Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

This is the "How Many Amps Do You Own" thread

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Jan 12, 2018.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Two. I call them "the Bookends".

'74 Super Reverb
    Pro Junior (60th Anniversary "Woody")

Bases pretty much covered with those two, although I have been pondering getting something to sit between them. Almost bought a Blackstar HT Studio 20 last week for that purpose. It would also serve as something more portable than the Super and as something more "disposable that wouldn't break my hear if it got beat up.

2. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    I've had only three: the Yamaha amp, the Vox Pathfinder and the the Vox Mini Rhythm. I kept the Mini and sold the other three. With the number of guitars I have, I don't need to start a collection of amps.

Laura

3. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    West Island, Quebec
    Down to 2 now.

1. Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. 30 watts. It was my only amp from 2000 to 2016. EL84's, baby!

2. Tone King Sky King. 35 watts, dual 6L6, 12" Creamback, pentode and ultra-linear mode, dual attenuators, 4 and 8 ohm out selector. Blackface/Tweed/early Marshall (pentode), Valco/Supro (ultra-linear). Sexy.

3. JUST sold my Tone King Falcon. 12 watts, ultra-linear, 6V6, 3 voicings. Sadly, the Sky King has the Falcon built in (minus the super cool 10" speaker), and I promised myself I'd take some of the ouch out of the Sky King purchase price. Sold it for what I paid, so got to play for free for over a year.

IMG_0382.JPG IMG_1612.JPG

Recce and Nick Fanis like this.
  4. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    Three.

Pignose, because of course.

Blues Junior III, because the Pignose isn't always loud enough, and guitars don't sound good through the...

Rumble 100, which is what I run the P-Bass through.

5. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Currently there are 3 amps in the house, though I only own 1 of them (the children own the others).

1. THR-10 It would have been a bit of a toss-up between the THR-10 and THR-10C, but I was an early adopter and so I bought mine before the C was available.

2. Little pink battery amp. This came with my daughter's Jay Turser mini guitar.

3. Some no-name little practice amp. This came with an awful strat that I passed on to someone who needed it. Now belongs to my son.

I may buy another one in the next year or two. I like the THR-10 a lot, but it really doesn't do loud at all. Maybe something like a Katana 212/100. Don't really need or want tubes.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Modded Hiwatt Lead 50
    Glaswerks Deluxe Overdrive
    Ceriatone OTS (modded)
    Heavily modded Fender twin Reverb
    Kitty Hawk M1
    VHT Special 6 Ultra (modded for cleans)
    VHT Special 6 Ultra (modded for optimized OD/distortion)
    Modded AIMS (Point to Point SLO w/ reverb) running KT120 power tubes
    Vox VT40+
    Ace Pepper Shortblock (mini high gain marshall)

7. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I’ve finally have all the amps I need after buying and selling all last years.

Peavey Classic 30 combo
    Crate VC50 3x10 combo

I have s Marshall 4x12 and a Laney 2x12 cab I’ll switch depending on the size of the gig. So the heads:

Epiphone Valve Jr
    Epiphone Valve Sr.
    Bad Cat Cougar 50
    Bogner Alchemist
    Crate VC50

8. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    1. Ace Tone Bass 6 - 'cuz it's the first amp I ever owned
    2. Tech21 Trademark 60 - 'cuz I haven't managed to sell it yet (was my main amp for 17 years, still like it)
    3. Fender Pro Jr, stock - rehearsal and grab 'n' go amp
    4. Fender Pro Jr, bigger cabinet, Eminence "the Wizard" speaker - when I wanna be a slightly louder, slightly rougher guitar guy
    5. Bugera AC60 - 'cuz I sometimes still do the occasional solo acoustic gig.
    6. Acoustic B200 - 'cuz I might get a bass gig. (This might be next on the chopping block. It's not carrying it's weight.)

I'm still on a quest to downsize since we moved to a smaller place in retirement. Eventually I hope to be down to just three amps.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    3+1

Greta -2W for the living room.
    Champ 12 for pedals and gigging (originally for surf guitar)
    VHT S6U head with custom cab for blues jams.

Crate BT15 for bass (traded a SS guitar amp for this with my wife). She has a few amps of her own.:eek:

I live off grid, so very restricted by watts (but love tubes:rolleyes: and my wife).

