Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thom Yorke's '72 Fender Telecaster Deluxe - DYI

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ArieRin, Oct 27, 2017.

1. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Hahaha! Please let me know when you're in Amsterdam again, I'll show you the nice small live music venues hidden away.

Arch Stanton and Torren61 like this.

2. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I couldn't agree more about them being nice. Everyone spoke English, much to my relief, and were helpful anytime I needed help. I loved Amsterdam. So laid back. Tall, beautiful people everywhere. :D

ArieRin likes this.

3. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Totally off topic but I feel like I HAVE to post this video now.

That's me on my bike in Amsterdam every single day, hahaha.

4. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Nagoya, Japan
    Just out of interest, what are the other sites you're using? Most of the gear sites about Radiohead I found were pretty shaky, with the exception of King of Gear, though I concede my own efforts in this department don't go further than fitting Lace sensors (dually red, silver and blue), a killpot and a Tbx to my existing guitar, and of course assembling the appropriate pedalboard.

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I have a set of originals that were in an original 72 body that had been ruined and had an Asian neck on it. I had planned to use them in a 72 thinline build I did for one of the challenges a few years ago but never finished. Seeing this thread makes me want to get back to it.

Have you heard of Telenator? he/They are probably the WRHB experts. Followed by Novak, Lollar, and the 2 UK companies that were listed.

Also there a fellow on FB Dylan Pickups who does the re-wind of the new re-pros. He's a nice dude and his pups sound pretty good.

Good luck, I'll be following along!

6. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    You're certainly right! KoG is def the best. Cool to hear from another RH fan :)

7. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    I hope you find the time and mood to fit the originals in something nice! Amazing that you have a set.

I decided to go for Novak's WRHB. They sound amazing, and I hear nothing but good things about Curtis. Also, he has been incredibly friendly and helpful via email.

8. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Feels like Christmas!

I had to be in Houston for work for the weekend, and got a chance to go to a large guitar center. We don't have much like those around Amsterdam so it was a good opportunity to search for some parts. Got some hardware, and was happy to find out things are cheaper in the US.

The neck is probably coming next week, along with the rest of the hardware. Because of the body I need a 4 screw neck plate instead of the 3 bolts one, so that's the first concession I have to make.

I decided to let Curtis Novak make the WRHB for me and I am extremely excited! Getting those in a couple of weeks.

Enough time for me to sand and paint and polish the body the upcoming days. Will update you of course!

IMG_3610.JPG

awasson, Barncaster, Smiff and 2 others like this.

9. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    [​IMG]

10. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    This is always a good day! But then you realize you have all these parts and all you can do for the moment is look at them. Oh well...soon enough.

Torren61 and ArieRin like this.

11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Haha. Can you elaborate on that Roger? Something something paint particles suspended in air in a confined space have a better change of igniting I'm guessing? But I can't see it being a whole lot different from doing it in a larger space.

12. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    It's pretty simple really. Lacquer is solvent-based. That solvent is highly flammable. Drawing that solvent into the type of motor used in a box fan (the type with brushes and sparks), isn't a good idea.

13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Mr. Novak is a great guy I had similar conversations with him about Firebirds before Barncaster had me planning to wind my own. Novak knows his stuff and isn't afraid to talk shop, instead of talking down to you.

Lol Roger!
    But in honesty he's trying to save your life ;)
    So any fan used near Lacquer spraying/painting should be non-combustible. Oh and do not shoot this in your basement next your furnace, that would result in a much larger fire/explosion.

ArieRin likes this.

14. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada

15. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I stand corrected. You need an explosion proof fan. Sorry I almost killed you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    King Creole likes this.

16. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    awasson likes this.

17. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Looking forward to seeing your build.

Did you find an old Apple sticker yet?

ArieRin likes this.

18. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Thanks everyone for NOT trying to kill me! I'm going to look for a large ventilated workspace without sparkly stuff.

awasson and Torren61 like this.

19. ArieRin

ArieRin TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Thanks for your info! I have good experiences with Schaller so I'm convinced they would be great! I'm starting off trying to make a replica, so maybe in the future if I feel like upgrading I'll keep the schallers in mind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.