Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

This looks super low right?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Backbeat8, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    Please tell me this action looks ultra low, so that I know I can avoid the choking out problem while still keeping this intrument playable??
    44816855941_8c379e538f_o.jpg
    All three saddles look very low on this right? Because the high E and B were choking on any bends above the 12th fret. I only want to do 3 step bends at most and I am using Beefy Slinky Ernie Balls..
    43940984615_363a1f64b1_o.jpg
    I could bend fine on this one, the saddles are higher all round it seems, they are both vintage radius but the yellow one had 6105 frets on it.

2. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    There is no way to tell how high your action is by those pictures.

3. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    If you want someone to comment on the action on these guitars you might want to take a side view pic. It is impossible to tell how high the strings are off the fret board. They look low, but I can't tell for sure. EDIT: The poster above beat me to it.

Also, I have been playing guitar for 4 decades now. I still have no idea what choking out is. I play the notes that I want to hear - to quote someone famous. Pretty sure I have never wanted to hear a note choking out, so I don't play them to do it (if I knew what it is.)

Tedyjoe1 likes this.
  4. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    We need close up side shots of the neck, preferably frets 12-22. Also, make sure there is some scattered dirty laundry laying in the background.

fatcat and radiocaster like this.
  5. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    Those saddles look low is what I am asking ... There's a lot of screw sticking up

6. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Can't be sure without being there or seeing a ruler in place, but that looks mighty high to me! And while I'm not certain, that laundry may be too clean? :p
    My $.02,
    Gene

8. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    That is definitely not ultra low action. Looks like you could slip a 2x4 under there. You should take your guitar to someone to get a proper setup done or take this opportunity to learn to do it yourself.

Chunkocaster and gwjensen like this.
  9. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Saddle height is just one component of the action. Neck angle is just as important IME. If you’re doing the set up yourself, I think that reading a step by step tutorial is a good idea. You’re going to want to consider fretboard radius, string gauge, neck angle, neck relief, saddle height.

3 step bends? That’s pretty bendy . . .

10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Buy a string height/action gauge. Very worth it.

Can you take a picture of the side of the bridge, maybe from about 10 o'clock if the neck were 12? I want to see what the break angle over the saddles is like. Also want to see how much saddle height adjustment screw is left below the saddle.

Has the neck ever been removed? Is there a shim in there? If not, a shim may help with string height, neck angle, string break angle, etc. It only takes the tiniest amount of shim to do the work and Fender even puts shims in Custom Shop guitars.

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    And feet. Don't forget the feet.

12. robinsong

robinsong Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2017
    Vancouver BC Canada
    You need to measure from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string for string height at the 11th fret, but as one of the last members said take it to a tech that will let you watch a setup. Neck angle and neck relief and nut height all factor in. Choking out can be a high fret or neck radius. Too many unknown variables to give you a definitive answer just take it for a setup and evaluation.

13. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks for all the fabulous responses and pms' very helpful!

14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Just dump the strings all the way to the top of the fret and adjust them up until it stops buzzing and you can get enough meat under them to bend comfortably.

15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Choking out may indicate a high fret somewhere. Have it looked at by a tech and have it leveled out, if necessary. This cured the choke on a couple of my guitars. Also, too little relief, or any back-bowing can cause bend choke.

Those strings look a little too high to me, but it's a tough call from just a photo.

Also, as someone started to say, the saddle height can be different for different guitars, depending on pocket depth, neck angle, etc.

LazyBear and Backbeat8 like this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    A little high? My acoustic has lower action than that and bends fine with 12's.

17. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    From my experience, with acoustic, a guitar will have one cconfiguration, where the backbow pe3rfectly offsets the string tension

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Blue Bill likes this.
  18. macatt

macatt Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2007
    silverdale wa
    You don't judge high or low action by observing the the height of the saddles.
    With a nice low action of 4/64th or 5/64th, the saddles might look higher or lower depending on the neck angle and the amount of relief.

For the optimal nice playing guitar, you need to have the nut slots as low as practicable, set relief properly (usually .010" or less) and then set action at the bridge. When the action is set where you want it, the saddles should be somewhere in the middle of their range with some adjusting room to both raise and lower them.

If the saddles bottom out on the bridge plate before you get the action low enough, you need to change the neck angle with a shim. Same if the saddles are at the very top limit of their range and you needed more height.

Having perfectly level frets to start with will allow the closest action.
    SO, you see that it involves several factors.
    I think you should heed the advice given and take it to a good tech for a set up.

It's easy to set the relief, action and intonation yourself but nut work and fret work requires someone with the tools and the experience to do the job right.

S Mac

LazyBear likes this.
  19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.