Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

This might just ruin Neil Young for you Forever!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RetroTeleRod, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I remarked to a friend yesterday that anytime I hear Neil Young sing he makes me think of how Bruce Dern talks. Oops. I think I ruined it for him. Where is the unhear button?

Doug 54 likes this.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Gonna take more than that to ruin Neil for me!!!!!

3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Not hearing it.

Neil is a big influence for me. He is not a good singer or guitar player but it still works. One of my favorite songwriters too. Top 5 songwriters for me, probably. Top 10 for sure.

I'm pretty sure I'd dislike him if I met him. Same with most of my favorites.

4. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I just barely know who Bruce Dern is, but I did get kicked out of his house in Malibu colony one early morning.

5. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Who's Bruce Dern? ;)

studio1087 likes this.

6. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Laura Dern's father.

Frank'n'censed and nojazzhere like this.

7. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I hope you said "I've been kicked out of better places than this!" as you were leavin'.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

8. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I'd like to hear Bruce Dern sing a Neil Young song. Lol. I love seeing Bruce Dern pop up in old episodes of Gunsmoke. I can't recall any clips of him singing though. Darn.

9. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    Laura Dern's dad.

10. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Was Laura there? :oops:

11. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Like my father used to always say about Willie Nelson; "He doesn't have a good voice, but he knows how to sing with it".

CFFF, RodeoTex, JustABluesGuy and 3 others like this.

12. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    Bruce Dern is kind of like Gene Hackman; a solid actor who's been working in all kinds of films for a long time.

13. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado

14. jhundt

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    ha ha! no, I was too busy trying to scoop up all the liquor bottles we had brought. I wasn't gonna leave all that behind, to be stranded at dawn on Malibu Beach without even a drink!

BTW neither Mr B Dern nor his daughter were present, and had nothing to do with this. They are quite likely very nice and friendly people.

15. Arafel

Arafel TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Denver
    I think Neil can be a great singer, depending on the song. Case in point:

JustABluesGuy and drlucky like this.

16. jhundt

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    no, in fact no member of the family was present... except pets! I'll bet the Derns are very nice friendly people. Good thing they weren't there!

17. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I like Neil and that's pretty good for him but I wouldn't call it great singing. A great performance, yes. Emotional and heartfelt.

Just my opinion and not worth much.

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I never understood the idea that Neil isn't a good singer or guitarist.

Unconventional? I can see that.

Not like other commercially successful artists? I can see that.

But not good? Or bad? I don't see it.

When I think of somebody with a "bad" voice, or who can't sing, I think of somebody with bad pitch and no control. No tonality.

Neil is unconventional, but he's not a bad singer. He's in tune, and has control. He sounds EXACTLY like he means to.

As far as guitar playing, I love him. Again, unconventional. Not what everybody expects to hear when it's guitar solo time. But not bad in any way. Again, he sounds exactly as he means to. And he puts a lot of thought and work into sounding like he does. I can't imagine his music being improved by having anyone else on guitar. His sound and style adds so much to the feeling and vibe he puts across.

A friend of mine once said "he plays all the wrong stuff in exactly the right places". It's a fair assessment.

I understand that some people just can't see it. Many of them would classify me as a better singer and player than he is. They'd be wrong. I've been learning from Neil for a lifetime, and I hope I never stop.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Has anyone ever seen neil young and bruce dern in the same room together?

20. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    A Neil fan here.

Jakedog speaks the truth. It's about getting the song across with the voice you've got.

Think of how many times you've heard a technically very capable or well trained singer perform
    in any place from a lounge somewhere to a symphonic program or political event and their singing
    left you unmoved or unimpressed.

The story goes that when Elvis famously shot at his TV set, it was his reaction to hearing Robert Goulet singing
    on a broadcast.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.