Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

This looks like a great deal to me...MIM FSR Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JBFatFingers, Jun 1, 2017.

1. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2016
    Canton, MI
    bullfrogblues likes this.

2. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    If I was in the market for a strat this would be my near perfect strat. Satin neck, rosewood fretboard, heavy mass trem block, 3 color sunburst and a tort guard for under $500. Dang.

Especially tempting since this will likely be one of the last MiM rosewood fretboards.

eugeneoh531 likes this.

3. eugeneoh531

eugeneoh531 TDPRI Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Man, wish this was out when I bought my strat. Checks almost all the boxes for me.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    That is better than the Stupid Deal Of The Day !
    * I see they also have a black Strat / Maple fingerboard for the same price .

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    JBFatFingers likes this.

6. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Lowell, Indiana

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    It is a pretty guitar, from the description since it doesn't say alnico pickups, I think it has the cheap dual bar magnet pickups, and the full size trem block is still a cast block not steel.
    So depending on what you like it might still need some upgrades , but it is a nice looking axe.

8. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    NY
    Yeah, for $479 it's not even plated in gold either. What a POS. :p

awasson likes this.

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I wish it were a hardtail I'd get one. A tremolo adds 1.5 lbs to the guitar.

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Fender doesn't seem to make many cheaper hardtail Strats , the MIM Robert Cray Strats have non trem bridge, if you can find one used they are great sounding guitars and have IMO great feeling necks.

And I wasn't knocking the guitar in my earlier post, just clarifying some details about it like the pickups and tremolo block. A used 60s Classic MIM might be found for around the same price with alnico pickups and a vintage spaced tremolo bridge ( also with a cast non steel block though)

awasson likes this.

11. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    I used to run a block in my 57 ri, Instant hard tail pops right out to change back

12. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I'm not seeing any difference between this and a MIM Standard, except this is on sale for $100 less. "Standard" pickups is code for "ceramic"- if they were alnico, they'd have said so.

If I was going to spend $500 on a Strat, I'd pick up a used MIM Classic. Or, if I was lucky, a used USA G&L Legacy.

13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    i say go for it. it's very pretty.

14. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    Nice looking no doubt. Still not sure why they dont offer alnico pups. Added costs I suppose but still....
    I had an 07 CAR for a few years. The pups were sweet sounding pop\soul but no real grind.
    For about 2 bills less theres the Squier CV 60. Looks identical.
    My 2 cts

15. Wildwind

Wildwind TDPRI Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Lansing, Michigan
    The stock ceramics in my MIM Strat actually sounded very good. I did replace them but only because my gig needs silent pickups.

If in the market, I'd buy this one in a heartbeat.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

16. rich815

rich815 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

17. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    HI
    I received the similar FSR black HSS as a gift from the wife a year or two ago. Pickups were junk though IMO. Threw in some CS '69s, new wiring and quality electrical components, set up, and fret dress. Good way to get into a cheap Gilmour Strat project.

Best part about it was the neck. Chunky and vintage style. I'm very happy with it now, also veryhappy with the wife for the sweet gift.

[​IMG]

awasson likes this.

18. rich815

rich815 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

The MIM pups are far from terrible. I recommend a listen to some YouTube videos with the ceramic pickups that come with the standard MIM strats. Some respectable tones I think.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I think the stock MIM ceramic strat pickups are rude and nasty - exactly what they should be. They drive an amp nicely also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.