Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

This is the "How Many Amps Do You Own" thread

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I've had roughly 37.9 butt loads of amps in my life. Currently have 3:

DV Mark FGC121. Because it's awesome.

Marshall Valvestate AVT50 1x12. Because I haven't sold it yet.

Dirty Town custom DT18 head. Because I could never sell it. It was a gift from the owner of the company, who's also a great friend.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Currently I just have five amps, or only three if you don't count duplicates.

1 - Crate TX50DB "Limo"
    1 - Fishman Loudbox Mini
    3 - Vox Pathfinder 15Rs

However, I do have my sights set to pull the trigger on a couple of others, hopefully this year.

Peavey Bandit
    Vox MV50, probably the AC version, maybe both the AC and the Clean.*

* I don't have a separate cab, so whichever MV50 I get, it will necessitate also getting a cab.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

AC15C1x

Supro 1688TN (64/65 vintage, my first amp)

Peavey "Teal Stripe" Bandit

4. Joshiquad

Joshiquad TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Wisconsin
    1 - Fender Princeton Chorus: it was the 80’s, I was young and stupid

2 - Peavey Classic 50: it was the 90’s, I had my first real job and this was an affordable tube amp. After I got the right speakers I have been very pleased with this amp.

3 - SWR SM-450: I played bass in a power trio for many years. Very good purchase.

4 - Danelectro Honeytone: Because sometimes there is no substitute for the mobility that battery power affords. And my wife wanted to get me a stocking stuffer one Christmas.

5 - Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special: I wanted it. It costs more $$ than my talent will ever warrant. But, wow – this amp is just wow!

5. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Some amazing vintage amp collections on this thread, including a bunch I have never seen before. Thanks for posting the pix.

Mesa F50
    Mesa TA15
    Mesa MiniRec 25
    Vox Night Train 50
    Roland Cube 40

Only got a photo of the NT50 at hand. This is the most recent acquisition and I’m still exploring the sounds. Not many seem to use them but I’m kind of liking it. Still gig with the F50 though.

867DA825-C4CD-44C3-9276-47A464F1F597.jpeg

24 track likes this.

6. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Western New York
    Just two right now. Roland Blues Cube Hot and then a Line 6 Amplifi TT.

7. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    a couple of pictures of mine. plus a 75 vibrochamp, 76 champ, 2014 vox ac15c1, two 5e3 tweed deluxe clones and a couple SS practice amps. edit: forgot my 65 sears silvertone 1482 and boy is it mad at me. ha!

play music!
    Fenderland II.jpg gibsonland.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Down from ten amps six months ago to four amps.

Two Marshalls and two Fenders.

E2FDA28A-5DF6-4142-94F9-430CB2A0E767.jpeg AEB5A57C-17F7-4943-A282-FA41AB4C0F45.jpeg F42B2F8D-BD66-4DF2-AF24-E1B04E45B642.jpeg FC25E950-7289-46DE-95CD-08B3072831ED.jpeg

Southpole, 24 track and pondcaster like this.

9. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Glad to see somebody else shares my idea of using moving dollies for amps. Harbor Freight?

gridlock likes this.

10. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Afflicted

Jan 2, 2017
    Vermont
    I've got two amps. My main one is a 1966 Fender Super Reverb. My guitar teacher sold it to me when I was 15 (I'm almost 52). It's been a workhorse - all over the country in the back of vans - lots of clubs. I use that for larger joints and recording. The other amp is a Vox AC15VR. I've been backing up singer/songwriters in the last few years, mostly smaller clubs, so it works great for those situations. It's been fun seeing what people are playing through. Great post!

gridlock likes this.

11. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I am also of the 'three is the number' school of thought.

