Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

This Is Why I Don't Like To Think About What Goes On In Restaurant Kitchens

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Bootstrap

Bootstrap TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ohio
    This is true. Your individual exposure to foodborne illness is likely /much/ higher at home, while the public risk of foodborne outbreak is higher from restaurants.

Some tips to make your home cooking less gross:

-Wash your hands more often than you think you should

-Cook to proper temps - 135 F steaks and veggies, 155 ground beef, 165 birds

-Sanitize your utensils, dishware, and cookware. Use bleach

-Sponges are gross, use dish/wiping cloths and sanitize with bleach between uses

-If it's in your fridge for more than 7 days and it's not: condiments, butter, really dry stuff like flour, cheese, uncut veggies/fruit, or non-perishable, toss it

-If you have gross sores all over your hands, WTHeck go the doctor

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Tone Eee likes this.

2. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    Jut a right of passage for "Crew Members". Another Right of Passage has something to do with the pickle barrel using a slightly different bodily function.You might say it keeps the pickles "tangy and delicious".

3. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2010
    Earth
    I agree with Bootstrap on all counts. I cook for a living. Have owned, run and worked in restaurants for over 20 years now.
    The pic in the OP looks like eczema to me. I get it bad sometimes. Something about kitchen work triggers it.
    By law you should wear gloves when handling anything "ready to eat." I hate that rule and hate gloves but if you have any kind of open skin you should have it covered to protect the guests and to let you heal. That guy needs gloves.
    And yes, most restaurants worth a damn do care. My wife and I love to eat out.

Oh, and good eye Bones!

Solaris moon, Tone Eee and Bootstrap like this.

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    When I lived in Greece about 30 years ago a lot of places didn't bother with menus. They just took you into the kitchen and showed you what was cooking, and you ordered. In that situation it had to be pretty clean.

thelowerlip likes this.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I lasted six hours before I clicked on this. That's something, at least...

Bill likes this.

6. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2010
    Earth
    Heck yeah! Open kitchen? No menu? Sign me up!
    A small menu written on a chalk board is usually a good sign too.

brbadg and hemingway like this.

7. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    It's a screen capture that I took from a news video of him preparing the meal.

8. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    How long did you last after you clicked on it?

9. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    LOL

10. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    So The chef in his work clothes takes a pee in the public toilets and walks out without washing his hands. I watch him return to the place he works and won’t be eating there.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    TOO LONG

Bones likes this.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Salads and any kind of fresh vegetables or fruit are the #1 cause of food borne illness in a restaurant.

Many years in commercial kitchens and defrosting chickens in a huge sink often used to wash lettuce leaps to mind...:confused:

Tone Eee likes this.

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    We've come a long way since the days we were competing with vultures and hyenas for the last meat on the bones of carrion laying in the hot sun for days...

Now we freak out if our salad fork isn't properly chilled...:lol:

nojazzhere likes this.

14. Tone Eee

Tone Eee Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    The conditions in which produce is picked contributes, too. Often, a bathroom break is either impossible (no potty) or too costly, and a quick squat in the field takes care of business.

You don't wash lettuce with soap.

15. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    nothing worse than an uptight salad fork.

william tele likes this.

16. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia

17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    You must have worked at KFC, too. I did in high school. That's why I never go there any more.

nojazzhere likes this.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Once I was in the drive-thru at the place you just mentioned. As I waited, I could see in the window. An employee dropped a pair of tongs, used to pick out chicken pieces, on the floor....BIG CLATTER.....she picked them up, and put them right back on the rack. I didn't say anything, it wouldn't have done any good....I just never went back.
    P.S. That particular place is now out of business.

19. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    I know a guy who does restaurant inspections for the state Health Department and I asked him once where he goes out to eat, figuring it would be safe.

And he said, I don't.

brbadg likes this.

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Yep. Gross, but it happens. I worked at a Chinese restaurant in college, and the lunch special included an egg roll. Yup, we grabbed them from the bowl with our fingers, and used tongs when the inspector was around. It's just the way it was. On a busy lunch shift, those extra couple seconds it took to stop, pick up the tongs, grab and plate the egg roll, then go made a real difference vs. just grabbing an egg roll while walking by and plating it on the way out the kitchen door.
    There are also roaches in every single kitchen you order from, and likely rats, too. That just also needs to be accepted, you're never gonna keep them out for long.

Mike SS likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.