them in the forums.
    But if you want endless clean, give the Dual Showman a look.

3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    const13a.jpg

How about 1000W?

telemnemonics and Tommy Biggs like this.

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Holy cow. Look at those capacitors!

What's this photo from? Link?

5. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Don't forget the Twin's taller brother the Super Six

Modman68 likes this.

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    bparnell57 likes this.

7. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA

8. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2011
    Baltimore
    This makes sense, that it sounded so good, the Renegade is a very underrated amp. Besides the clean I haven't used an OD pedal since getting one.

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Also the Super Twins with another pair of 6L6s. Ampeg made a guitar version of the original SVT bass amp. Very rare like maybe just a couple for the Stones but that had to be loud !
    I used to have a 50 watt Hiwatt that's probably the loudest amp I've ever owned. You could feel the volume !

bparnell57 likes this.

10. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Since we're talking Twin Reverbs and loud clean amps, I read a while back that Steve Jones claims all he played with the Sex Pistols was his Les Paul plugged straight into a Twin Reverb - no pedals, just volume.
    [​IMG]

Electric Mud likes this.

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    A TR played loud enough to breakup is pretty loud. Plugged straight in a guitar with hotter pickups than the Fezzsters in my Teles helps to push it, Les Paul or ES-330. (be careful where you stand with a 330)

12. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I had read he had a MXR D+ in front of it, but I'm not disputing your info... for a long time I played an LP or a Tele into a twin with no speakers>1960A. I never turned it up to 10 (small clubs) but used a D+.
    Somebody at cbgbs said "hey it's Steve Jones rig!"

13. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2011
    La mesa
    I played a friends super six once on an old harmony with flatwounds... holy crap it was tight and powerful!

14. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    Walter Trout used to (maybe still does) play through a Twin turned all the way up and pointed at the wall.

15. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Those'll kill 'ya. The ones that occasionally come to market are always in super clean condition: no one could figure out a use for them. Unsuitable for any purpose except as a space heater.

BuckSatan likes this.

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    There are plenty of amps that are louder than a Twin, SUNN made some very loud clean tube amps, someone already mentioned Hiwatt.
    I had a Sound City head with six 6L6 tubes, 120 watts, the old SS Acoustic amps were very loud.
    Peavey Roadmaster , Rockmaster, Festival all are loud.

And the Fender 400PS, I've never seen or heard one in person, something that big and heavy just has to be loud!

17. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I heard that guitars have them too.

18. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Leo himself made one - the Music Man HD130. That's a big heavy clean amp right there. Actually, I think Tom Walker was the mastermind behind the amp side of Music Man, but still.

bparnell57 likes this.

19. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I can promise you the Twin was not turned all the way up.

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    That'll kill you dead AND destroy the evidence...

clintj likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.