My smallest is a 5F1 tweed champ clone from a Boothill kit. It is the perfect size for rehearsals, practice and low volume gigs. It lives up to the reputation of tweed champs in that it goes from sweet to a really fun nasty depending on whether you tickle or torture the strings. I created "Fubar" logos for my partscasters. This amp became a proud addition to the Fubar product line. I call it the Fubar Vanilla Cream.

photo 1-1.JPG

The mama bear of the trio is my treasured 1962 6G2 brown Princeton. This amp is probably the thing I would hold on to if I had to give up every worldly possession except one. I bought it in about 1985 for $15. Like it's little brother above, it does a great job of going from sweet to nasty depending on touch. It also has what I think is the coolest trem in the world. Works perfect for low to medium volume gigs or rehearsal.

photo 1.JPG

Papa bear is my 1965 blackface Vibrolux reverb. If you have ever played one, I don't have to explain why I need it. Perfect for medium to as high a volume gig as I'll ever want to play. It has a fair bit of beautiful cleans but will break up nicely before getting to a SPL that rips your face off yet still keeps up well with fairly frisky drummers.

Vibrolux.JPG

With those three bad boys, I feel like I pretty much have all my bases covered.

12. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Been using these dollies for years to store my amps. Probably Harbor Freight for $10.00.
    I’ve actually cut down larger dollies to perfectly fit my larger amps.

My previous home had a water line leak in a newly remodeled master bath and I woke up to a flooded house. These dollies saved my amp collection and luckly, the only area in the house that did not get wet, was in a corner were my guitars were stored in cases.

13. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Just show your wife how bad the rest of us are and she'll understand that you having a few amps is (comparatively) not that bad.:lol::lol::lol:

JustABluesGuy, keithb7 and jimash like this.

14. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I also owned a 1965 Vibrolux Reverb. The best Reverb of any BF or SF Fender amp that I owned and the voice of angels with the volume above four (4).

15. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Like TWIX™ candies...a LEFT one and a RIGHT one!

16. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    8 tube amps and 1 solid state - I just accumulated these over the years and like.
    Just 2 Fenders, a brown Deluxe and a '70s SF Vibrolux are vintage types.
    I've owned quite a few more over a 50 year period.

AlbertaGriff likes this.

17. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    Don't have too many excess amps. Got rid of a year or so ago of ones I hadn't used in years. These days I play out mostly acoustic gigs but I still have a few amps for all different size gigs.

Still have.

Tubes and SS

64 Guild Thunderbird Amp
    82 JCM 800
    5E3 copy
    Tube Works 65 Watt
    Princeton Copy (tweed)
    Fender FM25r
    Fender FM65R
    Frontman 15 turned into head with Sound City 2X10
    FM65DSP turned into head
    Peavey Citation Mark IV
    Carvin SX200
    MOdded Epi Valve Junior head. (Gain on both stages plus tone)
    Crate stereo chorus head.
    I have 2 Sunn Beta lead cabs for use with the heads.

I also have a Traynor PA, Crate PA CAbs and a pair of Roland Street EX PA/Amps which is what I use most as I do mostly acoustic gigs now.

bparnell57 likes this.

18. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Some sweeeet amps you all have,

Let's see...I have 8 at the moment,

Vox Lil Night Train - creamy smooth distortion at low levels
    Vox AC15C1 - I really like this amp, especially with Teles, and Ricks. Its never really clean, but has a wide range of crunch that is easy to get to and control
    73 Silverface Champ - Cuz everyone needs a Champ right?
    VHT Special 6 Head - It's a fun amp, not too loud, sounds great with the tone stack bypassed
    Fender Concert with EVM12L- Versatile 60 watts of tube goodness - mid boost and the EVM make for some very nice cleans
    60s Gibson GA-8 Discoverer - This was a gift from a good friend, recently serviced, sounds great from quiet to dimed
    Allen Accomplice Jr. currently with 6L6s - Very versatile grab and go, the 6L6s keep it clean at surprising levels, but its easy to dial in dirt with the RAW control and MV
    Egnater Renegade 20 Head with 2-12 cab - This was an emergency hack, it's not bad, has a lot of features, but it doesnt get as much use as the others.

jimash likes this.

