Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

This Is Why I Don't Like To Think About What Goes On In Restaurant Kitchens

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Was just watching a feature on a Long Island restaurant on a local news site and something caught my eye, so I freeze framed and screen captured it.

This kind of stuff and much worse goes on every day, I'm sure of it and we still dine out once or twice a week.

Just seems in this day and age, you would keep your hands covered while handling food when your skin is this damaged.

DSC_0320 -1.jpg

2. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    So, I was getting a soup at the restaurant. The waitress comes with her thumb in my soup.
    WTF, I say.
    She says I have an infection and the doctor says I have to keep my thumb warm.
    You know where you can put it I say.
    She replies : what do you think I do in the kitchen?

It's good for making your immune system strong

3. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    That's pretty bad.I've seen alot of guys with bad skin handle food.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Do the math...

1) Many restaurants don't drug test their staff.

2) People addicted to opioids and meth tend to develop skin problems.

5. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

You know Bones, this thread is more disturbing than usual.

6. Bootstrap

Bootstrap TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ohio
    Oh fun, if this was in Ohio, it'd be an OAC 3717-1-3.2 A(2) violation (Unprotected contact with ready to eat foods), as well as a potential 3717-1-02.1 A(1) (Uncovered lesion on hand). I never wrote many 3.2 A(2)'s cause most folks have the good sense to put on gloves when the health department shows up. Both are critical violations and also gross.

Actually I'd always get a chuckle when I showed up for an inspection and literally every staff member suddenly decides to don gloves, even the fellows mopping floors and hauling trash to the dumpster.

On the subject of gloves, there is a sizeable minority of health inspectors who would prefer to see gloves disappear from kitchens except for particular circumstances such as covering a lesion. Gloves create a false sense of safety. Lots of food employees treat gloves as magical barriers to foodborne illness that don't need to be changed or their hands washed, even when switching from handling money to plating an entree, or prepping raw chicken to making salads.

But if your skin is all nasty lookin, you should totally wear gloves. Especially when on TV.

MisterZ, Tone Eee and Tele1966 like this.

7. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    "Everybody like the sausage, but no one wants to know how its made";)

8. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I worked in the lesser restaurants when I was a young adult....

The less you know about what goes on behind that kitchen door; the better...

Never screw around with the people that handle your food.

Tha film "Waiting" was a perfect cross section of my late teens...

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I try not to think of it. I have a friend who avoids restaurants pretty much altogether.

I have been with people who reject their dishes for various reasons. Now, I would not touch anything off of their plates after the meals are returned. No way, no how.

10. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    What does skin condition have to do with it? Properly run restaurants always utilize latex gloves to prevent raw food to cooked food cross contamination.

And what did this guy do? POSE for this photo?

dented likes this.

11. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Did they try to charge extra for the bonus bacon bits?

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    In the course of survival I'm sure I've passed some unthinkable strains of bacterium through my system. I might even possibly be the opposite of Bones because I don't really think about this stuff...unless something has a bad odor.

Then I use some hot sauce...

13. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    Hot sauce will kill the germs

Chunkocaster and brbadg like this.

14. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Thumb in soup? Count yer blessings. My friend Grub worked in a major chain when I was in high school. I watched him do something in a shake he was serving that shocked even my rather inured sensibilities. You really don’t want to know.

15. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    We RARELY eat out. We cook our own food and it's all top grade in a clean kitchen. I don't often find a restaurant that cooks as good as we do at home. Guy Savoy in Paris was an exception.

catdaddy and Obsessed like this.

16. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2013
    Clarkdale, AZ
    don`t worry, they never remember bad tippers

17. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Horrible picture, gross even. I regret opening this thread for the picture.

BUT I live with the (possibly deluded) idea that it is highly unlikely a known, popular restaurant will have staff go out of the way to do something horrible to my food and in most cases what they can proactively do won't kill me.

As a person who has had fairly extreme case of campylobacter before (Fainting, and ALL the other symptoms ...thought I was going to die for over a week) I am not keen to go through that again.

I just don't want to (choose not to) live my life in fear of anything (within reason) and eating out at a food joint is especially one of them.

18. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    I tell my wife sometimes at a restaurant, “What you don’t know, won’t hurt!”.

brbadg likes this.

19. Bootstrap

Bootstrap TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ohio
    This is my experience. I hear a lot of anecdotal horror stories, but I see very few. Most restaurants I've worked with are interested in maintaining a relatively clean, safe operation. The ones that aren't are usually pretty clear about it, and have a reputation for it.

dented, kookaburra and Tone Eee like this.

20. Tone Eee

Tone Eee Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    That is indeed a code violation and gross as heck.

But you're far more likely to get sick from home cooking without thermometers, bleached cutting boards, a hi temp dishwasher, and regular training and inspections .

That disgusting sponge in your sink or that sandwich you left in your car too long are gonna do you in first.

Bootstrap likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.