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  10. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    I have two, both inexpensive solid state amps. (Fender Frontman 212R, Roland Cube 40 GX) I've been playing professionally for nearly a decade, but for most of that time I've been going direct to PA with modelers of various kinds, so I only occasionally drag out the amps, although we're switching back to amps soon open up the monitors for vocals, and I've been eyeing the new Katana amps for that reason! (Cheap, light, and with Boss reliability. What's not to like?)

11. Reverb

Reverb TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Orcutt, Ca.
    1. 1975 Bronco
    2. 1975 Princeton Reverb
    3. 2002 Delux Reverb
    4. 1995 Blond Custom Vibrolux Reverb w/ Moyer mod.

12. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    Right now I count 9:

'90's Deluxe 112 SS - My first amp as I got back into electric guitar in the '90's
    SCXD in 12" cabinet - Because I wanted a "modeling" amp for practice.
    '90's Pro Tube Concert Amp - Because I needed something compact, yet hot for gigging
    Vibroverb RI - Because I loved my modded CVR but wanted the "real thing"
    Bandmaster VM - I thought built-in effects was a good idea...
    Dual Showman Reverb - Because I wanted a "real" Fender tube head for outside shows.
    Ampeg Jet II J12T - Because I wanted a low-wattage all-tube amp that was not a Fender.
    Ampeg Rocket Bass B100R amp - For the occasional bass gig.
    Pignose - Because everyone should have one, shouldn't they?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Wyzsard and t guitar floyd like this.
  13. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    1969 Sunn Sonaro image.jpeg 60's era Gene Leis head which might have been made by Massie image.jpeg 60's era Panaramic 1210 image.jpeg Early production (1959) Gretsch Stereo King, this unit has significantly different design features than any other Stereo King I've ever found. image.jpeg This subject comes up quite a bit as I guess many of us are just amp freaks. I never fail to throw my collection in so OP I hope you knew what you were getting into.......
    More to follow

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    24 track, Stubee, Dadzmad and 4 others like this.
  14. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    60's era WEM 2-10" 15 watt Pick-A-Back image.jpeg 1967 Goya Barracuda 2xEL34 head featuring tremolo, reverb and a germanium transistor fuzz section as found in the Goya Panther pedal image.jpeg 1968? Sano 300s image.jpeg 1965 Univox U75. One of the cheapest, yet best sounding amps of the ENTIRE collection image.jpeg

15. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    1946 Gibson BR3, one of only 79 ever produced image.jpeg 1953 GA40 from Joe Bonamassas collection image.jpeg image.jpeg left to right....1962 Klemt Echolette BS40 with factory 2-12" cab, 60's era Hofner Verstarker60 with reproduction cab by J Design, 1968 Selmer Treble and Bass 50 w/reverb and the matching "David" cab with original 15" Goodman. image.jpeg shot of a bunch of stuff piled up. In this shot you can see a 1967 Bandmaster 2-10" conversion and a 60's era Lesmann 500 on the left side one above the other. The Lesmann is another "sleeper" amp that is capable of stunning tone with just a few tweaks.

Nick Fanis, 24 track, Dadzmad and 3 others like this.
  16. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    1964 Ric Supersonic B16A with factory 4-10" cab recovered at J Design image.jpeg 1967 Bassman and 2-12" cab image.jpeg 1960 Ampeg Rhapsody image.jpeg 1965 Thunderbolt image.jpeg 1968? Guild Thunderbass with 2xJBL D140 cab image.jpeg

Nick Fanis, 24 track, Dadzmad and 5 others like this.
  17. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    image.jpeg Here is a 60's era Hohner Orgaphon 41MH 2-10 35 watt. Not pictured are a 1960 all tube Standel J3015t, a 1956 Gretsch Executive, 40's era Electromuse A46 and a '68 Gretsch Pro Bass.

Why do I have them? Truthfully I just love collecting unusual amps. I can't afford a dozen 50's era tweeds and I find these more interesting anyway. Many of these do go out to gigs.

18. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Really? Oh my. I need to wait until I get home. Think about how to justify all my amps.

Maybe I’ll just re-tell here, what I tell my wife.

