Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thom Yorke's '72 Fender Telecaster Deluxe - DYI

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ArieRin, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2012
    Dartmouth, NS, CA

Another "my wife' story. She foraged an old coffee table on garbage day. I told her i'd help spray it after work if she wanted. I got home from work and the house smelled like a chemical spill, she sprayed laquer in the furnace room.

Didn't blow up.

Torren61, DrASATele and ArieRin like this.

2. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam

3. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    First day of spraying primer.

I feel like it went pretty well, didn't make a mess, nothing was dripping. Just applied many very thin layers of primer with sufficient drying time in between.

Had a ventilated room, mask and everything, but I was still happy to get out of the room after every layer, haha. Pretty nasty stuff.

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3617.JPG

There are 6 very thin layers of primer on the guitar, each with 1-1,5 hours in between.

4. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    First layers of black are on there. Pickguard came in yesterday, foil is still on there but I think it looks good so far! I kinda like that the grain is still there a little, feels more characteristic to me. Today I put on the layers of clear coating for extra shine and protection, then the waiting of two weeks begins until the lacquer is hardened. Tik.. tak... tik.. tak..

In the meantime! I emailed Curtis about his thoughts on the wiring on his WRHB (who I will pick up in Houston in about two weeks), but the kind man is probably busy :).
    Any of you any thoughts about the wiring? 250K vs 500k pots.. capacitors.. of just use the old '72 wiring diagram?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Arch Stanton, DrASATele and Bruxist like this.

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I'd wait on Curtis. Did you ask him if he's suggest a kit? or even make up one? There's a few ebay shops where you can buy the full wiring harness pots, cap ect. Might be worth a look? If only to see/study what the make up is. The original set came with 1M pots. i think I'd go with the pickup maker in the end, maybe get a wiring diagram out of him? (I'm not sure what he sends his pups with, I only have a second hand Firebird of his.

Torren61, ArieRin and hrstrat57 like this.

6. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2011
    New Jersey
    it is, yea. my favorite.

ArieRin likes this.

7. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Curtis told me the originals had 1M pots. He suggested to start with that and original wiring.

A picture for the "dry lacquer, dry!" waiting time:

IMG_3661.JPG

2blue2, Southpaw Tele, Ekko and 6 others like this.

8. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Nice paint job! I'm not sure I'd be as patient as you.

ArieRin likes this.

9. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    I’d say get four as opposed to two wire conductors on those pick ups should you decide to do parallel/series or out of phase mods later on. You lose nothing if you want to go with standard wiring, but it gives you options later on.

ArieRin likes this.

10. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Okay guys, maybe you can help me out.

I bought the genuine fender Tele deluxe replacement neck. Took some time for the neck to come from the states, since fender doesn't sell those down here.

I received the neck and it looks great. The gloss finish, the frets, everything looks as expected except... the nut.

Fender delivers the replacement neck with a plastic pre slotted nut, but the slot placement looks bad. The pre slotting is down verrry lightly but still, the placement sucks. Can I vile deeper usable slots next to a lightly slotted part?

Maybe I want to replace the nut with a bone one. Any suggestions? Or other tips about the current slot?

IMG_3663.JPG

11. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    The nut up close:

IMG_3679.JPG

12. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    That nut is bad, feel for you. Also is it just the photo but it looks like the 1st fret is wonky?

13. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Its a bit under an angle, frets fortunately look fine.

awasson and Torren61 like this.

14. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Pretty sure Fender considers the nuts on those replacement necks to require cutting and a complete set up tho it’s been a while since I bought one that’s my recollection.

Put it all together and have a pro do the final setup perhaps?

Your build is coming along fabulously - great thread thanks for sharing your journey!

Can’t wait to hear the Novak WRHB’s!!!

Arch Stanton likes this.

15. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    ive often wondered what it would be like to play slide over wrhb pickups.... id bet it would get cooder-esque fairly quickly. tghe supro lap steel pickup is similar in construction.

16. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Nice job!

That's a great finish.

17. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

what did SHE do for 3 hours?

Torren61 likes this.

18. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Tap it out and replace it with an Earvana nut. Problem solved. You'll need to measure the width of the nut in inches and fractions AND you'll need to know the neck radius. Sorry we don't do metric. Sorry we write the date as month/day/year, too.

Jackadder and Southpaw Tele like this.

19. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Haha, apology excepted. I'm nut hunting, trying to see what is available here in Amsterdam. Tusq is widely represented, haven't seen Earvana so far. Thanks for your input!

Torren61 likes this.

20. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    I did the rounds of guitar stores last time I was in Amsterdam. You've possibly already checked these out but I would think two big guitar stores like Dirk Witte Music and Dijkman Music would carry Fender-style nuts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.