19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Today's tube amps shown below. The collection evolves.
    Top to bottom L-R, here we go:

Tuxedo Princton 6G2 clone that I built from scratch as a head unit. I love the 6G2 circuit, but also love cab options. So the head is justified.

Under it, is a 1947 Masco MA-35 I believe it is. Came from an old church in San Francisco. It was broken and stupid cheap. So I fixed it and it goes well with the head/cab thing I like so, you know...I bought it.

Right of those is a Fishman Loudbox. Awesome acoustic and vocal amp. Use it with my acoustic guitar. So I need that. My only acoustic amp.

Adjacent to that is a Tweed Princeton 5F2A clone that I built. I wanted tweed tone that I could crank up. This 5W amp serves that purpose. Plus, amp building is addictive. I use excuses like my Birthday or Christmas to buy parts to build another tube amp.

Top Right: 1971 Vibrolux Reverb. Bought from original owner's widow. She could not lift it to move it and was selling her home. I was born in 1971, so I had to have this one. It's my soul-amp.

Second row left: 1962 Brownie Vibrolux. My only brown amp. I have all the other main Fender eras covered and I was missing a brownie. So I had to buy it. 28W 2 6L6 1x12. Only amp of that construction I own. So it's justifed. "Yes honey I have 2 amps that say Fender Vibrolux on them. However they are not the same amp. One is black with optocoupler vibrato, other is brown with bias wiggle vibrato." Then she leaves confused. LOL.

Next, Tweed Super 5F4A clone amp. I have a Bassman (more to come below) and its loud. This 2X10 is only half a Bassman. Right? So I thought, I should own this. Check, and justified!

Moving across, 1959 Vintage 5E3 Tweed Deluxe amp. Found this for less than the price of an anniversary dinner out. Had to drive 5.5 hours one way to get it. But totally worth it. Totally justify-able. A 5E3 was my first amp in 1981. I let it go in a brain-fart move 20 years ago. Lucky to get one back. Was 100% original when I found it, DOA.

Big Blonde vintage 1963 Twin amp. My only amp with Harmonic Vibrato. Found DOA and in black tolex. Sent cab to St Louis for restoration. I serviced the circuit. All is well. Killer find. How can you walk away from a blonde Twin? laying in the ditch crying? I dare you. I can justify that one...I think.

Bottom left: 1964 Bandmaster and matching cab with stock 1964 Jensen C12N speakers. My first ever vintage tube Fender amp. (as an adult fanatic. 5E3 in 1981 does not count I was young and dumb) I was ecstatic to land my fist. How could I ever let my first BF one go? Nope. I hang on to this one. Great amp for cover band stuff! Justified!

Next we have a 1972 Ampeg all tube, V4-B with Fender 2x10 bass cab. This Ampeg was found DOA. I had never played bass before. Sounds fun. I bought this Ampeg for el-cheapo and serviced it. Then I had to buy myself a bass guitar. I never owned one. So now I have a Bass setup with a Fender Jazz Bass. Geddy-Lee signature model. I need to keep this Ampeg amp so I can play it with my Bass. What good is a Jazz bass without an amp dear wife? I need to keep this bass amp. It's the only bass amp I have.

Bottom right: 1960 5F6-A Bassman. Why? Because it is so d.a.m.n cool and respected. What an amp! This amp is a keeper dear. "I flat out veto your complaints about having too many amps. This amp will not be discussed further, ever again. If you make me sell this amp, I will...Right after you sell your wedding ring." :lol:

Missing from pic 1968 Traynor YGM-2. DOA. Got it for free. It's all there. Thinking I will gut it and build an 18W TMB out of it. Later when I get a bigger amp room. Also missing is a Katana 50W I bought in December. Can I justify it?..."It's my only solid state amp. Its great for late night practicing. I can use head phones too. So you won't hear me when you're in bed dear."

That's all folks. My poor wife...

How many is that? 14? Crap I need to downsize.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

20. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I see we have similar tastes in shelving.

1515807524479.jpg

24 track and keithb7 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.