Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

This site is truly PLAGUED

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by DHart, Oct 2, 2018.

1. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    This is the only forum on the web (and I belong to a lot of forums!) where I am repeatedly bothered by being forced to web links which say “CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE WON...Amazon” blah, blah, blah spam garbage. This has happened to me countless times when visiting this site and it’s really beginning to bother me!

I am an Amazon prime member - could that be the problem?

Does anyone else here have this happen to them?

Not only that, but all the spam posts from far eastern (asian) spammers.

Why is it that TDPRI, one of the greatest guitar web forums, is so terribly plagued in this way? I never have experienced these kind of problems with any other enthusiast forum on the web.

Is the design/platform that this site is built upon unusually susceptible to such problems?

Should the owners of TDPRI transition to a more secure forum platform? This nonsense has become truly ridiculous.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Hmmmmm.....

I have never once had that happen here.

I'm curious if it's something about your web browser, computer security settings, or your wireless router.

:(

brbadg, Jim622, skunqesh and 11 others like this.
  3. Deebs3

Deebs3 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2018
    Australia
    I have never had these probs, except for the spammers, perhaps your problems are not site related, but to the device you are using.

4. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Then why does it only happen to me when I visit THIS site? Never any other... and I do visit a LOT of sites.

If no one else experiences these problems, perhaps it is unique to me, but why, then only when I visit THIS site? Perhaps an internet/web expert can explain?

5. Deebs3

Deebs3 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2018
    Australia
    No idea, just glad it doesn't happen to me although it has happened in the past at other sites if I recall, try a new device, maybe a different phone.

6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have had outbreaks of it here as well, and my wife had it one another site (I don’t recollect what, but it had nothing to do with guitars!). In both cases the answer was to install an ad blocker — I use AdGuard for iOS.
    I believe the fault is with Google Ads, that they allow ads to carry code which injects these “Congratulations! You have won...” pop ups. This is against their code of conduct but they seem poor at policing it.

bgmacaw likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I just got one another one now... “Congratulations... blah, blah, blah Facebook user.”

This must be a pop-up ad spammer. I will look into AdGuard for iOS, as I am on an iPad when this happens.

As for Google, I am doing everything possible to avoid using ANY Google products - those people are truly evil in what they are doing to us internet travelers - but they’re buying up so many internet properties that they are dominating the realm. Youtube is now part of Google and that is a sad state of affairs indeed.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    add me to the chorus of "never seen anything like that"

9. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Minnesota
    I get them as well. On my smart phone only.

10. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

It has happened to me often using my tablet or phone and using Safari as the browser over the past year. Realized that the Pop up blocker was turned off. Try that

11. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Not just here but a few other sites too so I believe it’s a browser issue

12. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Just passing thru
    Never seen what OP described. Might have been better to post this thread in Forum Problems and Issues sub-forum, rather than the Telecaster discussion sub tho . . .

AAT65, awasson and nicod98 like this.
  13. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I get it daily. When I get it I just go to another site and forget about TDPRI. Only when you click on a post. Also when I log on here at times I get a notice that this site is not safe. Getting to where I am about to give up on here.

MonkeyJefferson, DHart and troy2003 like this.
  14. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yup, this sounds like an issue with their ad aggregator system. They’re using a global ad campaign system that uses cookies that are connected to FB, Amazon, EBay, Stewmac, and pretty much every advertiser known to the Internet. It must be in the settings. I haven’t had this issue myself. I just made an Amazon purchase but I’m not a prime member. I’m also on FB but haven’t had the problem.

15. gtrplr

gtrplr Tele-Meister

May 22, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I get them, mostly on my iPhone. They’re worse for me on another site which has become almost unusable. I’m going to try AdGuard. Thanks for the tip, DHart.

16. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    Another one here who gets the pop ups on my iPhone only. My pop-up blocker setting is on.

It’s a company phone, so I can’t go adding additional software. I don’t pay the bill though, so I guess I can’t complain.

17. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I only get them here,but to be fair, this is one of only two forums I visit much. Clear everything out and I goes away for a little while.

18. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    D’oh!! Just got one!:mad:

19. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    They are terrible at policing it. They are a lot more diligent at demonetizing "offensive" YouTube content creators (examples, Mousetrap Monday, Guns & Guitars) than dealing with spammers who hurt thousands of websites with their malware ads.

E5RSY and AAT65 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.