Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

This is the "How Many Amps Do You Own" thread

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Jan 12, 2018.

1. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2013
    North Idaho
    I'm currently downsizing, but I still have a few...

1) Marshall Lead 12 - it's a great little practice amp, with pedals or straight into the front. I use it almost every day.

2) Marshall JCM2000 DSL201 - 20 watts of Marshally goodness. This was my main amp for the last few years I was a full timer. Light, loud and toney. It's a keeper.

3) Carvin X100b half stack - a real one (1988), not the 3/4 size reissue that barely resembles the early ones in tone or versatility - one extra large order of overkill coming up! I do love this amp, but seriously have no practical use for it anymore. I rarely run it at 100 watts (usually it's set at 25 watts with a 1x12 cab), but it is a ton of fun...

4) 1964 Showman head - this was one of my Dad's restoration projects. Still needs a couple of tube sockets.

5) GK MB112 and MBP112 extension cab - super lightweight (30ish pounds each), ample power and killer tone.

6) SWR 750X Pro and Goliath III 4x10 - also a holdover from my full time on call days. A tone monster. Unfortunately, the head weighs 30 ponds more than my entire 400 watt GK 2x12 setup.

The X-amp and the SWR are most likely going bye-bye in the near future. I'm old and they're heavy. The GK has already replaced the SWR anyway. I've got a line on a nice Bassman head that will replace the Carvin.....

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I only have four, but one is a keyboard amp and one is a mobile, so those don't count.

With tax refund time coming up, I may splurge on something vintage, probably a Fender. But I don't know what I'm doing with vintage amps, so I'm afraid.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    2016 '68 Custom Princeton Reverb
    Vibro Champ XD
    Mesa Boogie Subway Blues
    Tweed USA ProJr
    Peavey Audition 110
    1981 Fender 75
    1967 Fender Bassman w/ 2/12 cab.
    1/12 cab with EVM12

Line 6 Lowdown 110 Studio bass amp
    Rickenbacker RB35 bass amp ( not working)

4. grilldanmo

grilldanmo Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2017
    United States of America
    Two.

- Blues DeVille 2x12
    - Mustang 1

And one preamp

- MESA V-Twin pedal v1

5. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm 20 years old and trade gear like a mad man. Worked to buy everything I own.

Vox AC30CC2 w/ road case and alnico golds

Dr Z. Maz 38 NR 2x12 in surf green w/ road case and brake lite attenuator

Fender Super Six Reverb combo (getting traded for a more immaculate AC30CC2 to replace my other one, plus cash)

Muchxs 5F1 champ with alnico 6x9

Mesa Boogie Mark III combo with Altec 417-8H

1976 Ampeg VT-22 with Altec 417 dia-cone's

1983 Peavey Butcher Head (JCM 800 clone)

x2 current generation Roland Micro Cube amps (red and white)

Original model Pignose amp for the workbench

60's Premier Twin 8 combo

Vox VT20+ modeling amp with upgraded preamp tube and Weber CVC8 speaker

Airline 3 watt "widowmaker" combo in need of repair (35W4, 12AU6, 50C5)

Clone of a classic white marshall 4x12 loaded with Splawn Big Blocks (G12H30 clone by Eminence) and WGS Veteran 30's

(in progress build) 36 watt 4xEL84 marshall TMB circuit with some Vox and Trainwreck tweaks, in a white Bluesbreaker style 2x12 cab by Sourmash. Not sure what speakers yet. Probably a pair of Boogie MC90's

Howard Dumble Tweedle Dee chassis coming soon. I'll be putting it in a custom dimensioned blonde tweed deluxe style cabinet. Not sure what speaker yet.

x2 Fender 400 PS Amp heads. 485 watts each, with custom 3x12 column cabs for each one. Use the 970 watt rig for hammond (own two B3's), guitar, and bass.

1515781326901.jpg

1515781344619.jpg

1515781371322.jpg

SheldonP, jimash, 24 track and 7 others like this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    '69 Twin Reverb. Self explanatory.

'71 Super Reverb with original CTS Alnico speakers. Syrupy smooth cleans.

'77 Deluxe Reverb. Board was conductive, so it got a full rebuild. Garolite board on standoffs, cloth wiring, Jupiter caps, BF circuit. Currently sporting a JBL D120F.

Allen Encore kit build. Think single channel Vibrolux, and bias vary trem. 35 watts, 6L6, but it'll also take 6V6s.

Just finishing up a 4 year Weber ReVibe build: outboard reverb spring tank, coupled with the wacky harmonic tremolo / vibrato found in a '60 Concert.

Fishman Loudbox Mini, for the K&K pickup in my Martin OM.

To me, each of the old Fenders has a unique voice. Like playing a different guitar, using a different pick, it's just another tonal option. I'm not so much seeking holy grail tone, as I am simply enjoying the variety.

