Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

THIS PROBABLY ALREADY EXISTS BUT I DON’T KNOW

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Piggy Stu, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    As I see different people on here say they’re a weak player/write their own songs/whichever, part of me wonders if that’s accurate. A combination of false modesty/BS means I bet some great players feign inability, and other people are actually really weak and derivative

What I thought was if there was something in your profile, behind your avatar, where you could drop a couple of files of you playing a bit, where you can say the guitar/amp/pedal/any settings you like

People could anonymously visit, hear you playing your 59 Les Paul through a Tweed Deluxe turned up to 11, and know a lot about what you’re really all about

I know some people start threads that have clips of stuff they played, but that isn’t really what I am thinking. Any time someone says something quirky, I could click on his avatar and follow into something he played, as opposed to needing to see the thread come up (I would never think to search for a thread anyone posted with a sound clip in it)

Apologies if this infuriates someone because it already exists and I wasted all your time

Anode100 likes this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    THE CAPS LOCK KEY? YES IT EXISTS! I AM PROOF!

beagle and RetroTeleRod like this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    I do not want to post anything because i'm every bit as bad as I say I am. I am "really weak and derivative".

Crafty Fox and bgmacaw like this.
  4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I aspire to one day being "really weak and derivative"

Crafty Fox, RLee77 and thunderbyrd like this.
  5. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Not posting is fine: just for those who are happy for their sound to be found could drop something in there, and the curious could find it and see a deeper expression of a person than just people discussing 3 saddle bridges

I reckon I would drop in my efforts at Smokestack Lightnin played on p90s

6. thunderbyrd

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    I could help you out with some lessons. i'd like to put this 45 yrs of guitar wankery to some use. maybe we could start a band.

stratofortress likes this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    enjoy sharing what guitars i play into what amps..just love music..especially original music...just posted monday my 3rd song from studio...1987 plexi circuit with Gibson SGJ strait in..no pedals...

8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Give me thirty-two tracks, an infinite amount of time, and the ability to punch in and re-record every clam I play in given piece, and I'll probably come out with something on tape that sounds exponentially better than I actually am.

Come into a room with me, give me a guitar, and ask me to play something, and then you'll understand just what a lousy player I really am!

That's not false modesty, it's just the truth. I can come off as more than competent on tape, because I can take my time and go back and fix my mistakes.

In person, I just suck.

All of this is relative, of course. I've played with some folks who have make me look like a combination of Jaco Pastorius and Allen Holdsworth. But, that's only because the people in question suck more than I do.

The fact that they suck more than I do doesn't make me any better. It just means they suck more.

Wow, that's a lot of sucking in this post. I think I need to go practice now!

YeOldeTeleDuder likes this.
  9. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Practice sucking?

I had a period 4 years ago where someone kept asking me to record my playing in WhatsApp for them. Low fi made me sound a lot better. Reminded me of early Stones. I lost them all when my phone went about 3 weeks ago

I would just record 50 seconds of who I really am and leave it at that. Using techniques to make me sound like who I am not would be a bit like lying at the start of a romance. It is like stealing clothes that you KNOW are not your size

I don't mind if people think my playing is rubbish, if it gives insight into the naughty piggy that I am

10. thunderbyrd

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    come to think of it, I've got this little Led Zep/Yes chordal rip off I've been playing with for several days that isn't too embarrassing... But I don't have any kind of recording equipment to post it.

11. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    i think the studio brings out the best...nowhere to hide...you really have to play your best..nothing like a sound engineer with a click going on and watching pitch meters..me ..i just plug in and crank the marshall....i came in after a rapper last week..they were glad to have real music and not beats....lol... they actually mic'd up 3 speakers this song..freakin amazing what each one does to color the tone...no infinitie time and 32 takes..ya gotta be on your game !!

12. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I just recorded stuff on my phone

Weak sound in and out.... no big deal. It allows people to hear my timing and phrasing.... and the fact I never got beyond John Lee Hooker

blowtorch and JustABluesGuy like this.
  13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I posted a sound clip of my band, The Nickelback Hate here once. It spawned a thread about how bad we are that went thirty-plus pages. If you don't believe me just search 'The Nickelback Hate needs to stop'.

stratofortress and JustABluesGuy like this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I believe you!

But if you didn't tell me that I could never look at your avatar and be 1 click away from hearing it

Just an idea

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

cellphone amigo. cellphone.

16. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    So what you’re saying... You want an anonymous method by which to weight someone’s opinion versus you’re own experience, when they pipe in on a particular guitar/amp situation.

Someone who plays well (as judged by the listener) would have more credence for you than someone who plays in a manner that is not attractive to you... in that particular thread.

Is that part of it?

stratofortress likes this.
  17. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Do you know how to post it behind your profile?

18. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Not saying this at all

I want to read something by a person that intrigues me enough to say ' what sound would this escaped mental patient make?', and listen to it at that point

I mainly go on here on mobile so never listen to soundcloud where someone puts their latest session

I always found when people I know get on an instrument it reveals an extra dimension to them

19. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Haha!

Gotcha.

I enjoy posting clips of myself playing, though I rarely do. I haven’t recorded anything with a band in years. I have a 2” reel of a solo instrumental project that I started about 12 years ago, and then lost access to the studio. It has finished drums, bass, and a few guitar parts, but no lead lines yet.

I have an old friend who owns a top tier studio in D/FW area who said he’d love to give me free studio time to come finish it. He said he transfer the drums and bass to digital, and we could go from there.

I just don’t have time.

But I’d love nothing more than to load up all my gear and drive down to Texas for a week and finish it all up.

bftfender likes this.
  20. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    kinda get what you are meaning, i read these posts a lot to learn about amps and pickups and speakers and being able to click on and hear the stuff would be cool..this time around , documenting every amp setting and all the dif things we do while recording...for a reference..someone want to know a plexi sound or jcm900 or DSL or what the 5 dif pups i use sound like .....will be able to have a clip to show the sound

Piggy Stu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.