24 track and t guitar floyd like this.
  19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Two Vox Pathfinder Reverbs, because they sound great, were inexpensive. I use these for the rare gigs I still do, and for our frequent garage sessions.

A Fender Pro Junior because it was cheap new many years ago, sounds great. I used it on a bit louder stages, where I can crank it.

A SF Princeton Reverb, because it sounds great, is lighter than the MM RD50-112 it replaced, & didn’t cost much having been just serviced. Strangely enough, I mostly use it at home.

A Mustang II v1. Was very cheap, has a lotta great sounds but I don’t use it much because it’s too complicated for my tastes.

A Peavey Royal 8, because it was cheap!

An old Sunn 4X10 cab I can run anything thru, again because it sounds great & was basically free!

The common denominator here is “sounds great”.

20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    My name's Fiesta Red.
    I have several amps.
    I am an amp-aholic and I'm not ashamed, nor will I reform anytime soon.

2000 Fender '63-reissue Vibroverb.
    Bought new-in-the-box in 2002.
    Tube amp.
    The best amp I've ever owned...equally good for harp (harmonica) and guitar, rich and loud and expressive and sweet reverb and great Vibrato/Tremolo/whatever-you-call-it...sounds good at low volumes, sounds great at gig volumes, sounds stupendous when it's cranked. Plenty of clean headroom. Takes pedals well, but sounds great without them. Small/light enough to be transported, Big enough to be heard. This is my desert-island, go-to-the-grave-with-me amp.

1972/3/4? Gibson G-20
    Solid state amp.
    My first amp, purchased in 1989 for $25 and three beers. Sounds really good for what it is...a simple, solid-state student amp. Nice and clean all the way up. Takes pedal well. Best Vibrato/Tremolo/Whatever-you-call-it I've ever heard in my life...if I could find an electronic engineer to build me a pedal that sounded like this vibrato, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Extreme sentimental value (first amp) added to good sound.

Early-manufacture-run Pignose G40V amp.
    Tube amp.
    I like the looks.
    I love the size and portability.
    I "meh" the sound.
    I mean Extreme Meh.
    I had high hopes after reading reviews, but I was let down. I don't have the energy to start modding it to change it to something usable, so I'm glad I got it cheap, because I can sell it for significantly more.

Pignose Legendary 7-100.
    If you like these, you know why I have it and why I keep it.
    If you don't like these, you have no soul.

196? Silvertone 1843 bass amp head.
    Tube amp.

Picked it up cheap under weird circumstances. Paired it with a friend's homemade 2x12 cabinet (with a Cannabis Rex and a Tone Tubby speaker contingency), which has been permanently loaned to me. Fat, funky, a little boomy, very cool looking...great lo-fi sounding amp. Not a lot of headroom. Doesn't sound too great for bass, but that could be the speaker cabinet as much as the too-low wattage rating. You have to be cautious with the use of pedals, because it gets real boomy if you inject any low-mid/bass boost into it. If I were to be playing a hard-edged heavy blues/heavy classic rock/Southern Gothic gig (think Black Keys or White Stripes or Dorothy), this is the one I'd bring. It rocks hard.

BONUS:
    Fender Rumble 150 (vs.2) bass amp.
    Solid state
    Bought it for my daughter, a fledgling bassist. Sounds very good for bass, and loud enough to keep up with a normal drummer. Good clean bass sounds, and with the built-in overdrive engaged, it can get that Dusty Hill "Rhino-farting-into-a-trash-can" sound that I love.
    Works decently as a keyboard amp. Sounds above-decent for guitar, especially with some effects pedals. A good $125 investment.

ON THE G.A.S. LIST:
    Supro 1622T Tremo-Verb
    (reissue).
    I have played through three or 4 of these, and they seem to be a '63-reissue Vibroverb cut in half (wattage-wise, and with a single 10" speaker)...correspondingly, the weight is even less than my 63VVRI as well (slightly heavier than a PRRI but lighter than a DRRI), which makes my old bones happy...this may or may not join the herd after the sale of the Pignose G40V...the final test is what it sounds like with a Harp mic. Of course, it costs significantly more than I'd ever make from that Pignose. Sounds great. Excellent vibrato/Tremolo/whatever-you-call-it. Looks cool.

Fender Eric Clapton signature Tremolux combo.
    Similar comments to the Supro listed above.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.