I'd like to build a large tweed circuit next, but with reverb and more harmonic vibrato. Like Mark Baier's Golden Melody. Then I may need a Duo Jet to play through it... And some baggy pleat-front slacks, and Hawaiian shirt.

7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    I'll play. Since I'm single, and I got both my kids through college, I seem to be in an accumulation phase. Probably time to get rid of a few. But here's the pile, small to large:

Pignose, battery-powered, bought it to play an outdoor folkish show, it worked.

Gibson GA-5 Les Paul, a Champ, more or less.

AC15c1

Gibson GA-15, same as the Trace-Elliot Velocette

Ceriatone OTS Mini 20, Dumble front end with a 2x6v6 power section

Orange TH30 combo

Bad Cat Black Cat 30

Blackface Bandmaster in a repro brown cabinet / brown faceplate with 3x10 speakers

Orange Rockerverb 50 Mark III / Avatar 2x12 closed-back cab with V30s

Oh yeah, and a Blues Junior that lives at the rehearsal space.

For a long time, the standard small gig rig was the AC15 and the Bad Cat for anything big. Lately it's been the TH30 for small stuff -- it dials back to 7 watts if you need it to, has an amazing clean tone -- and the Rockerverb for bigger venues. I could cheerfully get rid of the GA-15, the Ceriatone and the bandmaster but I'm currently too lazy to do anything about it.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Let's see...

'52 National "Champ" Got it for free unworking, had it fixed. Great Lap Steel amp

'80's Peavey Backstage Plus. I played a friend's Bandit and decided I wanted one. The Backstage was $20.00 + shipping. How could I resist? It's a good clean platform that's easy to move.

'90's Rivera S120-210. I wanted a stereo amp to replace a rack rig. It's been a great amp. Heavy though.

'90 Mesa Boogie Studio .22+ Small amp that's easy to gig with.

'90 Mesa Boogie MK I RI Hardwood Cabinet. I was going for a Santana kind of vibe. Beautiful amp. Weighs a ton.

'72 Traynor Bassmaster. I heard they were sleeper amps. I had two for a while. A good solid amp. With a Real Tube Reverb patched between the channels it makes my Fender amps jealous. I use a Dean Markley 4 x 12" or a 1 x 12" with an EVM 12L with it.

'68 Fender Bandmaster Reverb. Almost a Super Reverb head. I had a channel revoiced and the reverb put on both channels. I want to put it in a 3 x 10" combo cab. I found it in a pawn shop for a little over $300.

'68 Fender Dual Showman Reverb. I played a Twin Reverb for years, but had sold it. This was the replacement. I use a 2 x 12" cab with JBL K-120's.

Vox AC-15 from around Y2K. British Made. Has the Eminence "Bulldog" speaker, which I love. Why? Everyone needs a good Vox!

Why do I feel I'm forgetting something?

9. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2010
    everett wa
    Vox AC10
    Vox VT30
    Marshall JTM 60 1990'S
    78 Deluxe reverb
    Ampeg J12R

10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Things in my mind:

Where are all the pictures the OP requested?

This made me realise I have a lot of boring amps... that I have scattered around my own home and others ... and all have been bought used on the basis of 'this is so cheap I cannot refuse it' apart from a tiny squier practice amp

JustABluesGuy and bparnell57 like this.
  11. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    After a big gear sell off 5 years ago, I'm down to a Peavey Studio Pro, Crate V 33 with 2x12 cab, a Crate Taxi, a Roland Street Cube and a few other odds and ends I can't quite remember!

The studio pro stays at church as I use it for worship. The Taxi and Cube are used for both electric and acoustic. I could actually do a small gig with them. Running them stereo provides a huge all of sound and the volume is impressive. Sometimes I use a Digitech Expression pedal and the tone is amazing for small, battery powered amps.

The Crate V33 was so cheap, I purchased it to flip. However, after using it, I really liked it. I need to get it from my friends house where it's lived the past 3 years, but have no room for it in out tiny place.

The reality is the Peavey does everything I need, but I can't seem to let the others go.

12. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I take horrible pictures, but that;s most of 'em.

24 track and bparnell57 like this.
  13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Behringer 10watt practice amp - Blew up after 8months - Converted into a Ruby Amp and it sounds better.

First Act 5watt found on curbside - changed input cap to .1uf and crappy speaker out for a subwoofer and use it for a Bass Amp.

Crate G20C XL - Recently died and replaced guts with my Dual 386 chip bridged style amp design.

Silvertone 1482 Tube Amp - Found on the curbside - replaced cord and fixed speaker - needs to have the caps replaced.

1957 Motorola Tube Amp from a Turntable - bought at yard sale for 20 bucks - will turn it into a Bass/Acoustic Tube Amp

Realistic 20watt PA - wired to a 1957 Fisher 15" speaker for acoustic.

kookaburra likes this.
  14. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    I have 3.

Vox AC 15. Because I love the sound of a Vox, and I will never play anywhere I need an AC 30.

Fender Bassbreaker 007. Because the AC 15 is freaking heavy, I wanted something that was small and portable, and these Bassbreakers sound killer.

Peavey Max 100 bass amp. Because I need a bass amp once in a blue moon, the price was right, and it sounds decent.

I would like to build a 5E3 one of these days, just to see if I can. But after that, I think I'm done.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    At the moment I'm down to 2, a Z28 style tube amp by local builder Rob Hinson, and a Boss Katana 100 1-12 combo.

Subject to additions of course !

16. Clash Telecaster

Clash Telecaster Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2017
    New York
    Eight amps -- best is my Fender Princeton Chorus.

VOX AC30
    [​IMG]

VOX Pathfinder
    [​IMG]

VOX AC4
    [​IMG]

Fender Princeton Chorus
    [​IMG]

Roland Jazz Chorus 77
    [​IMG]

Crate Taos acoustic amp
    [​IMG]

Crate G60 XL (my first amp)
    [​IMG]

Fender Rumble 25 - bass amp
    [​IMG]

24 track and Piggy Stu like this.
  17. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Five.

1. Avatar 45 head (JTM 45ish clone) Fairly recent purchase. For rock.

2. Trinity 18 head (Marshall 18 clone w/some distinct tweaks). Had this one for years, seen a fair amount of action. For rock. I have two Avatar Greenback 10 loaded 2x10 cabs for this and the above Avatar.

3. Tungsten Mosaic II 1x12 combo. Just got this, my first foray into tweed territory.

4. Laney LC15 1x10 combo. Bought this some years ago as a grab n go for smaller room blues gigs. It has been a real workhorse for me!

5. Roland Micro Cube. Had this for years, good for around the house practice.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  18. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    I just sold my Peavey Backstage Plus amp that I bought new in 1983ish. I'm trying to edge into minimalism territory slowly but surely. I still have:

1. Blackheart Killer Ant head - one watt all tube amp made for a short time by Crate, I believe. An on/off switch, volume, and red glow indicator is all it has. I play it through an Orange 8" cabinet.

2. Vox Pathfinder 15 without reverb. If I ever find a 15R, I'll snap it up and let this one go.

3. Fender Mustang I. I got this super cheap. It's great for plugging in my laptop to listen to and play along with online lessons.

19. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    50 Watt Marshall Rock - gigging amp
    40 Watt Fender - Cleaner gigging amp
    30 Watt Genz Benz - home/recording amp
    22 Watt Fender - Small gig amp
    10 Watt Tech 21 - Old Practice amp
    400 Watt Peavey bass amp.

I'd love a 5E3, but I'm ok with this stuff.

20. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Fender Frontman 25R - because it's handy for checking stuff (bench amp) + headphone out; no picture required.

'63 Gibson "Discoverer" GA-8T; despite designation, this version is an 18W, 2-EL84 with the 10" oval speaker; sounds muy wayno. gigged for 2 years at weekly gig.
    GA 8t.JPG

Ampeg Gemini II 1967; rated at 33 watts, I think, could be wrong. Why: came with original 1X15 Jensen and NOS tubes, but didn't cost much. Has a cooler sound and some wacky click-stop tremolo that is unique, but rarely used. I have humped this to a few gigs, but I just like having it around. Sweet thing to plug into at the end of a stress day. previous owner's cat added extra ventilation to grill cloth...
    Ampeg Gemini II 1X15.jpg

1968 (based on catalog data) Knight 3245 PA amp - 45 watts, 2 6L6's, tube rectified. Many have used this guy as a harmonica amp. Currently paired with a newish Kustom 1X15 cab, sounds pretty solid as a bass amp. I only play bass at one or two gigs per year, so...
    October 2017 044.jpg

My current gigging amp is a 1970 SF Princeton (no-verb) extra sweet. Nobody here should need a picture of that.

Latest add is a '66 Tremolux head. Needed new filter caps, etc. Building a 2X10 cab with the Legend 1028k speakers; got the pine box done and the birch ply baffle cut, progress has been slow, because, stuff. This is one of my holy grail amps.
    Tremolux head just arrived.jpg

Lastly, I own one-half of a '68ish drip-edge SF Bassman. Went in halfsies with a friend who is a recording engineer. He keeps it at his studio, but I can borrow whenever. Has a 2X15 cab. I do like 15's. I don't do many outdoor gigs anymore but it's great for that. I'm not sure I like it as much as he does, so I don't miss it until I see it again, 'bout once a week or so.

24 track and Dadzmad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.